Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Reused graves?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date
Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 2 Nov 2014 23:52

Hello all, I am being rather dim here. I found 3x gt.grandpa's burial, what on earth does 'reused graves' mean?

Thanks

Sue

Name: James Withall
Record Type: Burial
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1796
Death Date: abt 1869
Burial Date: 22 Feb 1869
Burial Place: Norwood Cemetery, Norwood Road, Lambeth, England
Parish or Poor Law Union: Norwood Cemetery, Norwood Road, Lambeth
Borough: Lambeth
Register Type: Bishop's Transcript
Comments: Reused graves at Norwood; see the database description for a link for more information.

Andrew

Andrew Report 3 Nov 2014 00:06

This seems to give more info

http://portal.lambeth.gov.uk/cemetery/default.aspx

Andy

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 3 Nov 2014 00:20

Thanks for the link Andy, I'll have to search the info they hold or contact them directly.

Sue

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Nov 2014 05:28

it seems that modern re-use of graves has recently become elgal .............. but I think it also went on long ago

It depends on who owned the grave, and for how long, and whether there is any room for more coffins in there ............. eg, a grave may be for 4 people, but only 2 have been buried in it, and there has been no further use of many years.

The question I would be asking about your relative's grave would be .............. is his body still in there, and when was the grave re-used :-)

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 3 Nov 2014 08:53

I think Sylvia is right. Even for old graves I think the "Terms and Conditions " would be laid out in the Title Deeds given to the owner at the time of the lair purchase.

I am not absolutely certain but I think at one time lair owners paid the council an annual subscription for the upkeep of the grave. Not sure when this was abolished but I'm sure I have seen receipts for this dated in the 1940s

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 3 Nov 2014 11:58

Thanks for replies. I had it in my brain that he was buried in a reused grave not that his grave had been reused *confused*.

What you have said makes more sense. I have family in recent double burial plots which they bought for 50 years and there is an annual charge too. What happens after the 50 year lease is up I don't want to think about :-(