Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Death of Chinese wife of British Mariner

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Diane

Diane Report 14 Jan 2015 06:39

George Bond Corner (Mariner) married Ah Chuen (or Chune) in Shanghai in 1892. When he married again in 1907 in England he is shown as a "widower"

He was awarded his Master Mariners Certificate in Hong Kong in 1894 so he must have been still shipping in the East Asia area.

Any suggestions>? have tried deaths at sea. Any guidance on findling deaths in Shanghai and Hong assuming his wife was considered British by marriage.

John & Di

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 14 Jan 2015 07:30

He could have left his wife behind and on return to this country claimed he was a widower.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 Jan 2015 09:11

Unless he registered her death at the British embassy then it won't show

Or she did die and maybe her family buried her according to the chinese way

As Rose said he may just have purported to be a widower when he remarried as there were folk who did know he was previously married

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 14 Jan 2015 18:55

I have a great uncle that had a Japanese wife that he married in India. On one return trip to Bengal (he was chief of police) she died. I have never found a death......

Jude

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 15 Jan 2015 16:55

Hello John and Di and welcome to the Community boards.

It may be worth googling for where records are held........this may be helpful

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/history/customs/ancestors/shanghai.html

(I'll let John and Di know how to find their replies) :-)

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 15 Jan 2015 22:12

Maybe helpful??

https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Shanghai_Library