Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Weaver - Cotton Spinner

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Peter

Peter Report 17 May 2014 12:36

Hi there,

Found some sources which I THINK pertain to my ancestor. In two he is described as a cotton spinner (1827-1829) and another he is described as a weaver (1837).

This is with parishes in Glasgow, Scotland.

Could this be the same person, in light of the occupations? Are those terms interchangeable?

Thank you in advance,

Peter

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 17 May 2014 12:39

Not exactly interchangeable, but could both be in the cotton industry, and the info on the sources may not be totally accurate.

Are these sources marriage and death records - or maybe birth of his child? It would depend on how accurate the info known by the informant was - or he could have changed occupation in the interim.

Peter

Peter Report 17 May 2014 15:31

First two are baptisms (1827-1829) and the latter (1837) is a death for the chap.

Thank you ArgyllGran.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 17 May 2014 15:58

It does depend on the knowledge and informant has when they register a BMD

For instance when we went to post our banns at the register office for our marriage in the Catholic church i was asked fathers name .OK knew his full name ! occupation??? was stumped I knew he worked at the Woolwich Arsenal and at my birth was a shell turner but what did he do now??? no idea so he is shown as a general labourer on my marriage cert .

On going home later mum said he is a machine operator working on gun casings /Well I didnt know that !!

Peter

Peter Report 20 May 2014 16:46

Thanks for that Shirely - a really nice perspective into your own story which explains a lot.

Peter