Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for a Good Samaritan in Hackney.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joseph

Joseph Report 4 Jan 2015 16:33

Make your self comfy and I'll explain. I have traced the maternal side of my family back to the 1600's, visiting Ireland, India and America where some relatives currently live. I would be delighted to share all the information with my present day cousins if only I could locate them.

Robert Owen b1895 in Bethnal Green London. The family moved to Hackney and it was there that I met Robert - for the first and only time - at his parents home, following the sudden passing of both of his parents in 1941- my Grand Parents. I'm positive he was accompanied by a young lad.

Robert served in WW1, his Attestation and Discharge documents record him as being single. He continued to live with his parents until 1932 being the the last
electoral roll recording of his address I've been able to find. I believe Robert did reside in the Hoxton area.

I found a record of death for a Robert Owen who passed away on the 5th December 1966 aged 71 years, this ties in with my Roberts date of birth.
He died in St Thomas Hospital Shoreditch. The death certificate records his residence as Council Dwellings 14, Nile St, N1, occupation, Postman retired.
The Informant - R Owen widow of deceased, same address. The initial letter R is this the christian name of the lady, or Roberts initial as in Mrs R Owen ?

This is where I need a GOOD SAMARITAN. The Electoral Rolls are only available online up to 1965, but they can be viewed by a Personal Visit at the Hackney Archives . Should you be prepared to check who was recorded on the 1966 Electoral Roll, please Google Hackney Archives for revised times of opening etc;
Clarifying his wife's christian name could provide the link to their marriage also their children - my cousins.

One day my computer will be switched off for the last time, it would be sad that so much interesting information will be lost.

Joseph

Joseph Report 4 Jan 2015 16:37

My apologies I omitted - Thank You.

Joe.

Gee

Gee Report 4 Jan 2015 17:16

Hi

This lady is with a Robert Owen

Name:Rosine Owen

Year:1961 ER

County or Borough:Hackney

Ward or Division/Constituency:
Hackney Central

Street address:27 Forest Road

--------------------------------------------------------------

Marriages Sep 1941

Claridge Rosina Owen Hackney 1b 809
Owen Robert D Claridge Hackney 1b 809

Gee

Gee Report 4 Jan 2015 17:27

And this death for his possible wife

Name:Rosina Owen

Birth Date:7 Nov 1909

Date of Registration:Dec 1979

Age at Death:70

Registration district:Hackney

Inferred County:London

Volume:12

Page:1442

Gritty

Gritty Report 4 Jan 2015 17:35

1957- 1963: Only person listed at address

14 Council Dwellings, Hoxton, Shoreditch
Robert Owen

I don't see 1965 but I think that's down to Ancestry transcription.

Joseph

Joseph Report 4 Jan 2015 18:09

Thank you for your replies. I could be wrong but, the Robert Rosine married was born in 1914, also my Robert does not have a middle christian name.

Thanks again for you interest.

Joe..

Joseph

Joseph Report 4 Jan 2015 18:37

It's possible I'm unable to see the wood for the trees.

Would you please clarify, in this instance, the words following my name :
Report, Edit, Mark this as answered.

Thanks,
Joe.

greyghost

greyghost Report 4 Jan 2015 18:49

Report means that someone can report to Genes Reunited if they don't like what has been said in a post i.e. abuse, giving away details of a living person etc. The post in question would then be removed by Genes staff and a comment will appear instead i.e. This post has been reported

If you click on edit in your own post then it re-opens that post for you to make changes within it and then you submit again (good idea to say you have edited by what you have changed/added/deleted) This is also a good way of changing your heading if ef you suddenly need info from Australia and it would bring the thread to the attention of members with better access to Oz records.

Mark as Answered your thread will show on the boards as answered and people won't bother looking at it thinking you need no further help. Some people click by mistake if they just mean they have answered a post within the thread. Last time of asking there was no way unfortunately that you could untick if you had made a mistake.

Hope that helps

Gritty

Gritty Report 4 Jan 2015 18:50

'Mark as answered' is only for when your query has been answered fully. For example- if someone went to the Hackney Archives and found the information you wanted, you could then mark it as answered. However, it is often easier NOT to mark any threads as 'answered'- as this allows others members to continue to offer further help.

