Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Thomas BAKER b: about 1877

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sherry

Sherry Report 5 Oct 2014 17:04

Looking for any information on Thomas Baker...he may have been a deserter from Second Boer War so Thomas Baker could well be an alias. Married Hilda Flack in 1939 in Islington (they had a child together in 1920) and was shown as a widower on marriage cert. Also profession of Ships Painter and ex Army. Fathers name on Marriage Cert is Cornelius Baker (deceased) Licenced Victualler. Have previously tried to obtain birth cert using the info I have but to no avail.

Assuming Hilda was being honest she was shown to be a widow on her next marriage cert in 1947, so that would put Thomas' death somewhere between 1939 and 1947...I guess there is a big chance he died during WWII.

Any help or information much appreciated as we have hit a dead end with Mr Baker.

Thank you

Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

Gee

Gee Report 5 Oct 2014 17:39

Hi Sherry

What age does he give on the marriage certificate please?

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 5 Oct 2014 17:47

Have you got the child's birth cert? It would be just a bit closer to the 1911 census which we can search, maybe using the address and whatever occupation he gives. (Were there 2 children, I can see another Holborn birth 1921).
Jan

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 5 Oct 2014 17:53

Is this her marriage? If so, wondered about the death below, in view of location

EDIT oops, sorry, that Thomas died after she married, if it's her!!

Marriages Sep 1947 (>99%)
Baker Hilda E Clement Essex S.W. 5a 774
Clement Sidney W L Baker Essex S.W. 5a 774

Name: Thomas Baker
Birth Date: abt 1874
Date of Registration: Dec 1948
Age at Death: 74
Registration district: essex South Western
Inferred County: Essex
Volume: 5a
Page: 264

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 5 Oct 2014 19:20

Event Type: Marriage Registration
Registration Quarter: Oct-Nov-Dec
Registration Year: 1939
Registration District: Islington
County: London
Event Place: Islington, London, England
Spouse Name (available after 1911): Flack
Volume: 1B
Page: 819
Line Number: 84

Thomas Baker probably married one of the following people
Name: Hilda E Flack

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 5 Oct 2014 20:56

The Second Boer war was 1899-1902 so presuming Thomas was 20ish surely he was too old to be in 2nd World War?

Sherry

Sherry Report 5 Oct 2014 22:06

Wow, so many willing helpers...I've had a similar post on another ancestry website for months and it's not even been viewed, so thank you for your replies. This is the information I have about Thomas Baker:

I have very little information, only what is on the marriage certificate between he and my great grandmother and also on my Nan's birth certificate.

Date of Marriage: 22nd December 1939 in Islington
Condition: Widower
Rank or Profession: Ship's Painter
Residence at time of Marriage: 3 Goodwin Street
Fathers Name: Cornelius Baker (deceased)
Rank or Profession of Father: Licensed Victualler

This marriage was between Thomas Baker & Hilda E Flack (42 yrs old, father Septimus Flack)

On the birth Certificate of Rose Elizabeth Baker, born 1920, Thomas Baker lists his occupation as Ship's Painter and what could possibly be 'Ex Army' and was living at 11 Risinghill Street on 15th April 1920

Gins: He was age 62 on the marriage cert.

brummiejan: That is indeed Hilda's second marriage...I have seen that Thomas Baker record too and I do keep coming back to it!! Also, my Nan was an only child but told my Aunt that she was a twin and the other baby died at birth...she had no siblings that we are aware of but I too found a record for Doris?!

AnnCardiff: Yes that is her, thank you.

Margee: When I say 'died during WWII' I meant as a civilian since he was in his sixties...sorry I should have made myself clearer.

Would Thomas have needed to provide proof of identity when they married or even when their child (Rose E) was born???

Thank you all again in advance for your help. :)

:-) :-)

Sherry

Sherry Report 5 Oct 2014 22:09

Marked this post as 'answered' by accident...can you tell I'm new here?? :-S

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 Oct 2014 22:13

Hi Sherry

you did not have to provide any proof of identity, or of status (ie, single, widowed or divorced), at least up into the 1960s ........... I don't know what the situation is for more recent marriages.

