Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

EMMA A HILL (nee GARDNER) - b.1ST Q, 1880, STEPNEY

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Natalie

Natalie Report 4 Jun 2014 15:47

I've been trying to find the date of my Great-Grandmother Emma Annie Hill's death for ages now & failed. She was born Jan-Mar 1880 in Stepney, London (Mile End Old Town). Her parents were Abraham Gardner & Emma Perry. She married John Blair Hill from Ardrossan in 1900 & lived in Gravesend, Kent. She had six children between 1901-1910 (John Southwood, Percy William, Nellie Violet & Bertie James), but 2 died. All I've been told by my Dad (Ian Hill) & Aunt (Lesley Hill) that she died when my Grandfather (John & Emma's youngest son Bertie James) was very young. I seem to have hit a dead end & find it frustrating. I am also interested in trying to find the details of John & Emma's 2 children that died. All I know there is that the 1911 Census indicates they had 6 children, 4 living & 2 dead.

Any advice/help is welcome & would much appreciated. I am only able to message members for another 27 days.

Kind regards,

NATALIE HOCKLEY (nee HILL)

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Jun 2014 16:06

Look for info at.....................

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

If you wish to reply............... please do so on here.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Jun 2014 16:10

Possible deaths of children

Deaths Jun 1901 (>99%)
Hill Leonard Arthur 0 Gravesend 2a 323
Deaths Sep 1902 (>99%)
Hill William 0 Gravesend 2a 310
Deaths Dec 1905 (>99%)
Hill Leslie James 2 Gravesend 2a 352

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Jun 2014 16:13

For info ONLY

1911 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital condition Gender Age Birth year Birth place Occupation
JOHN BLAIR HILL HEAD MARRIED Male 32 1879 ARDROSTAN NB AYSHIRE CRANE DRIVER STEAM Image Transcription
EMMA ANNIE HILL WIFE MARRIED Female 31 1880 STEPNEY LONDON - Image Transcription
JOHN SOUTH WOOD HILL SON - Male 10 1901 GRAVESEND KENT SCHOOL Image Transcription
PERCY WILLIAM HILL SON - Male 9 1902 GRAVESEND KENT SCHOOL Image Transcription
NELLIE VIOLET HILL DAUGHTER - Female 5 1906 GRAVESEND KENT SCHOOL Image Transcription
BERTIE JAMES HILL SON - Male 0 1911 GRAVESEND KENT - Image Transcription

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Jun 2014 16:15

This would suggest that the family remained in the Gravesend area...........

Marriages Sep 1930 (>99%)
Hill Nellie V Thorogood Gravesend 2a 2282
THOROGOOD Victor H Hill Gravesend 2a 2282

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Jun 2014 16:18

Perhaps Emma didn't die when she was supposed to have......perhaps she left the family, and the fact was covered up.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Jun 2014 16:19

When and where did John Blair Hill die?

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 4 Jun 2014 16:24

Not seeing an obvious death and the fact that Reggie has shown the family in the area later, I would certainly agree that she may have died much later than you have been led to believe.

Dea

Dea Report 4 Jun 2014 16:30

John Blair Hill of 24 Wrotham Rd., Gravesend, Kent died 7th March 1941 at Royal at Royal Northern Hospital, Holloway, London. - probate to son Bertie James.

Dea x

Natalie

Natalie Report 4 Jun 2014 16:51

Thank you all so much for the brilliant information you have generously found for me. I will put it to good use. I will also widen my search for Emma Annie Hill's death. I don't know why, but the info re John Blair Hill's death brought tears to my eyes, lol.

Natalie x

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 4 Jun 2014 16:58

Deaths Mar 1916 (>99%)
------------------------------------------------
Hill Annie K 35 Gravesend 2a 939

(Find My Past has below)

First name(s) ANNIE E
Last name HILL
Gender Female
Birth year 1881
Age 35
Death quarter 1
Death year 1916
District GRAVESEND
County Kent
Country England
Volume 2A
Page 939

Chris :)

Dea

Dea Report 4 Jun 2014 17:12

Looks good Chris !

Dea x

Natalie

Natalie Report 4 Jun 2014 18:17

Thanks once again for the time spent on forwarding this information onto me. I have come across the lady you mentioned. Unfortunately, it's not the right lady because my Great Grandmother was definitely Emma Annie Hill (nee Gardner) as first mentioned at the top of this thread. Once again, thank you Chris.

Natalie x :-)

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 4 Jun 2014 18:27

Hmm... have seen many a name 'round the other way'...

Chris :)

Name: Emma Annie Gardiner
Baptism Date: 11 Apr 1880 (Born 23 January)
Father's Name: Abram Gardiner (Custom's Officer)
Mother's name: Emma Gardiner
Parish or Poor Law Union: Stepney St Thomas
Borough: Tower Hamlets
Register Type: Parish Registers
(abode, 26, Patterson Street)

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 4 Jun 2014 18:37

With the lack of anything more positive, I would certainly consider that death Natalie. The informant may have known her as Annie.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 4 Jun 2014 18:54

Baptism

Name: Emma Annie Gardiner
Record Type: Baptism
Baptism Date: 11 Apr 1880 ........born 23 January 1880 *
Father's Name: Abram Gardiner ................Customs Officer
Mother's name: Emma Gardiner
Parish or Poor Law Union: Stepney St Thomas
Borough: Tower Hamlets
Register Type: Parish Registers

* I think image says 23.

Family live at 26 Paterson Street

Gwyn

Natalie

Natalie Report 4 Jun 2014 19:50

To Rootgatherer - I definitely haven't written off the info that Chris gave me earlier re Annie E. But if it's the one I've come across before, she could well be the one that I found had lived/born in Hoo,Kent. My Emma Annie was born in Mile End Old Town/Stepney. Thank you though for your advice.

To Chris - I definitely think you've "hit the nail on the head". Thank you so much - it's making things more interesting.

To Gwyn - I am really grateful for the great information you've also taken the time to send me. I really believe it's what I'm after. I've never heard of "Poor Law Union" before - another name for a Parish type area.

I really am grateful to all of you.