Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Missing location details - 1901 Census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 28 Mar 2014 18:14

I have located the census details for ancestors living in Bermondsey, Southwark, SE London, but no street or road name is included on the original form or transcript only what looks like 'Worthing Buildings'. How do I pinpoint more closely where that would have been?

The following details are shown on the transcript but am unable to identify its location without being able to place it in context of any road name.

Parish: Bermondsey; the Ecclesiastical District : 'St Mary Magdalen'; Enumeration District: 12; Municipal Ward: No 3 Bermondsey; Parliamentary Borough: Bermondsey Southwark; Registration District: St Olave Southwark; Archive Reference: RG13; Folio: 104; Page 35.

Can anyone help please?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 28 Mar 2014 18:23

According to this, Worthing Buildings were in Webb Street. You can see a map by clicking on the link in message 1, from crosby34:

http://bermondseyboy.lefora.com/sreply/16178767/Photos-of-Bermondsey-Buildings

http://bermondseyboy.lefora.com/reply/16178767/Photos-of-Bermondsey-Buildings#reply-16178767

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 28 Mar 2014 19:14

Is this the same place 1911?

1911 England Census
Name: Eliza Absolem
Age in 1911: 56
Estimated birth year: abt 1855
Birth Place: Minster
Civil Parish: Bermondsey
County/Island: London
Street address: 11 Worthing Buildings, Tower Bridge Road, Bermondsey SE
Marital Status: Single
Registration district: St Olave (Bermondsey)
Registration District Number: 24
Sub-registration district: Bermondsey

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 28 Mar 2014 19:16

A bit of both!!

1911 England Census about Charles William Smyth
Name: Charles William Smyth
Age in 1911: 13
Estimated birth year: abt 1898
Relation to Head: Son
Birth Place: Southwark, London, England
Civil Parish: Bermondsey
County/Island: London
Street address: 5 Worthing Buildings, Webb St, Tower Bridge Road, Bermondsey SE
Registration district: St Olave (Bermondsey)
Registration District Number: 24
Sub-registration district: Bermondsey

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 28 Mar 2014 22:17

Look at the ED description.................

mgnv

mgnv Report 29 Mar 2014 05:07

NB The census ref you gave, viz
Archive Reference: RG13; Folio: 104; Page 35
is incomplete. The full ref is:
Archive Reference: RG13; Piece Number 389; Folio: 104; Page 35
(1851-1901 always have these 4 elements - 1841 has a book before the folio as well.)

The normal way I use to tackle problems like yours is to page back thru the images until I get a location that appears on a modern map, and similarly page forward.

Here we'll take the Webb Street that other posts have given and look it up on http://www.streetmap.co.uk/
This takes me to an URL and embedded in the URL are the OS coordinates of the arrowhead, viz:
x=533243&y=179163 (more usually written as 533243,179163 )
These actually measure the easting and northing in metres from the zero datum point, which is located abt 80km W of Bishop's Rock lighthouse in the Isles of Scilly.

Now go to http://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html and enter the coordinates, and select a map.
I find scale of 1:2500 or larger scale is best.
Here, there's a 1912 plan with scale of 1:1056.
Webb St is in the centre of the map. and at the W end of the street, on the N side, one finds Worthing Bldgs.

Gee

Gee Report 29 Mar 2014 06:57

London, England, Electoral Registers, 1832-1965

Name:May Holt

Year:1936

County or Borough:Southwark

Ward or Division/Constituency:Bermondsey

Street address:

31 U4 Worthing Buildings <<<<listed as Webb Street

This is just off Tower Bridge Road

John

John Report 29 Mar 2014 19:04

Thank you to all those who responded to my wish to find Worthing Buildings in Bermondsey. I am unlikely to have found the location in Webb Street without your help. Because of the reference to the registration district being St Olave, Southwark, I would have forever not been looking in quite the right place.
:-)

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 30 Mar 2014 11:52

If you get a modern A-Z Webb Streeti SE1 still exists. It is not a very big street and you need a magnifying glass to see it. But is is there.

It is off the part of Tower Bridge Road farthest from Tower Bridge and on the opposite site of the road is Rothsay Street.

In the 1900's and up to WW2 it was actually the continuation of Willow Walk.

Hope this helps a little more. :-D