Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Arthur Britten

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tawny

Tawny Report 20 Dec 2014 23:50

I am wondering if anyone could help me find a possible marriage for Arthur Britten?

I don't know if Arthur married but would like to find out.

Arthur N. Britten was born in 1924 in Mountain Ash, Glamorganshire and was the son
of Henry and Miriam Britten.

I don't know what Arthur's middle name is but his mothers maiden name was Nicholas so could potentially be that.

Every time I try looking for a marriage it keeps saying here are the deaths for that period.

Can anyone find Arthur?

Tawny

Rambling

Rambling Report 21 Dec 2014 00:06

NAME: Arthur Nicholas Britten
BIRTH DATE: 6 Sep 1924
DATE OF REGISTRATION: Jul 1996
AGE AT DEATH: 71
REGISTRATION DISTRICT: Macclesfield
INFERRED COUNTY: Cheshire
REGISTER NUMBER: K17C
DISTRICT AND SUBDISTRICT: 3441
ENTRY NUMBER: 286

Can't see a marriage which has a middle initial, but there are a couple of marriages for Arthur brittens in the 40s, the death cert may help if the informant is a relative.

Tawny

Tawny Report 21 Dec 2014 00:07

Thank you for finding Arthur's death.

Tawny

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 21 Dec 2014 00:12

If you wanted to, you could order a copy of his Will

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/
Use the advance search to get

BRITTEN ARTHUR NICHOLAS
Date of probate 07 November 1996
Probate number 9651916332
Date of Death 17 July 1996
Document type Grant and will
Registry Manchester

Tawny

Tawny Report 21 Dec 2014 00:17

Thank you for the info

Tawny

Mistycat

Mistycat Report 21 Dec 2014 02:28

How about this one....

First name(s) ARTHUR N
Last name BRITTEN
Marriage quarter 4
Marriage year 1944
ARTHUR N BRITTEN married
MENNA DAVIES
District SWANSEA
District number -
County Glamorganshire
Country Wales
Volume 11A
Page 1883

Cannot pin point a birth for Menna, there are a number that would fit...

Marriage cert should give you details of fathers for both Arthur and Menna...

Misty x

Edit.....two possible children, details sent to Tawny by pm....there are three other Britten/Davis births in different areas...

Cannot see a death for Menna, have sent Tawny a possible electoral register entry for her...

Tawny

Tawny Report 21 Dec 2014 10:35

Thank you for the info you sent. I will order the cert as that marriage looks very possible for Arthur.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 21 Dec 2014 11:02

The death cert would be a better bet

Gritty

Gritty Report 21 Dec 2014 11:08

Menna is on Electoral register to 2013- possible death for Menna

BRITTEN MENNA 25 April 2013 4052507 18 January 2013 Grant and will Manchester

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Wills?Surname=britten&SurnameGrants=britten&YearOfDeath=2013&YearOfDeathGrants=2013&IsGrantSearch=True&IsCalendarSearch=False#wills

Connected:
http://www.knutsfordguardian.co.uk/archive/2013/02/13/10223348.Menna_Britten/?ref=arc

Gritty

Gritty Report 21 Dec 2014 11:12

http://www.dodgsonfunerals.com/viewreport.php?recid=2783&t=1&filter=B&criteria=&status=0

Britten, Menna

The funeral was held recently for the late Menna Britten of Mobberley, who died on 18th January 2013, aged 87 years. Menna was born in Abercynon, Mid Glamorgan, Wales on 30th November 1925, to David Daniel and Elizabeth Davies. She was the oldest of a family of five, having two brothers and two sisters. She grew up in Glamorganshire where she attended Mountain Ash Grammar School. In 1944, she married Arthur Nicholas Britten at Swansea, they settled in Abercynon and moved to Knutsford in 1945; sadly she was widowed in 1996. Menna was a Teacher for most of the 1950?s at Knutsford Secondary Modern School. She liked music and gardening and was a member of the Golf Club. She is survived by her daughter Susan, sons Robin, Neil & Ian, nine grandchildren, ten great grandchildren, brother Iwan and sister Nan. The service at Toft Parish Church, followed by interment in the Churchyard, was conducted by Revd Nigel Atkinson. Family flowers were received and donations for R.N.L.I. and the Circulation Foundation. Arrangements by Dodgson?s Funeral Service, Knutsford.
Britten Menna

Gritty

Gritty Report 21 Dec 2014 11:21

ROYAL NAVAL VOLUNTEER RESERVE TEMPORARY MIDSHIPMEN :

Arthur Nicholas Britten (proby) 18th September 1944

http://www.mocavo.co.uk/The-Navy-List-Containing-List-of-Ships-Establishments-and-Officers-of-the-Fleet-April-1945-Volume-2/553008/670

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 21 Dec 2014 11:21

Good find Gritty. :-D

Tawny

Tawny Report 21 Dec 2014 11:24

Thank you for the info