Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Oswestry electoral rolls

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date
Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

Val23

Val23 Report 7 Jun 2014 11:29

Does anyone visit Shropshire records office that would be willing to do a look up for me please? I know that Thomas Mark Jones was living at Ivy cottage, Middleton road, Oswestry, he is on the absent voters list for 1918. I would like to know if anyone else was living at that same address, possibly a wife, so that I can continue my research on Thomas.

Val

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 7 Jun 2014 12:34

I very much doubt that his wife would be on the electoral roll at that time as she would have to be over 30 and own property in her own right. It wasn't until 1928 that all women over the age of 21 got the vote.

Kath. x

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 7 Jun 2014 12:59

Look for a possible marriage using freebmd

How did you work back to this man?

Where and when was he born?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 7 Jun 2014 13:01

???????????

Births Dec 1894 (>99%)
Jones Thomas Mark Bangor 11b 414

Marriages Mar 1917 (>99%)
Evans Lily E Jones Oswestry 6a 1075
Jones Thomas M Evans Oswestry 6a 1075

Put freebmd in your favourites.....................

Val23

Val23 Report 7 Jun 2014 17:42

Reggie,

This man was my grandmothers brother, he was born in 1895 in Llanfairfechan, Caernarvonshire.

I have been given information about his time in the war and told that he shows on the Absent voters list for 1918. I would like to know whether anyone else was at the same address that I was given because after 1911 census I have no further info on him or his brother.

The marriage you have posted on here is the same one that I had found, but not definite that it's him.

Thank you

Val23

Val23 Report 7 Jun 2014 17:43

Thank you for that kath.

Val x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 7 Jun 2014 18:18

The birth that Reggie posted was registered in the Bangor Registration District.

Bangor covers Llanfairfechan so is probably the correct birth. If you are taking his year of birth of 1895 from census or army records these are quite often a year or 2 out so the 1894 birth seems right to me.

Kath. x

Val23

Val23 Report 7 Jun 2014 18:36

Kath

yes, it more than likely is the correct birth. I may purchase it at a later date, but at the moment im trying to locate him in later life and his brother Hughie/Hugh.

I am considering getting the marriage cert that Reggie posted, it was the same that i had found, but I have had so many false starts with this family.

Val x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 7 Jun 2014 20:02

I know this isn't what you are looking for but this is a POSSIBLE for the Lily in the marriage that you and Reggie found (in the 1911 census). The father's name on the marriage certificate would confirm if it's right:-

Age Gender First name(s) Last name Birth year Birth place Relationship Occupation Marital condition

63 Male GEORGE EVANS 1848 RODEN LANE SALOP HEAD FISH MONGER MARRIED
62 Female ELIZA EVANS 1849 COTON WHITCHURCH WIFE - MARRIED
26 Female LILY EDITH EVANS 1885 WEM SHROPSHIRE DAUGHTER - SINGLE<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
18 Male JAMES EVANS 1893 WEM SHROPSHIRE SON FISH MONGER ASSISTANT SINGLE
39 Female ELIZABETH MANLEY 1872 GLOUCESTER CITY BOARDER ACTRESS MARRIED
19 Female VIOLET HELEN MANLEY 1892 HAWICK N B BOARDER ACTRESS SINGLE
15 Female MARY KATHLEEN MANLEY 1896 GIRVAN N B BOARDER ACTRESS SINGLE
11 Female ISABELLE GRACE MANLEY 1900 FALKIRK N B BOARDER - SINGLE

Address:- 41 New Street, Wellington, Shropshire.

Parents married 34 years. 8 children born to the marriage. 6 living and 2 have died by 1911.

Kath. x

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 7 Jun 2014 20:46

William Henry Evans.
In the Spring and Autumn of 1921 he was living with someone who perhaps was his mother or a first wife?
Oswestry South Ward
Mary Eleanor Evans Ivy Cottage Middleton Road Oswestry
William Henry Evans Ivy Cottage Middleton Road Oswestry
He is on his own at Ivy Cottage in the Spring of 1922.

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/ENG-SHROPSHIRE-PLUS/2002-11/1037725443

(an old query from someone on above, could relate?)

JOHN EVANS 1857 OSWESTRY SALOP HEAD TIMEKEEPER LOCO CAMBRIAN RLYS MARRIED
MARY ELEANOR EVANS 1856 OSWESTRY SALOP WIFE - MARRIED
WILLIAM HENRY EVANS 1892 OSWESTRY SALOP SON HAIR DRESSER SINGLE
Address IVY COTTAGE MIDDLETON ROAD OSWESTRY
Parish OSWESTRY URBAN
Registration district OSWESTRY
Subdistrict OSWESTRY
Enumeration district 21
Census reference RG14PN16150 RG78PN997 RD350 SD3 ED21 SN405
(Married 33yrs 6 children born 5 living 1 died)

