Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Emily Eliza Ellis - nee Gebbett

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul

Paul Report 27 May 2014 10:02

Despite searching death records for my grandmother, Emily Eliza Ellis, maiden name Gebbett - who was born in Bermondsey on the 6th Sept. 1845, I can find no record of her demise. The last information I found was that she was living in the Camberwell area in 1918 and I have a photo that I believe is her with my mother and brother taken in 1929. I've bought a couple of death certificates on the off-chance but to no avail. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Paul A. Ellis Born 1935

Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 27 May 2014 10:17

Born when?

Births Sep 1855 (>99%)
GEBBETT Emily Eliza Bermondsey 1d 92

Marriages Sep 1880 (>99%)

ELLIS Robert St. Olave 1d 374a
GEBBETT Emily Eliza St. Olave 1d 374a

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 27 May 2014 10:24

When did ROBERT die?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 27 May 2014 10:28

First name(s) Last name Relationship to head Marital condition Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
EMILY E ELLIS HEAD WIDOW Female 41 1860 MONTHLY NURSE BERMONDSEY, LONDON Image Transcription
SIDNEY ELLIS SON SINGLE Male 17 1884 CURRIER LEATHER DEPTFORD, LONDON Image Transcription
LILLIAN ELLIS DAUGHTER - Female 15 1886 IRONER GAS PECKHAM, LONDON Image Transcription
ERNEST ELLIS SON - Male 13 1888 ERRAND BOY PECKHAM, LONDON Image Transcription
LEONARD ELLIS SON - Male 9 1892 - PECKHAM, LONDON Image Transcription
BEATRICE ELLIS DAUGHTER - Female 6 1895 - PECKHAM, LONDON Image Transcription
EDITHA BUTHEBA VISITOR SINGLE Female 20 1881 SHIRT & C IRONER BROOLYN U S AMERICA SUBJ Image Transcription
ANNIE AUDRITT BOARDER SINGLE Female 20 1881 SHIRT & C IRONER WHITECHAPEL Image Transcription
Print individual transcription View image Individual transcription
First name(s) LEONARD
Last name ELLIS
Relationship to head SON
Marital condition -
Gender Male
Age 9
Birth year 1892
Occupation -
Birth town PECKHAM
Birth county LONDON
Birth place -
House number 36

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 27 May 2014 10:29

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1327646

(relating above)

Chris :)

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 27 May 2014 10:31

1911 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital condition Gender Age Birth year Birth place Occupation
EMILY ELIZA ELLIS HEAD WIDOW Female 51 1860 LONDON BERMONDSEY HOUSEKEEPER Image Transcription
ERNEST FRANK ELLIS SON SINGLE Male 23 1888 LONDON PECKHAM ELECTROTYPER AND STEREOTYPER Image Transcription
LEONARD WALTER ELLIS SON SINGLE Male 19 1892 LONDON PECKHAM LAW CLERK Image Transcription
BEATRICE EMILY ELLIS DAUGHTER SINGLE Female 16 1895 LONDON PECKHAM CORSET MAKER Image Transcription

As Emily lied about her age on the censuses.........perhaps whoever registered her death gave her age incorrectly

??????????????
First name(s) EMILY E
Last name ELLIS
Gender Female
Birth day -
Birth month -
Birth year 1859
Age 72
Death quarter 1
Death year 1931
District ROMFORD
District number -
County Essex
Country England
Volume 4A
Page 709

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 27 May 2014 10:32

Thanks Chris..................I'll leave this now

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 27 May 2014 13:14

Hello Paul and welcome to the Community boards.

Reggie, as Paul is a relatively new poster and obviously unused to how the boards work, I will send him a helpful message on how to find his replies.

jansmith

jansmith Report 27 May 2014 13:54

her marriage details note age given cert. image is online

Name:
Emily Eliza Gebbett
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1858
Spouse Name: Robert Ellis
Spouse Age: 22
Record Type: Marriage
Event Date: 1 Aug 1880
Parish: Bermondsey St Paul
Borough: Southwark
Father Name: Alfred Edward Gebbett
Spouse Father: Charles Ellis
Register Type: Parish Register

Mary

Mary Report 27 May 2014 15:46

So she died between 1929 (Photo) and your birth 1935,when you only had 1 grandad who then died 1936?

Maryb.

Paul

Paul Report 27 May 2014 16:56

I believe that the time of Emily Eliza's death was prior to my birth in December 1935. The family death in 1936 was my maternal grandfather Richard Bater. It was a comment from my late mother who once in formed me that other than Richard Bater all of my grandparents had died prior to my birth. I have persued the thought of Emily having remarried but believe that to be untrue as the photo I have of who I feel sure is her, shows my mother, my brother Derek, born 1929 and his nanny who I met some years later. I have spoken to my brother to ask if he recalls an elderly lady in the family but he can't really recall it.So the mystery continues, but I thank each of you for attempting to point me in the right direction.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 27 May 2014 17:09

No comment on the possible death posted earlier?

And you have 'marked as answered' which means that people will think your query is fully resolved.

Amanda,

Amanda, Report 27 May 2014 20:46

Hi Paul,

Do you have the Quarter Dates and area's of the Death Certs you have purchased so they can be ruled out?

Kind regards
Amanda

Paul

Paul Report 28 May 2014 09:21

Hi Amanda

Unfortunately the only death certificate re-Emily Eliza I still have a note of from the 1st Q 1906. Same name, close age connection, but other data on certificate assured me that she is/was not my grandmother.
The two or three others I had all proved to be somebody else so they were discarded.

Paul

Note to other contributors...I inadvertently clicked on 'answered - my mistake.