Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

52 smith st salford 1901

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret Elizabeth

Margaret Elizabeth Report 31 May 2014 13:10

hi can anyone tell me what webb site has a free census for addresses...im sure there used to be one but cant remember.....i am trying to find who lived at 52 smith st salford in 1901...many thanks

Dea

Dea Report 31 May 2014 13:16

It used to be easily done on FMP site but since they have 'improved' the search facility I find this impossible now. - I know a few have mastered it so perhaps someone else can have a look for you.

Who is it you are expecting to be there?

Dea Xxx

Margaret Elizabeth

Margaret Elizabeth Report 31 May 2014 13:19

thank you dea...nobody in particular...it was just an address that came up xxx

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 31 May 2014 13:22

Sprague family in 1911

I have the same problem as Dea on FMP.

Dea

Dea Report 31 May 2014 13:58

BY George - I've done it !!!!!!!!!!!!! :-0

The answer is - NOT to type the street name where it tells you to type the street name but leave that empty and put the street into 'Optional key word' ;-) :-D :-D :-D

Voila:

1901 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
Print household transcription
Household Members
First name(s) Last name Relationship to head Marital condition Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
PETER BANKS HEAD MARRIED Male 66 1835 LIFE INSURANCE AGENT ECCLESTON, LANCASHIRE
SARAH ANN BANKS WIFE MARRIED Female 60 1841 - STOCKPORT, CHESHIRE
ELIZABETH E BANKS DAUGHTER SINGLE Female 23 1878 DRAWER IN COTTON MILL ADLINGTON, LANCASHIRE
WILLIAM R BANKS SON SINGLE Male 18 1883 WAREHOUSE HAND IN COTTON MILL ADLINGTON, LANCASHIRE
OLIVIA HAMBLETON VISITOR WIDOW Female 63 1838 - STOCKPORT, CHESHIRE
Print individual transcription View image
Individual transcription
First name(s) PETER
Last name BANKS
Relationship to head HEAD
Marital condition MARRIED
Gender Male
Age 66
Birth year 1835
Occupation LIFE INSURANCE AGENT
Birth town ECCLESTON
Birth county LANCASHIRE
Birth place -
House number 52
House name -
Street 52 SMITH STREET
Parish SALFORD
Town -
County Lancashire
Country ENGLAND
Municipal ward TRAFFORD
Parliamentary borough SOUTH SALFORD
Registration district SALFORD
Series RG13
Piece number 3738
Folio number 104
Page 19
Record set 1901 England, Wales & Scotland Census
Category Census, land & surveys
Record collection Census
Collections from Great Britain

Well, you learn something every day ;-) :-D

Dea Xxx

P.S.

Mind you, the search did tell me that there were 274 people living at that address but luckily they were in alphabetical order so he came up first ;-)

You need to then check the image to see if you have the correct address as the majority were not even on Smith Street??

Dea x

Margaret Elizabeth

Margaret Elizabeth Report 31 May 2014 13:58

sorry for late reply glitterbaby......well i have got a name that might prove useful xxxxx

Margaret Elizabeth

Margaret Elizabeth Report 31 May 2014 14:03

ha ha ha thank you dea xxxxxxxxxxx

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 31 May 2014 14:17

Thanks Dea

I took a look and did a help and found the page but wasn't getting the street to come up as I put it in street name, as you would lol

Knowing it's not the to right way will help now if I want to look another time providing I haven't had a senior moment by then and forgotten how !!!

Dea

Dea Report 31 May 2014 14:26

Silly Shirley - fancy typing the street name in the box where it says 'type street name' !!! - You should know better! ;-) :-D :-D :-D

I don't know about you but I will not be renewing this year on FMP - It is now totally useless.

When Ancestry changed their search page earlier in the year I had half decided that I would just renew FMP and forget Ancestry but now FMP is even worse. I don't know why they always have to change things that are working well but I think there will be a lot of revenue lost by them in the near future.

Dea Xxx

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 31 May 2014 14:30

I am seriously considering not renewing FMP too I mostly use it to look up for others anyway

Don't like ancestry but am getting around it a bit better .they haven't given instructions on how to navigate the site but I am hitting on ways as I go .

Margaret Elizabeth

Margaret Elizabeth Report 31 May 2014 14:39

ha ha ha ....thank you everyone xxxxx

Dea

Dea Report 31 May 2014 14:44

You are welcome Margaret - I hope the info helps.

Dea Xxx

P.S. - All my relatives and my husbands relatives are from Salford or thereabouts - perhaps we will bump into each other again in our research.

Dea Xxx

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 31 May 2014 14:58

Thanks from me too Dea. I have FMP but yesterday couldn't master the 1911 address search. It was so easy before the "improvements" Shirley also had a go for me. So now we've both learnt something new. I'm off to try it out. :-D

EDIT...HELP.

i haven't got an "Optional Keyword" box.

From the beginning I asked to search census and then filled in the info on that page. Where am I going wrong? PLEASE.

I have UNTICKED my continuous membership box.

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 31 May 2014 15:34

Tenerife Sun..neither have I :-(

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 31 May 2014 15:42

Jude I'm pleased to hear that in a funny sort of way

I wonder if I've gone about my 1911 address search in completely the wrong way. I did try FMP tips/help etc but it wasn't much help

Come back Dea we need you :-D

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 31 May 2014 16:08

Census, land & surveys

Census in Census, land & surveys (this one has Optional keywords box)

Chris :)

edits

(if you see number 1 above, All Collections is written above it, click that, then choose Census)

Probably an easier way, I'd like a Search Box for Marriage Year, if you know where that's gone!.

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 31 May 2014 16:13

Yippee!

Thanks Chris:-)

Jude

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 31 May 2014 16:30

Yep got it, not easy to find without help though, thanks Chris :-)

EDIT ...Using the same principle you can do this on Ancestry. I've only tried it on the 1911

Dea

Dea Report 31 May 2014 17:12

You have to click on census only and then 'advanced' I think !!

Glad you got there without me ! ;-) :-D :-D

FMP - you are a 'gonner' very soon !

Dea Xxx