Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Michael Roger Killeen.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 23 Aug 2014 12:17

Returning to family history after a few years break so trying again to make some headway with my search for my G/Grandfather.
Born abt.1855 San Francisco America. Married 1880 Crayford Kent England. On his marriage cert listed his father as Patrick Killeen ( Publican)
The family history in England & Australia has pretty much been covered but we can make no progress in America at all,to add to this sometime between 1892 & the 1901 Census Michael disappears from the family his daughter Lena tried to find him but no luck,there was a rumor that he went to Africa but that's all it is a rumor,also there is a death date 21-7-1927 on a Lock family tree but the person who was researching is elderly & cannot remember where the info came from,it is possible that Michael's wife needed some proof of death as she re-married in 1928,any help appreciated as this has been a "very" long running mystery.
John.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 23 Aug 2014 12:44

I don't know what the system is in the US re declaring a missing person dead after a certain length of time, but I would guess that the death date you quote is one picked by the authorities, and not an actual death date - is that what you're saying?

EDIT:
Or was his wife in England when she wanted to remarry? Whichever it was, my thoughts on the "death" date remain the same.

Am I correct in thinking that you're looking for info prior to Michael's marriage in 1880? As well as what happened to him after he disappeared?
Do you know when he went to England from the US?
Or when his father went to the US, assuming he wasn't born there?

Unfortunately, Killeen is not at all an uncommon name.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 23 Aug 2014 12:59

As a starting point, for our reference, is this him in 1891?

1891 England Census about Michael Killeen
Name: Michael Killeen
Estimated birth year: abt 1855
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Ellen Killeen
Where born: San Francisco, United States
Civil Parish: Crayford
Ecclesiastical parish: St Paulina
Town: Crayford
County/Island: Kent
Street address:

Registration district: Dartford
Sub-registration district: Bexley
ED, institution, or vessel: 13
Neighbors: View others on page
Piece: 636
Folio: 133
Page Number: 8
Household Members:
Name Age
Michael Killeen 36
Ellen Killeen 32
Victor Killeen 7
Albert Killeen 5
Lena Killeen 1

His wife, Sarah Ellen, is listed as married in 1901, and widowed in 1911 census.

John

John Report 24 Aug 2014 11:59

Thank's for the reply,this is the right person,with regards to the death date as we have no idea where the info came from we assume that Ellen applied to the authorities to have Michael declared deceased so she could re-marry. We have no idea how or when Michael arrived in England,i guess Ellen would have known but we have nothing to go on,my opinion at present is that he may well have gone back to America,logically it is the place he probably had family & would have been familiar with the country,whether this happened i don't know. When i posted on here a few years ago i had a reply saying there were 4 possible Patrick Killeen's/Publicans in San Francisco but when i asked for more info i never received a reply,so at present back to square one.
Regards John.