Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do i find ancestors on the Canadian census?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Richard

Richard Report 28 Jun 2014 08:38

I'm looking to find 2 brothers of my grandads on the Canadian census.

from about 1910 onwards

Frederick Charles Yates b 1885 Reading berks.
William Henry Yates b 1883 Lechlade. Glos.

they are not on the 1911 uk census but they are in the 1901 (Reading) along with Albert Yates
Arthur Yates
Sarah YAtes
Ernest Yates

(who are all on the 1911 uk census)

thanks

Richard

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Jun 2014 08:43

No way of knowing if this is the right man

Canada, Voters Lists, 1935-1980 about Frederick Charles Yates
Name: Frederick Charles Yates
Year: 1963
Electoral District: Wellington South

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Jun 2014 08:48

Again no knowing if this is right man

Name: William H Yates
Year: 1935
Electoral District: Broadview
Address 75 Badgerow

With a wife not named

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 28 Jun 2014 08:49

Richard - what were their occupations (if any) in 1901?

I've found on the 1901 a William Henry Yates born 1883 Lechlade who is a nephew to the Hodges, this one's a worker in a flour mill.

Ricochet

Ricochet Report 28 Jun 2014 08:55

background can be found on previous thread asking about these men

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1319273

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 28 Jun 2014 08:59

Thanks for that Ricochet, I've deleted the info I posted above and will add to the previous thread.

Richard - over on the left of these pages (under Tools) is a link "My Threads". Click on that to get back to any previous requests you have made. If you require further information on a previous request then just add to the old request rather than start a new one. That way all of the info is in one place and can be seen in context and we don't go over old ground.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 28 Jun 2014 13:03

I'll remind Richard how to find his replies again.... :-)

Richard

Richard Report 29 Jun 2014 14:53

Marie

Re- a William Henry Yates born 1883 Lechlade who is a nephew to the Hodges, this one's a worker in a flour mill.

That is correct.
I have found several Willam and Fredericks yates's from Canada who all fit the description, including some that have died in WW1 some some that had survived.

Frederick Charles Yates married Margaret Morgan in 1907 Reading Reg Office. ( i have the certificate). Fred was a hairdresser! aged 21 Margaret was 28 and lived at 639 Oxford Road Reading.

William henry Yates married Millicent Kingham (both 21) in 1904 in Kings Langley William was a labourer.

mgnv

mgnv Report 1 Jul 2014 00:56

If your guy served in the Canadian army in WW1, you can usually check his attestation form - this lists the parish or town of his birth, and the name & addy of his n.o.k.

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/first-world-war-1914-1918-cef/Pages/search.aspx

Richard

Richard Report 1 Jul 2014 06:33

thanks that is most helpful, although it didnt find anything