Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Margaret Ester Hawker

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 18 Mar 2015 23:19

Is it possible anyone in the Worthing area could check the electoral roll for my grandmother, Margaret Hawker, from 1920 to 1922. She married my grandfather, Frank Hawker in April 1920 in Worthing and my Aunt was born in Folkestone in September 1922. My grandfather was in the army and I gather they married whilst he was home on leave by special licence. I can't find anything in the Pike's directory or the electoral roll for them until 1923 in Folkestone. I am wondering whether my grandmother stayed in Worthing possibly with her mother, Louisa Tatham.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 18 Mar 2015 23:29

You would need the address to check the electoral registers and even if they were in Worthing then someone needs to visit the library

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 19 Mar 2015 00:07

Was she on the register 1923, or just Frank? I think she was born 1896? So about 26 in 1922, so unlikely to be on electoral register.
Jan

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 19 Mar 2015 00:16

What exactly are you trying to find out?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 19 Mar 2015 08:56

I believe the electoral rolls held at the main library's are only searchable by address not by name

There is or was a Army camp at Shorncliffe so possibly they lived in married quarters which is why auntie was born there

Usually too you have to wait to be housed by the army after the marriage

Know this as daughter married an army guy and he was at Shorncliffe and she had to wait 3 months to be housed in Folkestone

Not really sure what you are looking for .you would have their home address on the aunts birth cert

Linda

Linda Report 19 Mar 2015 12:27

What I am trying to establish is where my grandmother might have been living between 1920 and Sept 1922. I can't make out the address on her marriage certificate it is something Villas, Worthing. My grandfather was with the RHA working at the drill hall in Folkestone. My mother was born in 1924 in the same Terrace as the drill hall obviously army quarters. Unfortunately my Aunt's birth certificate has not come to light,the family are still looking for it but I suspect she was born at the same address as my mother. We think my grandfather went to India after the marriage but she would not go with him. I am beginning to think this is going to be another one of those unsolved mysteries.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 19 Mar 2015 12:56

So as a starter

Marriages Jun 1920
Harris Margaret E Hawker E.Preston 2b 1003
Hawker Frank Harris E.Preston 2b 1003

3 children all born Folkestone area. Elham covers it

Births Sep 1922
Hawker Doris I Harris Elham 2a 2035

Births Mar 1924
Hawker Jean M Harris Elham 2a 1906

Births Mar 1928
Hawker Patricia M Harris Elham 2a 1845

Linda

Linda Report 19 Mar 2015 14:16

You are getting hang of it. Doris and Jean both born at same address Pat and two boys, Malvern born 1931 and Gordon born 1933 were born at a different address in FOLKESTONE. I live in Folkestone so am familiar with the area. Grandad was a life long soldier and stayed living in Folkestone until his death in 1959. I think he had to come out of the army in 1956 according to records I have found.