Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help !! to find a Twin

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gail

Gail Report 1 Feb 2015 10:27

Once again i am in need of Help !!!!
My mother believes that she was aTwin ,unfortunatly the twin Did Not survive
But cannot remember if the Twin died before or after being born ,but is convinced the Twin was a girl .
My mother d o b is 27 /11 /1937 , in Birmingham registered in the 4th Quarter. Her father was Albert Edward Cleaver and her mother Gladys E Cleaver nee Stanley .
That much i know for definate ;(
However While searching for the twin ,
i have come against a Puzzle ,i have found a Boy ,Joseph F Cleaver ,Born the 27/11/1937 ,Mother down as ,Stanley.
But he was registered in the 3rd Quarter. :-S :-S
I cannot find another girl born on that day ,
any suggestions please

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 1 Feb 2015 10:34

If she had been a twin, the time of birth should be on your mother's birth cert

Even if the twin was stillborn, I think that would apply

A birth registered in the 3rd qtr took place no later than the end of September. It isn't possible to register a birth 'in advance'

How did you find out the actual DOB of the boy?

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 1 Feb 2015 10:36

In view of the name, could these be the boy's parents

Marriages Jun 1936 (>99%)

CLEAVER Joseph Stanley Birmingham 6d 1147
Stanley Ivy E Cleaver Birmingham 6d 1147

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 1 Feb 2015 11:25

have you asked before about this?

malyon

malyon Report 1 Feb 2015 11:31

hi
UK answer.
Here in the UK the stillborn register is not available to the public on any web site. This is information that only the parents or the stillborn child's siblings after the death of both parents, are privy to. In the event of the death of both parents then death certificates must be shown for both parents as proof of right to view. You should find the information on
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/stillb...

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 1 Feb 2015 12:03

Unfortunately that link only takes you to the main GRO page.

If a baby had a still-born twin, would there be any notation on their BC? After all, if an infant had not taken a breath, it was deemed not to have existed.

I seem to recall that a request (with appropriate documentation) needs to be sent to the local register office. Wasn't it also a voluntary registration, certainly in the early days?

We've heard on here tales where the home confinement midwife gave the still born to the father with the instructions to dispose of the remains. Agreed - there must be some form of documentation if the body was taken to an undertakers to rule out infantcide.

Gail

Gail Report 1 Feb 2015 12:14

Hello Jacqueline
Thank you for your contact ,re :Cleaver Twins ,
I have checked my mothers Birth certificate and there is no time of birth entered .my mother is adamant she was a twin,Unfortunatly i have no one else to ask .
I think i must have got so tired and confused looking last night ,i looked at nearly every site i could access for a child born the same day ,cant remember which site i found it on ,Or if i found it at all now ,i was so boggle eyed searching ,
My grandmother did have a sister Ivy ,so obvious to me in the light of a fresh day that the boy i found may be a cousin to my mother although little is discussed about that side ,
:-S will have to try and get my mother to think a litte more .
Many thanks again ,sorry if i wasted your time
regards

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 1 Feb 2015 12:25

Jacqueline & Yvonne would be the first to agree that you haven't wasted anyone's time.

By opening up the discussion to include Still Birth registers, it has given other people the opportunity to question and learn something new.

Unless you can find a death for Joseph F Cleaver, to protect the privacy of someone who may be living, please edit your opening post to remove his DAY of birth

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 1 Feb 2015 12:26

There were 11 Cleaver births with mother's maiden name Stanley in Birmingham between 1930-1950 so there must have been more couples with that name combination.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 2 Feb 2015 08:55

The date given cannot possibly be the birth of Joseph. There is no birth for anyone of that name after the SEPT qtr of 1937

The only possibility of 27/11/1937 being linked with his name would be if he had been baptized on that date.

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 6 Feb 2015 14:12

not all twin stillbirths were registered,my twin stillborn
has nothing to say he was ever born,
i had a search done by the GRO they were ever so
good about it and very unhappy they could find nothing about him

i was delivered by a midwife only ,i was born first after my mother had spent two days in labour my twin never made it,the midwife took him
away and never told anyone,this was in 1949,

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 6 Feb 2015 20:53

since this was 1937, that is certainly a possibility, what DIZZI has described

Gail does your mother's birth cert show where she was born?
(in hospital or at home for example)

I have seen two different links for the stillbirths register at the GRO in discussions on line but neither of them functions now

and I can't find anything on the GRO site

so you would have to contact the GRO to ask them about this I think

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/contact_us.asp