Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Address search on FMP please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andrew

Andrew Report 8 Sep 2014 23:37

Could someone with a sub please look on FMP to try to find a property.

I'm looking for Nirvana, Ivybridge in Devon. I can find it on Ancestry in 1881, but I'd like to know if it appears in any earlier censuses. I don't need any other detail of anyone who may be in the house, just any census record, trying to find out how old the house is.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Andy

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 8 Sep 2014 23:56

If you google Nirvana, Ivybridge, Devon there's a Nirvana House, Blachford Rd., Ivybridge and a Nirvana Close, Ivybridge.

Gritty

Gritty Report 9 Sep 2014 06:57

Can't see it on the address search, although I'm never very successful at searching on FMP so maybe someone else will take a look too.

It is mentioned in this article on Ivybridge at Henlake Down, but no dates given: http://www.ivybridge-devon.co.uk/books/bob_mann/pdf/Bob_Mann_Ivybridge.pdf

"Passing a large house called Nirvana, built for a retired governor of Ceylon (now Sri
Lanka),..."

And picture here: http://www.maitlands.biz/property-for-sale/ivybridge/devon/ivybridge/100198001858/

And this site suggests it's a victorian building: http://www.zoopla.co.uk/property-history/flat-1/nirvana-house/blachford-road/ivybridge/pl21-0ad/28993681

Gritty

Gritty Report 9 Sep 2014 07:08

It's also mentioned in this book:
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=nomIAwAAQBAJ&pg=PT27&lpg=PT27&dq=nirvana+house+built+for+retired+governor&source=bl&ots=vSbP0yHE_K&sig=z5PoToPjPhT24wpm90iwrup49q8&hl=en&sa=X&ei=u5gOVPvLJIWWapitgagG&ved=0CCEQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=nirvana%20house%20built%20for%20retired%20governor&f=false

"Nirvana was built in 1898, possibly for Sir Arthur Havelock a retiring colonial governor....Other souces suggest the original owner was a retired tea planter"

so maybe not the same house??

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 9 Sep 2014 07:38

Marriages Dec 1864 (>99%)
---------------------------------------------------------------
Morris Robert Wilmot Trevor Chorlton 8c 584
Woodall Sarah Louisa Chorlton 8c 584

26 October 1888 - Western Times - Exeter, Devon, England

COUNTY OF DEVON. NOTICE
Morris, R. W.T. Nirvana, Ivybridge.

(in a list of names, Members of the Board of Conservators for Fishery District River Avon in County)

Can see above...

Chris :)

Gritty

Gritty Report 9 Sep 2014 07:43

and that's who was there in 1881- 1901:

First name(s) Robert W T
Last name Morris
Relationship Head
Marital status Married
Gender Male
Age 65
Birth year 1836
Occupation Retired Ceylon Civil Service
Birth place Ceylon
Birth place other as transcribed CEYLON
House Nirvana
Town Ivybridge
Parish Ivybridge
Country England
County Devon
Registration district Plympton St Mary
Archive reference RG13
Piece number 2090
Folio 4
Page 48
Record set 1901 England, Wales & Scotland Census

House next door in 1901 was called Woodhaye

In 1881 it comes under Cornwood Parish, Plympton, and houses either side were Langham Farm and Blachford Cottage.

In 1871 I see a house called Blachford but no sign of Nirvana on pages before or after.

Andrew

Andrew Report 9 Sep 2014 08:30

Thank you for the replies. Would seem the house was built between 1871 and 1881 which is the info I wanted. The house has an extension dated 1896, so that could be where the confusion about build dates comes from.

Andy

mgnv

mgnv Report 10 Sep 2014 05:48

Here's the 1881 addy's (& heads of h/h's) a couple of pages each side of Nirvana

1881 RG11/?
Piece: 2189 Folio: 113 Page Number: 9
Ottawa Villa Samuel Luscombe
Ottawa Cottage Henry Macdonald
Vicarage House Frederick Granville
Beacon Villa Mary Edwards
Piece: 2189 Folio: 113 Page Number: 10
No 5 Station Road James Pickard
No 4 Station Road Mary Lugg
No 3 Station Road Martha W. Sawyer
No 2 Station Road George W. Anstiss
No 1 Station Road William H. Millman
Erme House William Blackmore
Piece: 2189 Folio: 114 Page Number: 11
Erme Cottage Martha Sherwell
Blachford Cottage John Bidgood
Blachford Cottage Thomas Walk
Blachford Cottage Selina Andrews
Nirvana Robert Morris
Piece: 2189 Folio: 114 Page Number: 12
Langham Farm Henry Cole
Dinnaton Sidon William H. Coath
Fardle Farm Henry Luscombe
Fardle Mills Sampson R. Chaffe
Piece: 2189 Folio: 115 Page Number: 13
Woodburn Farm William Maddock
Steart Farm Eliza Turpin
Blachford Lodge Agnes Turpin
Cornwood Station John Sobey
Corntown Cottage James Carpenter
Corntown William Walk

Go to http://www.streetmap.co.uk/ and search for blachford road - there's one hit, and the maps URL has the OS coordinates embedded in it, viz:
x=263272&y=56427
These measure the easting & northing in metres from the zero datum point, which is abt 134km W of & abt 25km S of Land's End.
Zoom levels 1 & 2 are street maps; zoom levels 3 & 4 are OS style topographical maps, with blue grid lines 1 km apart; zoom levels 2 & 3 are the same degree of zoom.

Now go to http://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html and enter coordinates, then select a map 1887 1:2500 is a good choice (I find a smaller scale, like 1:10560 not cery practical)..
It turns out the arrowhead is pretty much where Nirvana is, but to follow the 5 pages I've list, we need to start on Crescent Rd abt 300 m N of the arrowhead, so enter the OS coords 263350,56550
Ottawa Villas lie between Crescent Rd & the railway, then I head S down Crescent Rd a fork left (E) along Beacon Rd to the vicarage, cross over to Beacon Villa and carry on down Beacon Rd.
Station Rd comes in from left, but I cary on, and I'm now on Station Rd which turns right (S) and I visit 5 houses on Station Rd, then come to Erme House.
From there, we cross Station Rd & head W on Blachford - there's some Erme Cottages on my right - the map also shows more 100m to S, but I think the first set are ours here.
Now we just head up Blachford to Nirvana.

I've really now idea where the enumerator went next - I can't spot anyof the subsequent addy's.

Incidentally, I can search for the 12 character string 263350,56550 on streetmap, and see where I centred to old-map.