Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Wondering if I am on the right track?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date
Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 11 Apr 2014 13:53

I have an Edith Rutherford who Married an Alexander Smith in 1915, on that marriage certificate she gives her parents as John Rutherford and Annie McGill, she later married a William Wotherspoon in 1927 but on that marriage certificate she gives her parents as John Rutherford and Janet McGill, likewise her death certificate and birth certificate give the mothers name as Annie :-S

I have found a birth certificate for an Edith Rutherford which gives the parents as John Rutherford and Annie McGill and that she was born on 13/05/1895 in Falkirk. I think this is her on the 1901 Census below and I am wondering (because the only time the name of her mother is given as Janet is on her marriage certificate to William Wotherspoon) if anyone would advise me if I am on the right track:-

1901 Scotland Census

JOHN RUTHERFORD HEAD 38 1863 LINLITHGOW
ANNIE RUTHERFORD WIFE 38 1863 BOTHWELL

1 JAMES RUTHERFORD SON 15 1886 BOTHWELL
2 CATHERINE RUTHERFORD DAU 12 1889 FALKIRK
3 ANNIE RUTHERFORD DAU 8 1893 LONGRIGGEND

4 EDITH RUTHERFORD DAU 6 1895 FALKIRK<<<<

5 JEANIE RUTHERFORD DAU 4 1897 FALKIRK
6 JOHN RUTHERFORD SON 2 1899 FALKIRK

Thanks - Jim

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 11 Apr 2014 15:00

This is the only marriage on ScotlandsPeople between 1860 and 1886, between a John Rutherford and any McGill (or spelling variation):

1885 RUTHERFORD JOHN MCGILL ANNIE OLD MONKLAND (WESTERN DISTRICT) /LANARK 652/01 0065

I would say the mention of Janet on the Wotherspoon marriage cert is a mistake.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 11 Apr 2014 15:23

????
This is the only Ann or Annie McGill or Macgill born Bothwell 1860-66

1860 MCGILL ANN F BOTHWELL /LANARK 625/01 0068

There are no births registered Bothwell 1860-66 for a Janet McGill or Macgill.

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 11 Apr 2014 15:33

Thanks ArgyllGran - I have now downloaded all the relevant birth, marriage, and death certificates from Scotlands People and as you said, the use of the name Janet when she married William, appears to be a mistake.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this for me.

Jim <3

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 13 Apr 2014 15:24

I managed to make contact on here with someone who has the same Edith Rutherford on their tree as I have on mine.

Turns out I was on the right track and as a result I managed to add three new branches and a quite a few more individuals to my tree.

Thanks again ArgyllGran for your input - much appreciated <3

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 13 Apr 2014 21:41

You're welcome, Jim.

It's nice when a query is so speedily resolved!