Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

William Higgins Marriage?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tawny

Tawny Report 2 Jan 2015 00:33

I was wondering if anyone could find the second marriage of my 4x great grandfather William Higgins?

Williams first wife Harriet Maisey died in 1857 in Berkshire most likely in Marcham as that is where William and all of his children were born.

On the 1861 census William is living with his second wife Eliza Higgins (Beesley) and two children William Beesley (1852) aged 8 is given as wife's son and a Sarah Elizabeth Beesley (1859) aged 2 is given as daughter.

Sarah Elizabeth was registered as Higgins on the birth records so I wonder If a William and Eliza were not married till after Sarah's birth. Their second child Ellen was born in 1861 and registered as Higgins on birth and all census records.

Can anyone find Williams second marriage?

Tawny

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 2 Jan 2015 01:09

Marriages Jun 1858 (>99%)
Beesley Eliza Abingdon 2c 483
Higgins William Abingdon 2c 483

From http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl selecting Berkshire and year range 1857-1870 (just in case!)

The MC will tell you if Beesley was her maiden name, or if she was a widow when she married.
As Harriet's Death is recorded in the Abingdon district, it does tie in together

Deaths Mar 1857 (>99%)
Higgins Harriet Abingdon 2c 182

The areas covered by Abingdon can be found here
http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/abingdon.html
It does cover Marcham.

As the entry doesn't record the age at death, a copy of the DC should confirm if it is the correct record

Tawny

Tawny Report 2 Jan 2015 01:31

Thank you for finding Williams second marriage. I will order the certificates.

Tawny