I was married in the late 1960s, and showed no proof, not even a birth certificate, to the vicar .................. who was not my vicar, so he didn't know me at all.

Same thing applies to registering a birth ............ if the father is not married to the mother, he has to attend the registrar with her, but doesn't have to show proof of identity.

Sherry

Sherry Report 5 Oct 2014 22:17

SylviaInCanada: Thank you for your prompt reply and thank you for clarifying that for me. :-)

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 5 Oct 2014 22:58

Wonder where this little chap's parents are?

Name: Thomas Lindsell
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1848
Relationship to Head: Head
Spouse: Emily Lindsell
Where born: Linton, Cambridgeshire, England
Civil Parish: St Pancras
County/Island: London
Street address: 21 Medburn Street
Marital Status: Married
Education:

Employment status:

View image
Registration district: Pancras
Sub-registration district: Somers Town
ED, institution, or vessel: 16a
Neighbors: View others on page
Piece: 204
Folio: 22
Page Number: 40
Household Members:
Name Age
Thomas Lindsell 33
Emily Lindsell 35
Butren Warner 29
Thomas Baker 5, Nephew, b. Chelmsford, Essex

Sherry

Sherry Report 5 Oct 2014 23:11

Rootgatherer: That is really interesting thank you...I'll have a look at the Lindsells. :)

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 5 Oct 2014 23:13

I also keep coming back to this man

Name: Cornelius Baker
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1833
Relationship to Head: Head
Spouse: Jane Baker
Where born: Lambeth, Surrey, England
Civil Parish: Lambeth
County/Island: London
Street address: 58 Lingham St
Marital Status: Married
Education:

Employment status:

View image
Registration district: Lambeth
Sub-registration district: Kennington Second
ED, institution, or vessel: 16
Neighbors: View others on page
Piece: 609
Folio: 79
Page Number: 17
Household Members:
Name Age
Cornelius Baker 48
Jane Baker 38
Cornelius Baker 2
William Joyce 12
Florence Joyce 10
Ellen Standwell 7
Darkey Baker

Sherry

Sherry Report 5 Oct 2014 23:28

Yes I've been back and forth with this record too, everything fits bar the name Thomas...although Cornelius Jr was born in 1879.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 5 Oct 2014 23:36

I think Cornelius Jnr. Is Cornelius William Baker.

Jane had been married previously to William Standwell (father of Ellen). Prior to that, I think she had been married to a Mr. Joyce. Her maiden surname was Hart.

Sherry

Sherry Report 6 Oct 2014 00:10

I wonder if the Butren Warner in the Thomas Lindsell record is little Thomas Baker's father? Is he the brother of Emily? Can't seem to find a marriage record for Thomas & Emily. I'm probably getting completely waylaid...

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 6 Oct 2014 09:16

I couldn't find a marriage for them either. They were also together in 1871.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 6 Oct 2014 09:36

I could be wrong but I think Butren is actually Reuben Warner.

Name: Reuben Warner
Spouse: Mary Edwards
Record Type: Marriage
Event Date: 11 Nov 1880
Parish: St Pancras Old St Pancras
Borough: Camden
Spouse Father: William Edwards
Register Type: Parish Register

So I wonder if he is the husband of Emily's sister? No matter, his wife's name isn't Baker so I don't think he is necessarily a blood relative of Thomas.

Sherry

Sherry Report 6 Oct 2014 16:17

Hmmm beginning to think Mr Tom Baker didn't 'want' to be found...if he didn't need to prove his identity he could have given any name/occupation/etc on wedding/birth registrations. We have also speculated that he may well have been the illegitimate child of a Cornelius Baker??!

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 6 Oct 2014 17:07

Yes, I was thinking that too. Or even an illegitimate child of a Cornelius but Baker being his mother's surname. So maybe we are looking for a Cornelius AnySurname who was a Victualler. Well if we are still around to see it, perhaps the 1921 census will reveal more!

I would also suspect that Thomas was married to someone else who didn't die until the 1930s and then he was free to remarry.