Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

New to this!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lubeelu

Lubeelu Report 6 Mar 2014 13:44

Hi am new to this site and hobby - I have built my tree on Genes Reunited but have also accessed another couple of sites. Is the best way to go about it to put trees on all sites or just use one main site and research the others? Any tips would be gratefully received!! Many thanks Anita

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 6 Mar 2014 14:04

Put your trees where you like.......the choice is entirely yours.

What are you hoping to learn?

How much research have you done?

If you want to link with others researching the same people, it is more likely to happen on GR than on other sites

Potty

Potty Report 6 Mar 2014 14:09

Agree with Reggie but remember, the more trees you have the more updating you will have to do! Probably best to keep one tree as your main tree on which you do all your updating, recording sources, etc and other(s) fairly basic.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 6 Mar 2014 15:04

I keep my main tree on my PC backed up on disc

I can then update any trees from their, A simple upload to what ever sites i like without constantly having to update individualy is all that is required

Be aware that this is done using a Gedcom file which can be problematic when uploading to verious sites as some data will not transfer and errors in different sites may add/duplicate entries

Roy

jax

jax Report 6 Mar 2014 15:43

I started on here and only got up to 50+ people when I got fed up with the format, so my tree is on another site now... but private

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 6 Mar 2014 23:02

I disagree that more contacts are generated on GR - I get way more on the other main site.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 7 Mar 2014 14:01

Hello Lubeelu and welcome to the Community boards.

Note: I will let Lubeelu know that she has replies to her query. :-)

Lubeelu

Lubeelu Report 10 Mar 2014 14:36

Many thanks for all your comments - seems everyone does things in different ways and I must find out what is going to work best for me! :-)

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 10 Mar 2014 22:26

Happy researching Lubeelu.

Prickles, :-)