Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

William Cartwright and Valentina Rosa de Cruz

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date
Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

Karen

Karen Report 3 Oct 2014 17:03

I'm struggling to find out further information on these two folks.

Think they may have been born 1790 ish. No clue where though.

What I know is:-

William was an Ensign 9th Royal Veterans Battalion Edinburgh Castle 1808
Had twins, William and Isabella baptised 1808 St Mary's Edinburgh

Any info appreciated, birth, marriage, death etc.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 3 Oct 2014 17:13

found this - maybe you posted it?

My 4x Great Grandfather was William Cartwright (twin brother of Isabella), who was born and baptised in Edinburgh in 1808. On his baptism register it states that he is the son of 'Mr Cartwright, an Ensign in the Royal Veterans at Edinburgh Castle, and Valentina Rosa de Cruz, his wife'.

Some quick research shows that the 9th Battalion Royal Veterans were based at Edinburgh Castle at this time. Does anyone know more about this regiment and if there are any records for them?

Previously the regiment had been based in Gibraltar and Madeira. My theory is that he met his wife in one of these locations as her name is certainly not English/Scottish! I think also that the Cartwrights were probably English and just based in Edinburgh during his military service.

Can anyone help or offer advice about how I can try to find the name of my 5x Great Grandfather and find any kind of marriage record between him and Valentina?

William, later has a son with Sarah Garner (now living in Leciestershire), who he also calls Valentina Rosa de Croix Cartwright after his mother. She uses both Valentina and Rose/a in later records so perhaps her mother did too.

Royal Veterans at Edinburgh Castle and a foreign marriage ...

www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=657678.0

14/08/2013 ยท Royal Veterans at Edinburgh ... an Ensign in the Royal Veterans at Edinburgh Castle, and Valentina Rosa de Cruz, ... who he also calls Valentina Rosa

Karen

Karen Report 3 Oct 2014 17:22

Thank you Ann, I've just this minute found out my daughter did this previous post.

However the question does remain regarding birth, marriage and death etc as not been able to find out anymore since then.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 3 Oct 2014 18:19

looking for Da Cruz's in those places it seems that Portugal, and Funchal are the likely places of birth

PollyPoppet

PollyPoppet Report 3 Oct 2014 18:29

could this be the son William

1851 England, Wales & Scotland Census

First Name WILLIAM
Last Name CARTWRIGHT
Birth Year 1805
Age 46
Birth Place Scotland
Birth Town Edinburgh
Birth County Midlothian
Relationship To Head of Household LODGER
Gender Male
Occupation PRINTER COMPOSITOR
Street CHURCH STREET
Parish NEWTON IN MACKERFIELD
City
County Lancashire
Division Of County SOUTH LANCASHIRE
Ecclesiastical District SAINT PETERS
Enumeration District 2E
Hamlet
House Name
House Number
Parliamentary Borough
Municipal Ward
Registration District WARRINGTON
Category Census, Land & Surveys
Record set 1851 England, Wales & Scotland Census
Collections from Great Britain
Folio 152
Page 11
Piece Number 2202
Source
Archive Reference HO107

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 3 Oct 2014 22:04

These dates may help....

9th Royal Veteran Battalion formed at Edinburgh in April 1805.
Eight companies were disbanded in 1814 and the remaining two companies were merged into the 3rd Royal Veteran Battalion in 1815.

Karen

Karen Report 4 Oct 2014 17:35

Hi Pollypoppet
Sadly no, William the son was a school teacher, we found him in the 1841 census with Sarah his wife. Many thanks though.

Eringobragh1916
Thanks for that information.

Onwards...