Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Guernsey b.m.d

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kazzie

Kazzie Report 26 May 2014 06:11

If any kind person has access to Guernsey bmds I am trying to find if an Irene Guilbert was born there around 1928 surname may vary but spelt like this on her marriage cert
Thanks

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 26 May 2014 09:26

Hi Kazzie

Guernsey bmd's are only available on Guernsey itself. I don't believe there is anyone on here that volunteers lookups.
You could try contacting the Priaulx library direct - http://www.priaulxlibrary.co.uk - they would make a charge.

Have you found her parents on the 1911 census?

Kazzie

Kazzie Report 26 May 2014 11:03

Ive only just found out that she was from Guernsey and only other info I have is that her mother was also called Irene maiden name possibly Bisson

Flip

Flip Report 26 May 2014 11:16

Did she name her father on her marriage, and which is her (if either) - there are 2 marriages in Dorset, both with a middle initial, one in 1962 another in 1973?

Kazzie

Kazzie Report 26 May 2014 11:20

The one im searching married my gr uncle in 1962 weymouth and im thinking maybe her mother married again in 1973 but no idea who she married first time around im going to order a copy of her marriage certificate tomorrow so hopefully shed some light on her

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 26 May 2014 11:25

That may be why I can't find her in 1911.

If she WAS a Bisson then you may find this interesting: http://www.theislandwiki.org/index.php/Bisson.

Flip

Flip Report 26 May 2014 11:31

According to a tree on ancestry, the one who married Claxton in 1962 was born around 1937, and died in 2010 - I know ancestry trees can be inaccurate, but that is rather a large age variation.

Edit, according to her obituary in the Dorset Echo, she was 82 when she died 25/11/2010 - so obviously those trees have it wrong.

Kazzie

Kazzie Report 26 May 2014 11:39

Yes my Irene died 2010 and from the newspaper cutting and her age made her born 1928 not 1937 also just been sent a photo of her wedding day and she was older when she married Everitt Claxton just waiting to see if the person has a name for her father

Flip

Flip Report 26 May 2014 11:55

Are you in contact with her husband and son who appear to be still living in Weymouth - maybe they could shed some light on where she came from.

The 1973 marriage would indicate that Irene D had been living with her husband and assumed his name as the marriage is registered under both names. No sign of either of them in the recent ERs and I can't see a death for either of them with any certainty to get an age.

Kazzie

Kazzie Report 26 May 2014 12:02

No they were a strange bunch another relative knocked her door once when doing research and had the door slammed in her face by Irene Maybe now Irene no longer with us suppose could get intouch by chance found a cousin of Irenes on facebook who then said they came from Guernsey and sent me the wedding photo the cousin now living in Australia so not seen had any contact for many years

Flip

Flip Report 26 May 2014 12:19

It's not really surprising to have the door slammed if someone just turns up out of the blue! Maybe Irene had something to hide, maybe she was illigitimate and ashamed of it? Who knows.

If you want to persue this you really need to get her marriage certificate, see if she named a father - and as you are ordering the 1973 certificate it may be worth you ordering this one as well.

Kazzie

Kazzie Report 26 May 2014 12:34

Just been told Irenes parents were John A Guilbert and Irene Bisson John died 1961 in Weymouth and gives his age as 59 they had 3 children Irene,Brenda and Johnny all must have been born Guernsey Irene remarried Charles Tawn in 1973 Weymouth damn wish there was a way of tracing John A Guilbert

Thelma

Thelma Report 26 May 2014 13:29

Channel Islands, Select Births and Baptisms, 1820-1907 about John Alfred Guilbert
Name: John Alfred Guilbert
Birth Date: 30 Nov 1901
Birth Place: Saint Pierre Port, Guernsey, Channel Islands
Father: Edward George Guilbert
Mother: Alice Angel Crews
FHL Film Number: 473986
Reference ID: 96

Thelma

Thelma Report 26 May 2014 13:31

1911 Channel Islands Census about John Guilbert
Name: John Guilbert
Age in 1911: 10