Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Kain Family

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helena

Helena Report 7 Jun 2014 01:35

Can anyone assist with information about Thomas Jeremiah Kain.

I cannot determine his place of birth but family folklore says that he was born in Germany. However all factual history points to Ireland or Scotland.

He is recorded as being a Private in the 1st Royal Scots G Company.

On the 15 Aug 1883 in the Curragh, Kildare Ireland he married Catherine Browe. I imagine that their was a military barracks in the Curragh at that time.
On the 05 Jun 1886 in Maryhill, Lanarkshire, Scotland; Maryhill Barracks Catherine gave birth to their first son also named Thomas Jeremiah Kain.

On both the marriage record and the birth certificate for Thomas Jnr, Thomas Snr is stated as being a Private in the 1st Royal Scots G Company.

Their daughter Kathleen was born in County Clare Ireland in about 1888, while their son Christopher was born in Dublin.
In the Irish Census of 1901 Catherine is noted as being a widow.
Any assistance would greatly be appreciated. I have gone around in circles trying to find army records. Thanks Helena.

Astra

Astra Report 7 Jun 2014 06:34

Hi Helena

From the marriage certificate who does Thomas name as his father?

What was his age?

Flip

Flip Report 7 Jun 2014 06:45

Helena,

I would be better to delete one of your threads, there's no point in duplicating any research.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/military_chat/thread/1341294

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 7 Jun 2014 07:17

Have you tried Scotlands People for a possible baptism . He would have born pre Scottish birth registration I would think

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 7 Jun 2014 07:40

Is this the right family on the 1901 census ?
Residents of a house 26.3 in Charlemont Street (Fitzwilliam, Dublin)
Show all information
Surname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses
Kane Mary 11 Female Daughter R Catholic Dublin City Scholar Read and write - Not Married -
Kane Kathleen 13 Female Daughter R Catholic Co Clare Scholar Read and write - Not Married -
Kane Catherine 40 Female Head of Family R Catholic Dublin City Charwomen Read and write English Widow -
Kane Christopher 9 Male Son R Catholic Dublin City Scholar Read and write - Not Married -
Ua Catháin Tomás 14 Male Son R Catholic Scotland Telegraph Mgr Read and write Irish and English Not Married -

If so was Thomas senior about the same age as Catherine ? If so his birth could be on Scotlands People

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 7 Jun 2014 10:41

Looks like the birth record of Thomas junior

Print individual transcription View image
First Name THOMAS J
Last Name KAIN
Year Range 1886
Place MARYHILL
Country SCOTLAND
Regiment 1st Royal Scots
Volume 1291
Page 93
Record set British nationals armed forces births 1761-2005
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Record collection Births & baptisms
Collections from Great Britain

Posted as it came up but am aware you got the cert

Helena

Helena Report 7 Jun 2014 15:09

Thank you Astra, Flip and Shirley

Astra the marriage certificate does not contain the name of either father for Thomas or Catherine.
Flip I was unsure That if I only posted on general the military people would pick up the call for help.
Shirley, the census record and birth record you have found are for the correct family . However I am unable to identify Thomas Snr din the Scottish records.

Thank all of you for trying to assist. I am stuck! Best Helena