Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Harrold, and Godfrey families of Borrisleigh,

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Avryll

Avryll Report 12 May 2014 13:03

I descend from both these families. Gt, Grandmother MARY GODFREY, who married Charles Meads, 1886, Borrisleigh. He was in 23rd Ft. (Royal Welch Fusiliers). Mary's parents were, Daniel Godfrey and Mary Harrold (may be harroll). siblings for Mary Godfrey were Daniel, Thomas, Margaret, Catherine, Ellen, Patrick and perhaps several others..... I believe the father of Daniel senior was also Daniel.
Wonder if there are other descendants out there or if anyone has any info. When checking ancestry.co.uk.........I find that documents are posted under Mary Godfrey which seem to indicate a different family, although the date of birth is correct, so rather confused at the moment.
Grateful for any help.....

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 12 May 2014 13:08

To find connections on here.........look in 'search all member trees'......under the 'search' button

What are you hoping to find out?

If you want help, we need to know birth years

What 'documents' on Ancestry do you refer to?

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 12 May 2014 13:09

Hello Avryll, have you searched trees on here to see if anyone else is researchinh the same people?

When you mention "documents" on Ancestry, are you referring to records found in searches or information on other people's trees? Perhaps if you gave an example we could help you straighten it out.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 12 May 2014 13:11

Also.........where is Borrisleigh?????

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 12 May 2014 13:14

Looks like..............it's IRELAND....Tipperary, to be precise

And is actually Borrisoleigh

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 12 May 2014 13:14

Could it be Borrisoleigh in Tipperary?

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 12 May 2014 13:16

1886 is the year of marriage, not anyone's birth year:

Ireland, Civil Registration Marriages Index, 1845-1958 about Charles Mead
Name: Charles Mead
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1886
Registration district: Thurles
Volume: 3
Page Number: 511
FHL Film Number: 101255

Records on Page:
Name
Michael Ryan
Charles Mead <<<
Johanna Gleeson
Margaret Bourke
Bridget Small
Matthew Stapleton
Mary Godfrey <<<

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 12 May 2014 13:16

Try looking at..............

https://familysearch.org/search

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 12 May 2014 13:18

Name: Patrick Godfrey
Christening Date:
Christening Place:
Birth Date: 18 Mar 1879
Birthplace: Bonisoleigh, Tipperary, Ireland
Death Date:
Name Note: True copy entry 28 Jul 1880
Race:
Father's Name: Daniel Godfrey
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:
Mother's Name: Mary Harrold Godfrey
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C00594-4

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 12 May 2014 14:59

Name: Thomas Godfrey

Birth Date: 08 Jan 1869
Birthplace: Tipperary, Ireland

Mother's Name: Mary Harrold

Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C01204-3
System Origin: Ireland-ODM
GS Film number: 101182
Reference ID:

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 12 May 2014 15:02

Name: Mary Godferry

Birth Date: 17 Mar 1866
Birthplace: 0804,CAPPAGH DISTRICT,TIPPERARY,IRELAND

Father's Name: Daniel Godferry

Mother's Name: Mary Harrell
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: Catherine

Christening Place: 668, BORRISOLEIGH, TIPP, IRE
Birth Date: 26 Mar 1874
Birthplace: Borrisoleigh, Tipp, Ire

Mother's Name: Mary Harrold

PLUS others..........................

Avryll

Avryll Report 15 May 2014 22:39

Sorrry not been back onsite...sudden family bereavement.
When I searched on Ancestry for Mary Godfrey 1866, up popped a public Member 'photo or scanned document' for Mary, which was a birth cert, oh and also a photograph of her. But the remaining details which this member gives(about her Gt. Grandmother Mary Godfrey) does not seem to match the confirmed ancestry of my Meads mother, Rosalind. That is quite confusing, so I hoped that GR would help confirm the ancestry which I already have.

Of course I went through the trees, which I have been doing since being a GR member in 2005, but there are very few GR members with Mary Godfrey 1866 in their trees, and the one GR member I did contact has not responded, even though it is a dead cert he is related to me.

i really appreciate the details you have researched, only in the last few years have good Irish Family history sites become available to us here in NZ, and for a few years earthquakes have rather overtaken our spare time (house repairs etc).
Might just have to go to Borrisleigh. both Mary and Charles Meads died in Reading, just along the road from me in Maidenhead, and due to family circumstances there was no contact with their Meads descendants. Thank you for your help.
Avryll

Avryll

Avryll Report 15 May 2014 22:50

Oh I forgot to mention, there was a Meads birth in Borrisleigh in 1886.......older brother to my grandfather..........Charles Meads (Mead) born Borrisleigh 1886, just a few months after the marriage in 1886 of Charles and Mary Godfrey. Have just checked out Mary Harrold and only one member has her in his tree and he never replied.....so seems to be a dead end on this website. As said before, will need to make the long trip to Borrisleigh.
Thanks Avryll