JOHN EVANS HEAD MARRIED Male 44 1857 WATCHMAN IN RAILWAY WORKS OSWESTRY, SALOP
MARY E EVANS WIFE MARRIED Female 45 1856 - OSWESTRY, SALOP
JOHN EVANS SON SINGLE Male 21 1880 GENERAL LABOURER OSWESTRY, SALOP
G EDWARD EVANS SON SINGLE Male 19 1882 BRICKLAYER OSWESTRY, SALOP
LILLY E EVANS DAUGHTER SINGLE Female 11 1890 - OSWESTRY, SALOP
WILLIAM H EVANS SON SINGLE Male 7 1894 - OSWESTRY, SALOP
ALICE CORBETT NIECE SINGLE Female 34 1867 DOMESTIC SERVANT OSWESTRY, SALOP
Street CRIPPLEGATE
Parish OSWESTRY URBAN
County Shropshire
Country ENGLAND
Municipal ward CASTLE
Parliamentary borough WESTERN OR OSWESTRY OF SALOP
Registration district OSWESTRY
Enumeration district 13
Series RG13
Piece number 2545
Folio number 53
Page 2

Chris :)

Val23

Val23 Report 8 Jun 2014 21:04

Thanks Kath, I've made a note of that.

Val x

Val23

Val23 Report 8 Jun 2014 21:11

Chris,

many thanks for that info and link. That is very interesting, It is looking like there is a definite link to Lily Evans, looking at the cenuses Mary was her mother. So there is a good chance that the marriage we have for Lily Evans and Thomas Jones could be the right one. I'm going to have go for it and order the cert.

Thankyou :-)

Val23

Val23 Report 13 Jun 2014 11:03

Thanks to everyone for their replies to my query. I now have the marriage cert that Reggie put up and it is the right one. This shows Ivy cottage as his spouses home at marriage and with the post from Chris confirms it to have been the family home for a few years.

Val

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 13 Jun 2014 11:14

Thanks for letting us know..............

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 13 Jun 2014 11:20

1911 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital condition Gender Age Birth year Birth place Occupation
Owen Jones Penteulu Priod Male 47 1864 Carnarvon Llanfairfechan Gerasim Labrur Cyffordin Image Transcription
Margaret Jones Gwraig Priod Female 35 1876 Llanarmon - Image Transcription
Hughie Jones Mab Sengl Male 21 1890 Carnarvon Llanfairfechan Labour Cyffredin Image Transcription
Thomas Mark Jones Mab Sengl Male 16 1895 Carnarvon Llanfairfechan Labour Cyffredin Image Transcription
Deborah Jones Merch - Female 13 1898 Carnarvon Llanfairfechan Ysgol Image Transcription
Ceridiwen Jones Merch - Female 11 1900 Carnarvon Llanfairfechan Ysgol

???????

Births Sep 1891 (>99%)
Jones Hughie Bangor 11b 453

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 13 Jun 2014 11:22

???????

JONES, HUGHIE

Service No: 290532
Date of Death: 26/03/1917
Regiment/Service: Royal Welsh Fusiliers 7th Bn.

Panel Reference Panels 20 to 22.
Memorial
JERUSALEM MEMORIAL
Additional Information:

Val23

Val23 Report 14 Jun 2014 23:39

Reggie,

The 1911 census is the correct one for my grandmothers family, she is named on there as Ceridwen (her middle name) but her first name was Ellen, she shows as Ellen C on 1901 census.

She moved to Lancashire after 1911 census, where she spent the rest of her life.
I have details of the death of her parents and her sister Deborah and I was left with trying to find what happened to Thomas and Hughie.

With the info I have got from my post on here, I am looking at Lily's family too, and trying to see if I can find any more info on Thomas.

Thank you for the details about Hughie that you have put up for me, I will try to find out more if I can, to ascertain if he is the one I'm looking for.

Obviously Jones is a difficult name, to trace, and doesn't help that most Christian names are the same.

Val

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 15 Jun 2014 07:50

https://sites.google.com/site/holyheadwarmemorial19141918/home/army/hughie-jones-royal-welsh-fusiliers

Hughie Jones, Royal Welsh Fusiliers
Serjeant, 290532
Born at Holyhead the son of Hugh and Mary Jones (nee Jones), of Tower Stores (House), 29 William Street, Holyhead. In 1911 he lived with his parents, older brother and adopted sister at Tower House, 29 William Street, Holyhead. He was employed as a Grocer's Assistant (at Blaenau Festiniog?). His father was born at Holyhead and was employed as a Stoker for the Trinity Service. His mother came from Llanfachraeth, Anglesey.

(also ties in with below, FMP, Mother Mary, address, 29, William Street)

British Army Service Records 1914-1920 Transcription

(below comes up on a google search, looking on FreeBMD quite a few Hugh/Hughie/Hughy!)

Hughie Jones
Birth: Jul. 16, 1888
Llanfairfechan
Conwy, Wales
Death: Jun. 22, 1980
Redgranite
Waushara County
Wisconsin, USA

Family links:
Spouse: Florence Jones (1895 - 1970)

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi

Chris :)

Val23

Val23 Report 15 Jun 2014 19:09

Chris,

Thanks, much appreciated, but that is not the right Hughie Jones. My Hughie was born in 1890 in Llanfairfechan, the son of Owen and Margaret Jones. They lived on Mona terrace.

Val