Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Alfred Henry Cannings 1897 - 1916

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Michelle

Michelle Report 8 Jun 2014 13:18

Hello,
Can anyone help me find more information on my Great Uncle Alfred Henry Cannings who was killed in WWI. Born 28/2/1897 in Bristol, Baptised 21/3/1897 and died aged 19 on 24/11/1916.
I'm not sure where he was killed although he is on the Thiepval Memorial in France.
He was with the Royal Berkshire Regiment 2/4th Battalion.
Thats the only information I have apart from seeing him on the 1901 & 1911 Census in Bristol.
Thanks for reading this.
Michelle

Gee

Gee Report 8 Jun 2014 13:28

I should think he died on the Somme

Cemetery: Thiepval Memorial

Area: Somme

Official Number: 5872

Unit: 2nd/4th Bn. Royal Berkshire Regiment.

Force: Army

Nationality: British

Details:
24th November 1916. Age 19. Son of Alfred and Alice Cannings of 6 Norman Rd. Mina Rd. Bristol. Pier and Face 11 D.

If you don't already have a photo of his head stone, you can send for a copy from here

http://twgpp.org/information.php?id=56480

Michelle

Michelle Report 8 Jun 2014 13:36

Hi Gins
Thanks for that info re photos, I am going to order a hard copy.
What I would really like is a photo of him as no one in the family has one of him or knows much about him now.
I wonder if the Army archives would have one?
Thanks
Michelle

Gee

Gee Report 8 Jun 2014 13:46

Hi

I shouldn't think anyone would have a photo of him. Family photographs were not a common thing at that time

I've searched trees at Ancestry and I can't see anyone having a tree with Alfred in it

Michelle

Michelle Report 8 Jun 2014 13:51

Thats what I thought.
Thanks
Michelle