Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Drownings - write up in Newspapers ???????

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sally

Sally Report 22 Jul 2014 12:26

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help.

I have two death certs, both men drowned.

1st - Samuel BAVERSTOCK died 18th Aug 1917 in the sea at Tenby, Pembroke.
There was an inquest held 20th Aug 1917

2nd - Richard George POWELL died in the river Usk at Abergavenny in Feb 1931.
There was an inquest held 9th Feb 1931.

Many thanks

Sally

Catherine

Catherine Report 22 Jul 2014 15:00

First one states that 2 soldiers died in a bathing accident.
Lance Corporal Baverstock and Private Percy Arthur both of the Welsh Regiment, accompanied by others they went to bathe from the South Shore under the Esplande just after six o'clock when the tide was nearlly at full. There was a high sea running and three of the men, Baverstock, Arthur and Turnock, got into difficulties. Private Ellis succeeded in rescuing Turnock but although desperate efforts were made, notably by Mr. George Henry Rees of Tenby, Baverstock and Arthur were drowned, their bodies being recovered later in the evening. Turnock after receiving attention recovered sufficiently to be taken to Pembroke Military Hospital.

Sorry can't see anything for the second one.

Catherine

Catherine Report 22 Jul 2014 15:18

Could only find this for Richard Powell:-

England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858-1966 about Richard George Powell
Name: Richard George Powell
Probate Date: 8 May 1931
Death Date: 9 Feb 1931
Death Place: Breconshire, Wales
Registry: Llandaff

Richard of the Legar Llangattock Brecknockshire died in the river Usk Abergavenney Monmouthshire. Administration to Charles Powell, weaver.
Effects £276 5s 5d

You could try contacting Abergavenney library to see if they have copies of local newspapers but you may have to visit to view any documents?

following this link for more info:-

http://libraries.monmouthshire.gov.uk/index.php?lang=EN&navId=8

Sally

Sally Report 22 Jul 2014 15:25

Oh thank you Catherine,

I knew someone would be able to find something.

MANY THANKS for looking for me.

I will contact Abergavenny library.

Regards
Sally :-)