Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Unmarried mothers home Leeds

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 9 Feb 2015 16:20

Can any tell me if 18 Clarendon Road Leeds was an unmarried mothers home in 1925 because that is the address of my ancestors mother at the time of her birth even though she was actually born in the Maternity Hospital Leeds, The other address on the birth cert states mother had lived at 10 Church Street Boston Spa, was that also some kind of a home.. Any help would be appreciated.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 9 Feb 2015 16:26

Have you tried googling?

Or contacting the Council in Leeds?

Rambling

Rambling Report 9 Feb 2015 17:09

In 1934 it was in the phone book as a "Catholic Rescue House" so I am thinking it may well have been .

Rambling

Rambling Report 9 Feb 2015 17:12

The Catholic Girls' Rescue Home, called St. Margaret's in Leeds was opened on the 7th October 1912.

Rambling

Rambling Report 9 Feb 2015 17:16

Magdalen Homes — Warwickshire-Yorkshire

"St Margaret's Home, 18 Clarendon Road, Leeds by 1912 First maternity cases; 10s. 6d."

http://www.childrenshomes.org.uk/list/MH11.shtml

John

John Report 9 Feb 2015 17:30

Thank you Rose, this answers my Question as it being a Catholic home.I wanted to know for sure before I spend £50 to find any information on my Ancestor, albeit it may just be a name in a register , I have this information on her birth cert but unable to find a birth for her Mum so wondered if there was a history about her in the archives of this St Margaret's home.I have contacted the Catholic Homes for unmarried mothers but not the Leeds Council, but as I said you have verified it was a Catholic home. Many thanks once again for your help

Rambling

Rambling Report 9 Feb 2015 17:42

Church St seems to have been mostly private homes in the 1911 census, if I have the right one, so worth looking for the surname there perhaps?

Kay????

Kay???? Report 9 Feb 2015 17:44

!0 Church St on zoopla is listed as an 3 bed end terrace ,so imagine that would have been the home address where she lived or stayed. Leeds local history centre may have electorals for that time they arent digitised so would need a personal search for the address,,,,,,,,only the head maybe listed as not many women were qualified to vote at that time.--1925.

John

John Report 9 Feb 2015 18:30

Thank you Kay, will see if I can find a name for no 10 Church Street Boston Spa