Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

McKennas Ireland

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

KevinL

KevinL Report 1 Feb 2015 05:52

I have been researching our McKenna family, they originate from Ireland but I have had difficulty finding details.
My Great Grandparents were William McKenna and Ellen Duffy.
William was born approx. 1835 near Ballybay Ireland.
Ellen Duffy was Born approx. 1837
William married Ellen Duffy in 1862 (Tullycorbet)
Then went to Edinburgh (Scotland) and
emigrated to South Australia in 1865 with daughters Catherine and Mary
Any help on William and Ellen would be appreciated.
I have discovered a cousin in Adelaide who has parts of the family tree in Ancestry.
Some of the family may (brother Bernard) appears to have emigrated to the US.

I have also searched the GR trees, awaiting any matches.
Kevin

Gee

Gee Report 1 Feb 2015 08:21

Hi Kevin

Can you be more specific about what you would like to find in respect of Ellen and William please?

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 1 Feb 2015 09:03

Mary was born in Edinburgh

Name: Mary Mc Kenna
Birth Date: 08 May 1865
Birthplace: EDINBURGH PARISH,EDINBURGH,MIDLOTHIAN,SCOTLAND
Father's Name: William Mc Kenna
Mother's Name: Helen Duffy

but I can't see Catherine's birth.

Gee

Gee Report 1 Feb 2015 09:42

Name:Catherine Theresa Mckenna

Father's name:William Mckenna

Spouse Name:Andrew Peterson

Spouse's Father's Name:Peter Peterson

Marriage Date:01 Sep 1887

Marriage Place:Port Adelaide

Registration Place:Port Adelaide, South Australia

Page Number:767

Volume Number:152

-----------------------------------------------

Name:Catherine Theresa Petersen

Death Date:01 Sep 1940

Death Place:South Australia

Registration Year:1936-1940

Registration Place:South Australia

Page Number:3968

Volume Number:627

Gee

Gee Report 1 Feb 2015 09:44

Name:Catherine M'Kenna

Date of Registration:1864

Registration district:Monaghan

Volume:18

Page:276

FHL Film Number:101041

KevinL

KevinL Report 1 Feb 2015 09:44

Sorry
We have details of the family since they left Ireland but there is little or no details of their family in Ireland. I was just hoping to find some details of his parents and Willim/Ellen

William McKenna:
Born approx. 1935 BallyBay (possibly Drumgore, Co. Monaghan, Ireland)

Ellen Duffy:
Born Approx. 1840 Co. Fermanagh, Ireland

Married:
27 May 1862 at Ballybay, Tullycorbet, Co. Monaghan, Ireland
witnesses: Thomas Smith and Catherine McArdle

On an Ancestry , there is a tree with William McKenna (1805-1870) and Mary McKenna (1806-1875) as parents of William McKenna (+ Bernard and Thomas), but it is incomplete and had no responses.
I was just looking for some detail on earlier generation of William and Mary and actual details for William and Ellen McKenna.

Ellen's name seems so be listed as Helen on some documents, probably the cursive writing. I could decipher it on Mary's birth certificate.
Any additional details would be good, or where to research it further myself.
Kevin

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 1 Feb 2015 10:11

Are you sure that Ellen was born in Fermanagh?
I can't see any baptism records for a birth between 1836-1840 for her, though there are two in Monaghan (1838, possibly both the same person - a twin).
Sorry I don't have credits/sub for rootsireland.ie to look further.

Gee

Gee Report 1 Feb 2015 10:18

Does it not give his father's name on his marriage?

KevinL

KevinL Report 1 Feb 2015 11:03

Some of the details are from a Research group in Ireland and their search was not conclusive.
I don't have the marriage certificate, but am requesting details from my family contact.
I am not sure as to where Ellen was from.
Kevin

Gee

Gee Report 1 Feb 2015 11:52

Name:William Mckenna

Birth Year:abt 1836

Death Date:23 Apr 1911

Death Place:Rosewater

Residence Place:Rosewater

Page Number:271

Volume Number:356

----------------------------------

Name:Ellen Mckenna

Birth Year:abt 1840

Death Date:03 Oct 1914

Death Place:Rosewater

Residence Place:Rosewater

Father's name:William Mckenna

Page Number:360

Volume Number:387

Not totally sure what is on the Oz death certificates but I 'think' it lists parents names?

