Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

James Findlay

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Aug 2014 13:51

I'm looking for any information on James Findlay on behalf of my mother who is his daughter. Unfortunately she does not know a huge amount about him as he died when she was young. We think he was born in 1899 possibly in Glasgow, was married and possibly had children. There was a family argument however and he left Scotland (and his family) and met my Grandmother in Manchester. My mother, Heather Mary Findlay was born in March 1955 and James died four years later in March 1959. It is thought that when he was in Manchester he worked as a Chef in a hotel. My mum also thinks that he may have had a brother called either Eric or Alec.
Any information about James and his family would be greatly appreciated as my mum knows nothing of this side of her family.

Mike *

Mike * Report 8 Aug 2014 13:56

Not born 1989 if died 1959

Mike *

Mike * Report 8 Aug 2014 13:57

Is this him ?

Name:
James Findlay

Birth Date:abt 1900

Date of Registration:Mar 1959

Age at Death:59

Registration district:Manchester
Inferred County:Lancashire

Volume:10e
Page:79

LiverpooMo

LiverpooMo Report 8 Aug 2014 14:01

Hello James,
Wonder if you have the wrong birth date for James Findlay 1989 as your Mother Heather Mary Findlay was born 1955,thought it was worth while mentioning so that you can corret and perhaps you will have some responses to your appeal.

Regard.
Maureen.
Liverpool.U.K.

Mike *

Mike * Report 8 Aug 2014 14:03

Is this your mother's birth ?

FINDLAY Heather M - SEWELL - Barton 10b 292

If you can find Findlay/Sewell marriage it may give you James's father's name.

(assuming you grandmother hadn;t been previously married)

Potty

Potty Report 8 Aug 2014 14:03

What is his father's name and occupation? This will be on your mother's parents' marriage cert. That should be your starting point.

When you have his father's name, you can look for him on the 1901 Scotland census. Then you will need to use the scotlandspeople site to find his birth (it is a pay-to-view site). Scottish bmd certs give more info than English ones and his birth cert will give the date and place of his parents' marriage as well as their names.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 8 Aug 2014 14:16

I hope it's Ok for a new member to add a comment (not sure about the protocol on here)

The wording of the request suggests that there wasn't a marriage.

The person asking for help says only that this man met her grandmother

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 8 Aug 2014 15:12

I can't find a suitable Findlay/Sewell marriage. Have you got Heathers birth certificate as this would indicate if the were married?

Jacqui - as I commented on General - it is fine to pitch in with advice. I'm not sure if Unknown just made the comment about meeting in Manchester to show that Heathers mother was not Scottish.

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Aug 2014 15:38

Thanks for the replies. Yes I made a mistake, I did mean 1899.

I know that my grandparents weren't married so I can't find any information about him from that; my Grandmother changed her name as he wasn't divorced.

I don't know the date of birth, only date of death.

The main reason I'm searching is to try and find my Mother's half-siblings. I've been searching for a long time and seem to be going round in circles so this is my last resort; to try and find someone who might know of the family and/or be my Mum's relatives (she thinks she has at least one sister)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 9 Aug 2014 04:07

Have you tried searching the trees on here to see if anyone has his name in the tree???

Look for Search in the top right of your screen

Click on it

Click on Search All Trees

If you are lucky enough to find his name in someone's tree ................. send a pm (personal message) to the tree owner, giving a little detail about why you think you might be connected

NOTE:- most members of GR do not respond well to a pm that just says "open your tree"

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 9 Aug 2014 04:12

Jacqui ...................

I think you will find that none of us assumes anything from statements made.

People have different ways of phrasing comments ............. fi we're not sure, we ask.

But it never does any harm to suggest getting certificates whenever possible :-)

Potty

Potty Report 9 Aug 2014 10:21

Guess I shouldn't have assumed there was a marriage, sorry.

James Findlay isn't that common a name - there is only one birth in Lanarkshire coming up for 1899 (nothing for Glasgow city). Do you have James exact DOB?

It will cost you £7.00 to buy 30 credits on scotlandspeople and one credit will let you see the basic entry for that birth and a further five to view the original entry. Then, having the parents' names you could look for the family on the 1901 and 1911 census.

Tracing James's marriage will be a little more complicated and expensive as images for marriages aren't available for the last 75 years and he could have married in that period, in which case you would need to order and buy certs (or Extract as it is called).

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Aug 2014 11:50

Sylvia- thanks for the advice. I've found a few James Findlays in Scotland (although none in Glasgow) born in 1899 in other's trees, I've emailed all to see if that produces any results.

Potty- unfortunately we don't have an exact date of birth. My mother has an incling that his birthday was in July which, given that he was 59 in March 1959 when he died would make his date of birth sometime in July 1899, but date of birth was not registered on a death certificate at this time, so there's no way of knowing an exact date. I'll have a look on scotlandspeople though and see if I can find any in July 1899.