Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

R. Lewis Macdougall - born 1912 in Hong Kong

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date
Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

Veronica

Veronica Report 24 Jun 2014 22:25

Robert Lewis Macdougall (preferred name Lewis) was an only child. His mother Kate died in 1944, and his name appears on her death certificate. His father was already deceased. At the timeof her death Kate lived at Lilybank Gardens, Hillhead, Glasgow.(Confirmed by Scotlands People)

I can't find any info about a Will. Is their anyway of finding out who lived at this address after her death. I have been unable to find any more info about Lewis.

I found a tree on Ancestry that suggested he was in the Army in 1942 but the info was unsourcede and gave no other information.

Veronica in Dundas, ON, Canada

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 24 Jun 2014 22:42

You should maybe have added this to your thread about Kitty / Kate.

Did Lewis not give his address on his Mum's death certificate? In Scotland it is usual for the informant to give their address.

The Electoral Roll would tell you who was registered to vote at that address. It's not available online but at The Mitchell Library.

By the 1960s many of the houses in Lilybank Gardens had been bought over by Glasgow University.

Mike *

Mike * Report 25 Jun 2014 00:42

Related post

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1341709

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 25 Jun 2014 10:21

Thanks for the link Mike. I was using an iPad last night and I haven't figured out yet how to copy and paste the link to another thread. Getting a bit slow with technology in my old age :-)

Mike *

Mike * Report 25 Jun 2014 10:53

What's an iPad ????
:-D

Veronica

Veronica Report 25 Jun 2014 22:24

I just checked the death certificate and the only address on it is 33 Lilybank Gardens, it says Lewis was present which suggest that this might be his home address also.

I don't have access to The Mitchell but will ask my cousin Gwyneth if she can do some checking for me. Won't be for a couple of weeks because she is currently staying with me in Dundas, Ontario.

Didn't want to ask too much at once. I was thrilled just to get Kates death info thanks to your research.

Hard trying to do the scottish stuff from Canada.

Veronica

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 25 Jun 2014 23:40

Veronica, it is the more recent Scottish stuff that is difficult from a distance. If I wasn't going off on holiday I would have taken a wee run up to the Mitchell for you! If you are no further forward in a month or so, send me message and I'll try to have a look for you. I worked for the University in the 60s in Lilybank Gardens - very posh 3 story houses with space for servants.

Veronica

Veronica Report 26 Jun 2014 14:07

Thank you so much for your help. I have done a book for the family on William Brown Macdougall, one of Robert Ernest's siblings. He was an accomplished artist and illustrator but every now and then something new pops up as it did yesterday when we came across a photograph of him that we had never seen before. He was married to Margaret Armour who was a translator, author and poet.

Your description of the houses in Lilybank Gardens gives us an insight into Robert Ernest & Kitty's life. They must have made a lot of money in their time in the Far East. John yril another sibling died in Shanghai and his widow lived in China and Japan for the rest of her life.

Enjoy your holiday, and I may well be in touch later to ask for help.

best regards

Veronica