I'm sure someone on here can confirm what details should be shown

Gee

Gee Report 1 Feb 2015 11:54

No idea if this is 'ellen'

Name:Ellen Duffy

Parish:Lobinstown

Diocese:Meath

County:Meath

Baptism Date:10 Apr 1844

Father's name:William Duffy <<<<<<<<<<<<as on her death reg

Mother's name:Eliza Prendergast

Sponsor Witness 1:
Hugh Cooney

Sponsor Witness 2:
Judith Carry

Added: There are a few siblings for this Ellen, if you are interested just shout

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 1 Feb 2015 12:16

From Trove (Adelaide chronicle, 17th October 1914)

McKENNA On the 3rd of October at Junction Road, Rosewater, Ellen, widow of William McKenna, in her 74th year. Sincerely mourned.

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 1 Feb 2015 12:19

Adelaide Advertiser, 29th April 1911

McKENNA.-On the. 23rd April, at his residence, Grand Junctión-road, Rosewater, William, beloved husband of Ellen McKenna, aged 75 years.

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 1 Feb 2015 12:21

You probably know about more children in S.A.?

Marriages, Adelaide Advertiser, 1 July 1911

McCANN-McKENNA.-On the 7th December, 1910, by the Rev. Father Brady, at St. Joseph's Church, Albany. John McCann, to H. V. (Nellie), youngest daughter of the late William McKenna,

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 1 Feb 2015 12:42

Presumably the date and place of William and Ellen's marriage came from Mary's birth registration. There was no requirement, as far as I am aware, to produce evidence of the marriage. The other thing to remember is that there was no statutory requirement to register Catholic marriages in Ireland until 1865.

EDIT

Sorry that should be 1864.

Registration of non-Roman Catholic marriages began in Ireland in 1845, but the full registration system only came into operation in 1864, when all births, marriages and deaths began to be registered.

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 2 Feb 2015 16:48

Kevin...You can get further details of this from www. findagrave.com.

Birth: 1830
County Monaghan, Ireland
Death: 1891
Pawtucket
Providence County
Rhode Island, USA

Son of William McKenna and Mary McKenna
Husband of Mary Duffy McKenna
Father of Ellen (Nell) McKenna Martin, Mary Ann (Mamie) McKenna Lennon, Catherine T McKenna Gately, Hugh F (Huey) McKenna, Patrick McKenna, and Bernard McKenna
Emigrated from Ballybay, County Monahan, Ireland to Pawtucket, RI
Employee of the Dunnell Print Works, Pawtucket, RI

Family links:
Spouse:
Mary Duffy McKenna (1837 - 1897)*

Children:
Mary Ann McKenna Lennon (1863 - 1950)*
Catherine T McKenna Gately (1866 - 1934)*
Hugh F McKenna (1868 - 1958)*
The above burials are in Mount Saint Mary's Cemetery.

It looks as if they could be the Bernard McKenna's family who was probably brother to "your" William

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 2 Feb 2015 16:52

Kevin.
.I have no idea why my post 2/02/ @1648 has been listed above yours date 02/02/ 21.05...I wonder if the GR date and time clock has developed a problem ..again...!!

KevinL

KevinL Report 2 Feb 2015 21:05

I just received a marriage certificate from a cousin.
It does not provide parents names, just 2 witnesses.

Notes from Heather
As you can see from the marriage record, neither sets of parents’ names were given. It was lucky that they were the 1st marriage in the Catholic register. They were married on May 27, 1862 in Ballybay, Co. Monaghan. On William’s death certificate, his place of birth is given as Co. Monaghan, townland not known. Who gave that information, I don’t know. His wife was still alive at the time. Whether she was overcome with grief, couldn’t remember or simply didn’t know, who knows. When Ellen died, her place of birth was given as Co. Fermanagh. Both Kate and Mary were alive and at least one of them must have given that information. To make things more complicated, when I first began this research, Uncle Ivor told me they came from Co. Armagh!

Andy, who may be our cousin in the US, thinks Bernard was possibly born in Drumgore, Co. Monaghan. There’s also a Dromore in Monaghan. The Bernard McKenna who married Mary Duffy as discussed in the Ulster Foundation’s research, is Andy’s ancestor. They emigrated to the US. According to Ulster, Bernard may have been a brother of Wm’s or at least a cousin.

I contacted the parish priest in Ballybay some years ago and he put me onto a local historian. He said there were no other records. It looks like Wm McK probably was an agricultural labourer for Wm Rutherford and maybe Ellen worked as a servant there too. Both were residents of Caddah at the time of their marriage. McKenna is a common name in Co. Monaghan apparently and Duffy is even more common. There was a Hugh McKenna around at the same time who the historian thought might have been another brother, but I haven’t found what happened to him. Whether our Wm was born in another part of the county and moved to Caddah near Ballybay or whether he was a local, I don’t know. Many Irish were tenant farmers and when the father died, either the land passed to the eldest son or was split among the sons. Each piece of land could be quite small and maybe that’s the reason Wm and Bernard decided to emigrate.

Even if I don't find anymore information, thank everybody for the assistance.
It all helps
Kevin