ChristinaS

ChristinaS Report 4 Jan 2015 19:07

Am I following the wrong Robert? I've found a Robert Owen born 1895 Bethnal Green with parents Robert and Alice (who both died in 1941) but I can't see your Robert living with them on the electoral rolls!

I see them living at 162 Well Street, Hackney. Edmund is with them in 1930. Mary May is with them in 1932 and 1935. But I can't see their son, Robert.

I'll keep looking.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 4 Jan 2015 19:08

Failing all else, you could ask Hackney archives for a look-up. They will make a charge
http://www.hackney.gov.uk/ca-archives.htm#.VKmN3cmLWk8

As Mrs isn't in front of the widow's name, I'd assume R was her own initial

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 4 Jan 2015 19:34

1901 (Find My Past)
Robert Owen Head Married Male 33 1868 Upholsterer Cirencester, Gloucestershire, England
Alice Owen Wife Married Female 30 1871 - Edmonton, Middlesex, England
Maud Alice Owen Daughter Single Female 10 1891 - -
Ada A Owen Daughter - Female 7 1894 - Hoxton, Middlesex, England
Robert Owen Son - Male 6 1895 - Bethnal Green, Middlesex, England
Edmond Owen Son - Male 1 1900 - Croydon, Surrey, England
Street Churchill Road
Parish Croydon
County Surrey
Municipal ward South
Registration district Croydon
Archive reference RG13
Piece number 637
Folio 175
Page 8

(as above, from below)

http://www.family-tree.co.uk/Family-Tree-Magazine-Forum//viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6618&p=20596

Chris :)

(below, possibly couple mentioned on above)

1965 Electoral has a Daisy F and Robert Owen, Brodia Road. 10 Edward Friend House.
County or Borough: Hackney
Ward or Division/Constituency: Stoke Newington and Hackney North

Joseph

Joseph Report 4 Jan 2015 20:02

You just can't imagine how overwhelmed I am with all of your replies.
Correcting myself it is Rosina not Rosine.
Christina, a name that is relevant within my family from my Great Grand mother to my living cousin. I'm sure I noted an entry following your last date, but as always happens I failed to Bookmark it. Chris Ho you're spot on with that information.

Thank you Gins, Gritty, Greyghost, Christina, Detective,and Chris for all your interest.

Joe.

Joseph

Joseph Report 5 Jan 2015 18:17

Lateral thinking today. I can recall members of the family executing a sharp intake of breath when Roberts name was mentioned - almost a whistle as the air disappeared between their teeth, some frantically holding onto their false ones. This could imply he was a bit of a rascal !

I located a Robert D Owen b 1925 in Hackney, mothers name Neale. I searched for an Owen and Neale marriage no go, has the Rascal struck again ? A search for a record of death was fruitless - delighted for him, I hope he reads this thread.

Joe.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Jan 2015 18:26

On the off chance, have you checked the CWGC for military or civilian WW2 deaths?

Even if Robert D Owen 1925 was too young to be conscripted, he would have been expected to undertake National Service. Don't forget to check the British Nationals Armed Forces Deaths 1796-2005

How about the £10 pom scheme?
http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/search/index.aspx
After clicking Record Search from the above link, select Name search along the green bar, then Immigration and Naturalisation from the drop down box.

Joseph

Joseph Report 6 Jan 2015 14:39

Thank you for your suggestions, it would never have crossed my mind to search on those sites. Unfortunately I drew a blank in both instances.
I'm trying another line of enquiry, will keep you posted.

Joe.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 7 Jan 2015 15:04

The 'new' line

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1348293

patchem

patchem Report 8 Jan 2015 22:50

You have put:

'I located a Robert D Owen b 1925 in Hackney, mothers name Neale. I searched for an Owen and Neale marriage no go, has the Rascal struck again ? '

If the mother has been married previously, the marriage showing would be in her married name to Mr Owen, not necessarily also recorded in her maiden name.