Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HERON, Lilly Jane (nee REID)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JoannePeterson

JoannePeterson Report 28 May 2014 16:02

Looking for information and/or photos of Lilly Jane HERON (nee REID; daughter of William REID and Margaret REIDFORD/REDFORD), born October 14, 1868 Banff, Banffshire, Scotland, died August 1, 1951 Keithhall, Aberdeenshire, Scotland.

Married December 2, 1908 to Gilbert Heron, Jr. She was his third wife.

Also interested in information and/or photos of Lilly Jane's children -- Lilly Jane Meldrum REID (illegitimate; 1891 - 1984); Lizzie Ann REID (illegitimate; 1892 - 1957; my grandmother); Charles Coull REID (surnames sometimes seen as HERON; illegitimate; 1906 - 1988); Mary Ann BARTLETT (illegitimate; 1898 - 1986); Elsie HERON (legitimate; 1909 - 1998); and William HERON (legitimate; 1911 - 1984).

I know virtually nothing of Lilly Jane's children other than my grandmother who emigrated to Canada c1916 after her marriage. Dates of birth and death of the others have been obtained from documents purchased through ScotlandsPeople but I have not been able to make contact with anyone researching any of Lilly Jane's children.

Moira

Moira Report 28 May 2014 16:37

do you have Ancestry, if so there are a lot of people with her in their tree's well worth a look, but you would need to check that what they have is correct, also Scotlands People are very helpful

Moira

Moira Report 28 May 2014 16:42

Lilly Jane Meldrum Reid married a Donald Alexander Farquharson at North Itlaw, Alvah, Scotland on 30/05/1914 aged 23

Moira

Moira Report 28 May 2014 16:46

there are copies of marriage certs and death certs on some of the tree's

Moira

Moira Report 28 May 2014 16:54

Mary Ann Bartlett married John Gray Barron 12/01/1918 at Kintire Arms Hotel, Inverurie, Aberdeen County, Scotland. Again there are photos of certs. to look at.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 May 2014 16:57

If you don't subscribe to Ancestry, you can access the Public Trees and make contact with the owners who have recorded the same Ancestors on

http://www.mundia.com/ca/

Once you've registered, its free to use.

You could also try search All Members Trees (top right under Search) on this site. If anyone else has the family listed, use the 'find out more' button to send the tree owner a message

JoannePeterson

JoannePeterson Report 28 May 2014 18:39

Thank you Moira and DetEcTive ---- yes, I do subscribe to Ancestry and some cousins and I have trees on there.

We have reviewed any tidbit of information that we can find on Lilly Jane, her ancestry and descendants that we can find but our grandmother, Lizzie Ann (nee Reid) Duncan, who died in 1957, would never speak of the family that was left behind in Scotland with her daughters so we have been grasping at straws trying to find out anything about them. When we eventually learned about ScotlandsPeople we began purchasing documents which provided us with the information that I have shown above. We don't, though, have any photos of Great-Grandma Lilly Jane (nee Reid) Heron and any of her children or other descendants.

So, we continue to place queries in the hope that we can make contact with someone who might be able to provide us with additional documentation, photos, etc.

I do have the information (and copies of birth and marriage documents) for Lilly Jane Meldrum Reid and Mary Ann Bartlett.

Again, thank you so much. Every contact is appreciated.

Joanne Dumas Peterson
Alberta, Canada

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 28 May 2014 21:20

Have you contacted the other GR members who may have Lilly in their trees?

JoannePeterson

JoannePeterson Report 28 May 2014 22:27

Yes, Reggie, I have contacted those that appear to have a Lilly Reid Heron in their tree from Scotland. From what information we have, it doesn't appear that she ever left the north east part of Scotland anytime through her life.

Her father, William, was a farm servant when she was born in 1868 at Boghead, Ord, Banff; she was a housekeeper at Selbihill, Bourtie, Aberdeen at the time of her marriage in 1908; and she was living at Kirkell Cottage, Keithhall, Aberdeen at the time of her death in 1951.

Her four illegitimate children were born in Banff/Aberdeen and the two she had after her marriage to Gilbert Heron were born in Bourtie, Aberdeen.

So, I've been limiting my research to that area of the country.

Her daughter, Lilly Jane Meldrum Reid, and son-in-law, Donald Alexander Farquharson, seem to have disappeared from Scottish records after their 1914 marriage though. No record has been found of emigration so far but they may have moved outside the country.

Joanne