Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Find My Past Newspaper Look-up - Robert Woods

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Peter

Peter Report 26 Mar 2014 20:18

Hi there,

I have received the death certificate of my ggg granddad Robert Woods, who died on this day (March 26th) in 1909 in the Workhouse at Chester-le-Street, County Durham.

Robert was at the time of his death: 'A Coal Miner of Washington RD', and his death, registered by the workhouse master is recorded as WOOD.

I have Robert in the 1901 in Chester-le-Street Workshouse and living in Esh, County Durham in 1881 ... can he spotted in the 1891 census?

And can any relevent newspaper articles from Chester-le-Street be found for him?

I already have Robert's information BEFORE 1871. Thank you.

Peter

PS He was born in Ireland c. 1830.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 26 Mar 2014 20:20

Peter, what do you think would have occasioned him to be in the newspapers?

There are over 1,000 hits for men called Robert Woods on North East newspapers between the period 1850 to 1909.

Peter

Peter Report 26 Mar 2014 20:26

Ah thank you Marie Celeste.

Basically his son was quite violent, and I was wondering if Robert might have been in trouble for something similar but I never thought of there being such a huge volume of material.

I shall save this one for another time when I can look myself.

Thanks!

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 26 Mar 2014 20:54

Genealogy is a fascinating hobby and thanks to the records at findmypast.co.uk, it's incredibly easy to get started.

To subscribe....

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/

Catherine

Catherine Report 26 Mar 2014 21:18

Possible he was working in Scotland in 1891?

1891 Scotland Census about Robert Woods
Name: Robert Woods
Estimated birth year: abt 1832
Relationship: Head
Where born: Ireland
Registration Number: 599
Registration district: Kilwinning
Civil Parish: Kilwinning
County: Ayrshire
Address: No 11 Brick Row
ED: 2
Household schedule number: 12
LINE: 25
Roll: CSSCT1891_209
Household Members:
Name Age
Robert Woods 59

Catherine

Catherine Report 26 Mar 2014 21:23

Just for info, is this him in 1871 and 1861?

1871 England Census about Robert Woods
Name: Robert Woods
Estimated birth year: abt 1831
Relation: Head
Civil Parish: Sunderland
Ecclesiastical parish: Trinity
Town: Sunderland
County/Island: Durham
Registration district: Sunderland
Sub-registration district: West Sunderland
ED, institution, or vessel: 2
Household schedule number: 19
Piece: 5016
Folio: 45
Page Number: 5
Household Members:
Name Age
Robert Woods 40
John Woods 17
May Ann Woods 15

1861 England Census about Robert Wood
Name: Robert Wood
Estimated birth year: 1829
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Roberta Wood
Civil Parish: Normanby
County/Island: Yorkshire
Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

View image
Registration district: Guisbrough
Sub-registration district: Kirk Leatham
ED, institution, or vessel: 9
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 173
Piece: 3654
Folio: 66
Page Number: 42
Household Members:
Name Age
Robert Wood 32
Roberta Wood 30
John Wood 8 born: Ireland
Mary Ann Wood 7 born: Stockton
Robert Wood 4
James Wood 2
Olna Wood 2/12

Peter

Peter Report 26 Mar 2014 23:03

Thank you Prickly Holly but I am already on ancestry and don't want and can't afford too many subscriptions.

Also, thank you Catharine! Never thought of that for the 1891. Can you post who else he is living with?

And thank you, yeah that is him in 1861/1871 but that is on another thread, that pertains to his family but not to him or this request. Thank you for putting this in a context though, especially as your findings here seem to correlate to my own which is satisfying.

As I say, I found Robert in the 1881 in Esh, County Durham and in 1901 in Chester le Street ... as Robert WOOD not WOODS. Could someone post those entries here? Maybe as I am tired, but I can't find them online at the moment!

Thank you,

Peter

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 26 Mar 2014 23:17

Peter, as has previously been intimated, if there's an existing thread then please add to that one so we have the benefit of the background information. You are well aware of the board guidelines about sticking to one thread per family.

jax

jax Report 26 Mar 2014 23:20

If you have Ancestry can you not look up those census's yourself?

Catherine

Catherine Report 27 Mar 2014 17:10

Peter,
The Robert Woods from 1891 Scotland census seems to be living on his own. There are no other names listed with him and when you do an address search no one else seems to come up.
Catherine

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 27 Mar 2014 19:50

Exactly Jax!!

Peter

Peter Report 27 Mar 2014 20:50

Because I can't find them - is that ok?

And as I have said previously, people generally don't respond to the older posts when they are updated, which is from my own experience.

Peter

Peter Report 27 Mar 2014 20:51

Also thank you Catherine. Much appreciated.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 27 Mar 2014 21:21

And as we have said previously Peter - they DO respond!

As we are the people providing the help, and you are the person asking for it, then far better to do it our way.

jax

jax Report 27 Mar 2014 21:25

So when you search for Robert Woods 1832 on the 1891 Scottish census you cannot find what Catherine found??

Odd as it was the 1st one that came up for me

Peter

Peter Report 28 Mar 2014 17:12

Come on - there are far greater things going on in the world. I'm not willing to discuss it further.

Peter

Peter Report 28 Mar 2014 17:27

Also Jax your passive aggressive tone isn't appreciated or necessary ... I never looked for that chap on the Scottish census or with the very specific criteria you mention. Does that clarify any concerns you may have? If not, PM me, so as not to antagonize publicly here.

And with that, I'm content in that I am not behaving inappropriately at all in my posts here - if YOU believe otherwise, the 'you' pertaining to whoever finds contempt in my posts, then please report it through whatever official channel you deem necessary.

Until then, please help or don't respond. It seems fairly simple to me.

I am ALWAYS extremely grateful for all of the help I receive on here, and any post placed here is done so for specific personal research reasons.

Now, as I say, there are bigger, more terrible things going on in the world, so I personally, will not be engaging in such discussions/justifying myself any more.