Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Thomas Hardy/Esther Louise Swan

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Terence

Terence Report 20 Feb 2015 13:56

Hi,everyone.Is there any way I can see a visual record of inhabitants of 32,Waterloo Vale,South Shields between approx.1918 and 1920's.I'm obviously looking for the names above and any others living with them.Any help would be appreciated.

Yours hopefully,Terry L.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 20 Feb 2015 14:15

Are they husband and wife ?

Thomas Hardy married an Edith E Swan in 1923 - edited should have read 1913

Can you get to the library local to that address to view electoral registers ?

Allison

Allison Report 20 Feb 2015 14:18

Hi Terence

There is a death certificate on another ancestry site. Esther died 30 August 1921 at 1 Moor Lane, West Horton but the address of 32 Waterloo Vale is shown as well. I have downloaded it to my computer in case you would like it. Let me know.

Regards

Allison

Allison

Allison Report 20 Feb 2015 14:20

Esther Louise Swan is shown as spinster on the death certificate.

Allison

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 20 Feb 2015 14:21

So how is she related to Thomas then ?

Name: Esther L Swan
Birth Date: abt 1882
Date of Registration: Sep 1921
Age at Death: 39
Registration district: South Shields
Inferred County: Durham
Volume: 10a
Page: 832

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 20 Feb 2015 14:28

Another possible death in the same area

Deaths Dec 1920 (>99%)
SWAN Esther L 70 S. Shields 10a 810

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 20 Feb 2015 14:45

Is this the answer, look where she is in 1911, is Thomas a relative of this family

Name: Esther Swan
Age in 1911: 32

Estimated birth year: abt 1879
Relation to Head: Servant

Birth Place: So Shields, Durham, England

Civil Parish: South Shields
County/Island: Durham

Street address: 29 Orange St So Shields

Marital Status: Single

Registration district: South Shields
Registration District Number: 556
Sub-registration district: South Shields
ED, institution, or vessel: 29
Piece: 30288

Household Members:

Name Age

John Hardy 57
Edward Hardy 37
John Hardy 24
Mary Hardy 73
Ellen Hardy 19
Magret Hardy 10
Sarah Anne Hardy 6
Esther Swan 32
John Kane

Terence

Terence Report 20 Feb 2015 14:50

Thanks for replies,everybody.It appears they were living together, and had children,
but not married.Allison,I did see death cert.you mentioned.I was hoping to see if there were electoral records,or something,that would give inhabitants of 32,Waterloo Vale and show who lived there.Is that possible??Not sure!!
Edith E.Swan is a different family.

Regards,Terry L.

Allison

Allison Report 20 Feb 2015 15:00

The note on a tree states under the death certificate ' Address same as Thomas Hardy's although they are not married.' I assume that to mean they lived together. I don't know at this stage whose address is 1 Moor Lane (where she died) and whose address is the one Terence was asking about - 32 Waterloo Vale. Her father's name was Julius Swan, if that helps?
Allison

Terence

Terence Report 20 Feb 2015 15:12

Thanks,Allison.It seems they definitely lived together,and I think they had children together.It is also possible that Thomas Hardy's mother died at 32,Waterloo Vale according to a family member.The plot thickens.Ha.? I would love to find something that actually shows all this.Will keep trying.
All the best.Terry L.

Terence

Terence Report 20 Feb 2015 15:15

Allison. Would like a copy of death cert.you mentioned.You can send direct to me at
[email protected], if that's OK?
Regards,Terry L.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 20 Feb 2015 15:18

Have you got the birth certificate of any of the children who you think are children of the couple?

Couldn't find Swan/Swan births

Hardy/ Swan births in South Shields goes from 1913 see Glitter Baby's find of a marriage in 1913 Thomas Hardy to an Edith E Swan. The births carry on past the death of Esther L Swan, one last quarter of 1922 the other first quarter of 1925. One of the daughter's is Edith.

The lady who died aged 70 looks like Esther's mother, her father was Julius.

Allison

Allison Report 20 Feb 2015 15:19

Terence

As far as I know the latest census is 1911. This is to protect the details of people who might well still be living so the 1921 census will not be released for a few years yet. One can check 192 for electoral roll records but they seem to go back just to 2002.

Good luck with your search

Allison

Allison

Allison Report 20 Feb 2015 15:27

Terence

Will get the death certificate off to you as soon as I have completed my wifely duties - cooking the dinner!

Allison

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 20 Feb 2015 15:34

Name:
Edith E Hardy

Birth Date: abt 1886

Date of Registration: Sep 1948

Age at Death:62

Registration district: Durham Central

Inferred County: Durham

Volume: 1a

Page: 236

Probate to her husband Thomas Hardy a retired grocer - address 5 George St, Sherburn County Durham. She left just over £245

Name: Edith Elizabeth Hardy

Probate Date: 1 Oct 1948

Death Date: 22 Aug 1948

Death Place: Durham, England

Registry: Durham, England

Have you got the correct female Swan????????????

Terence

Terence Report 20 Feb 2015 16:40

I think the Edith E swan,that married a Thomas Hardy in 1913,was actually from Staffordshire and Thomas doesn't appear to be from "my" Hardy's.

Again many thanks to all,Terry L.