Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

surname puzzle

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

sandra

sandra Report 3 Feb 2015 11:44

Any suggestions as to why a person would have his birth registered under two different surnames but with same mother's name , other than she wasn't sure who the father was or she was pregnant when the biological father died/divorced and remarried before the child's birth?

Gee

Gee Report 3 Feb 2015 11:51

The parents could have married after the child was first registered and to take the fathers name they would have to re-register the birth

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 Feb 2015 11:56

It means that the parents weren't married but the father acknowledged paternity and his name is also on the cert .

In theory the child could be known by either surname

Whichever cert you ordered it would be the same cert you would get . There aren't two certs

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 3 Feb 2015 12:01

If the reg numbers are the same, then the index reflects all the surnames on the certificate eg
Father - John BROWN
Mother - Jane SMITH formerly GREEN

GREEN being her maiden name
The birth would be transcribed as

SMITH (child) mmn GREEN
BROWN (child) mmn GREEN

So Jane Smith nee Green was either divorced, widowed or still married to Mr Smith.
Because John Brown attended the registration and claimed paternity, his name will be on the certificate. It he hadn't attended, the assumption was that the child was fathered by Janes's husband (even if he died years ago!)

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 3 Feb 2015 12:09

The usual explanation is that a married woman had a child with another man

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 Feb 2015 12:47

Not necessarily Jacqueline .

It does mean the couple werent married but could both be single too

We have that scenario in my close family .

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 3 Feb 2015 16:34

I said usual.........not only

However, the simple explanation is that the parents were not married to each other.

The poster hasn't made clear whether either of the registration names was the mother's surname..................it does make a difference

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 4 Feb 2015 13:14

Hello Sandra and welcome to the Community boards.

(I'll let Sandra know how to find her replies) :-)