Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Unusal birth address

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Peter

Peter Report 3 Apr 2014 14:31

Just received a birth certificate in the post for July 1867 and the place of birth is:

Hale Huts Midland Railway, Hendon

What kind of a place is that?

The father's job was 'Railway Labourer'.

Workers accommodation?

Thanks in advance.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 Apr 2014 14:40

Try googling for the name

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 Apr 2014 14:42

this may help
http://www.barnet.gov.uk/info/940045/edgware_and_burnt_oak/745/edgware_and_burnt_oak/7

Peter

Peter Report 3 Apr 2014 14:45

Thank you Shirely. Yeah I got that. I do usually google or do my own search before coming on here but unless I am missing something in that link, there isn't really a definitive answer to the question.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 3 Apr 2014 15:12

As dad was a 'Railway Labourer' then it's a possibility that Hale Huts was temporary accommodation for him and his family whilst he was building the railway, The work force had to live somewhere and temporary huts were used for accommadation for the railway workers and their families,

It was expected that the railway hut would be shared with other workers and a wife would do cooking and washing for single men housed in the shared accommadation

From the link posted by Shirley

In the 1860s the Midland Railway built a line, which cut through the district north south, and the Edgware, Highgate, and London Line (later part of the GNR) built one east to west. But as the Hale was only a small hamlet, there did not seem any reason to open a station

As you can see this fits in with the building of the railway in the 1860's

Roy

Peter

Peter Report 3 Apr 2014 15:41

Thank you Roy - wow, sounds like the women got the brunt end of the stick!

Out of interest, is the Hale anything to do with Tottenham Hale? I often pass through there.

Thanks for the extra tidbits.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 3 Apr 2014 16:06

I doubt it,

The address is Hale Huts Midland Railway, >>>>>>>Hendon<<<<<<<

Roy

Peter

Peter Report 3 Apr 2014 16:08

That shows my ignorance of London boroughs. HA!

Would Hendon be considered London back in 1867? The word London isn't mentioned on the certificate.

Peter

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 3 Apr 2014 16:28

All London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906 (Ancestry)
Hendon St Mary Barnet

(some Hendon on above, if you want to give a name)

Chris :)

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 3 Apr 2014 16:36

If you look at a modern map then The railway line runs along the M1 motorway going through Hendon heading north then just to the north of Mill Hill Broadway station their is a road named Hale Lane and a Hale grove gardens,

Try searching old OS maps for the area between Hendon and Edgware to see if Hale huts are listed

Roy

Peter

Peter Report 3 Apr 2014 18:19

Thank you Chris, but i am ok thank you. And thank you also Roy ... in the later census returns, the birthplace was recorded as Mill Hill. Hmmmm getting close!

Peter