Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Nora Tomkinson- Northumberland

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 23 Aug 2014 19:41

I am trying to find the death of my Aunt by marriage, I know she remarried twice after my Uncle George passed in 1969/70? I cant find his death. There was no children. This was George's 2nd marriage so not sure when/where they married as George was born in Leicester though they did live in Northumberland. I do have old photographs of them visiting family in Leicester around 1950.
I have found a Nora Tomkinson married in 1973, spouse name Harland (which rings a bell) at Tynemouth, and a Nora Harland married in 1982 spouse name Tulloch at North Tyneside East but I'm not sure if this is her..? Can anyone recommend sites to find the answers please? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. :-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 23 Aug 2014 19:47

Observations..........

If you know her exact date of birth, then it might be possible to search for Nora (no surname) with that. Even a year of birth would help!

Nora can be spelt Norah - if she has died, the informant may not have known that

Deaths after 2006 aren't on line.

How do you know you are on the right track? You may have to purchase some of the MC's you've found to check her status and the declared father's name.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 23 Aug 2014 20:04

Could this be the marriage?

Maybe she had been married previously...?

Marriages Mar 1950

Tomkinson George E ... Maidment .... Tynemouth 1b 1105
Tomkinson George E... Fothergill .....Tynemouth 1b 1105

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 23 Aug 2014 20:06

Do you know George's birthdate.............

Deaths Sep 1970

TOMKINSON George Edward ..... 26Au1916 ..... Tynemouth 1b 1170

Linda

Linda Report 23 Aug 2014 20:09

I don't! :-( I have no idea of her D.O.B but my Uncle was born 1918 so guessing a little later than him.
I have a book for Christmas signed from her and my Uncle and she has spelt it Nora. I believe she died before 2006. Thanks for your reply.

Linda

Linda Report 23 Aug 2014 20:16

Gwyn in Kent
Thanks, Fothergill rings a bell! I think born in 1925.
George was born in Burton upon Trent in 1916 and I think the death would have been Sep 1970 as I remember my Mum was concerned to leave my sister for the funeral as her 2nd baby was due.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 23 Aug 2014 20:18

?????????

Marriages Sep 1942

Fothergill Nora ...Maidment Tynemouth 10b 382

Maidment Lewis F C .....Fothergill Tynemouth 10b 382

Linda

Linda Report 23 Aug 2014 20:23

Sounds as if she was married before marrying my Uncle... so a second marriage for both.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 23 Aug 2014 20:53

What was the name of George's father please...?
........and George's mother?

....Trying a different approach

Gwyn

Linda

Linda Report 23 Aug 2014 20:58

William John Tomkinson and Lucy Tomkinson (nee Eaton)

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 23 Aug 2014 21:05

So is this George's birth in the GRO index.......?

Births Sep 1916

Tomkinson George E ....Eaton ....Burton 6b 709

If so, the death I posted could be him..?

Gwyn

Linda

Linda Report 23 Aug 2014 21:13

I know he was born in 1916 but not sure of the exact date. Family's never seemed to discuss things years ago and his sister doesn't remember. I am pretty sure the death you found is his. Sorry, I am not too good at knowing where to search except this site and the records office but I'm in Leicester.
Linda

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 23 Aug 2014 21:19

The Army attestation papers for William state that he married Lucy EATON on 20 May 1914 at the Register Office, Burton on Trent.

It shows them with 2 children...
Harry born 30 November 1914
and
George Edward born 26 August 1916
........both born Burton on Trent

Linda

Linda Report 23 Aug 2014 21:30

Wow, thank you so much! I believe my Grandma Lucy was a nanny and I know my Grandad came from Nantwich. (He died when I was 8 and was a tailor in Leicester) They had 3 further children, all born in Burton on Trent, my Mum but I obviously know her DOB! and William DOB unknown to me and Jean 4th November 1925. I can add the info you have given me to my tree. :-D
Linda

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 23 Aug 2014 21:33

The Army information was on Ancestry.

That site has a free offer this weekend, but not sure which records you can view with that.

Might be worth a look though.

William's record was under Wm... rather than his full first name.

Gwyn

Linda

Linda Report 23 Aug 2014 21:41

Ok, I'll check that out tomorrow.
Thank you again for your help, I do appreciate it.
Linda

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 23 Aug 2014 22:50

Births Mar 1922
Tomkinson William .... Eaton ..... Burton 6b 754

This could include a birth late in 1921

Linda

Linda Report 23 Aug 2014 23:04

My Mum was born January 1921 so 1922 could be more likely..