Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Census records.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Mar 2014 15:15

Hi,
I have started searching my grandad's records, & have found him & all his siblings on the 1911 census. As I cannot yet access the 1921 census, I don't know where to go next. I would like to find out what has happened to his siblings, whether they married, had families, etc. Any advice is welcome.
Thanks. :-)

Maddie

Maddie Report 6 Mar 2014 15:22

births, marriages and deaths can be found on this free site

FreeBMD Home Page
www.freebmd.org.uk/

Derek

Derek Report 6 Mar 2014 15:26

If you want to come forward from 1911..you will find that BMD's could bring you up to 2005..depending what areas you are searching. These are Civil Registrationsof Births, Marriages and Deaths...............not to be confused with Baptisms.Weddings and Burials..which give exact dates and are to be found in Parish Records.
BMD,s start in 1837 and only give the Quarter of the Year in which events happened.

If you have details on the 1911 Census..then you should be able to go back reasonably easily through the earlier censuses to 1841......

If you want to go back beyond 1837 then you're in the hands of original Parish records.

If you give names and approximate dates and places to us..thereare a lot of us who actually have, or have access to, original records of all types............and we are more than willing to help.

Just ask.

Derek.

Catherine

Catherine Report 6 Mar 2014 15:26

What may help you is to find the birth records for all the children to see if any of them had middle names (this always helps if they have a common surname).
Exact birth dates may also help to find a death record.

If you find possible marriages (from freebmd) but are not sure if they are correct, unfortunately the only way to make sure that they belong to the person you are looking for is buy the certificate to check ages and father's name and occupation. Certificates can be bought from GRO (general registry office) and cost £9.25 each.
The following link will take you directly to the page you need.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp

You can also buy birth and death certificates here too.

Good luck with your research and don't hesitate to come back if you need a kick start. The best way to do this is to post the 1911 census in question so we can see all the names and ages and places of birth.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 6 Mar 2014 15:32

freebmd only has info up to around 1955/60

For later records, you need a site such as Ancestry or FMP

.....or ask for help on here

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 7 Mar 2014 13:58

Hello Verity and welcome to the Community Boards.

Note: I will let Verity know that she has replies to her query. :-)

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Mar 2014 23:04

Hi all,
Thank you for all your messages - I shall have a look at the free BMD site for starters ;-)

Verity.