Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Seeking Marriage Details

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mark

Mark Report 4 Mar 2014 15:38

I have used freebmd and lancs bmd and ancestry to try and find a first name for a lady married in 1967. if anyone believes they may be able to assist i will gladly send a pm.

Thanks

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 4 Mar 2014 15:45

FreeBMD may not have reached 1967 for the area you are searching. Ancestry have more recent marriages if you wish to PM

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 4 Mar 2014 15:48

On freebmd's did you click on the page number?

If you did and the spouse was not listed then freebmd's havent transcribed it yet

You can search freebmd's for records that have NOT yet been transcribed

Use this link and follow the intructions on how to search the Index images

http://images.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/choose.pl

They have scanned images available to view upto 1983

Roy

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Mar 2014 15:52

Are you certain that the marriage took place?

As you have searched on Ancestry, and there is no record, you may have to re-think

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 4 Mar 2014 16:31

Sent by PM. Marriage is on Ancestry

Mark

Mark Report 4 Mar 2014 16:37

Thank you for your help. However all i know from this marriage is that the groom married A person by the name of Leaver no first name as the link i have tried is not working

I have used the page number and volume no. i believe i have cracked the identity of the couple using a match up ....

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 4 Mar 2014 16:42

Mark, have sent the Bride's entry. Think her page number is the correct one.

Mark

Mark Report 4 Mar 2014 16:44

As i am at the library i have to sign off now but shall be back tomorrow at some point , many thanks

mgnv

mgnv Report 5 Mar 2014 00:34

Lets look at this example:

Marriages Jun 1920 (>99%)
Craddock Isabel Haslam Bolton 8c 1334
Haslam Tom Craddock Bolton 8c 1334
Higson James A Morris Bolton 8c 1334

Morris Mary A Wigson Bolton 8c 1534
[image says Higson, p=1334 - correct'n subm'd to FreeBMD]

HIGSON James A MORRIS Mary A Bolton Register Office or Registrar Attended Bolton RO/196/44
HASLAM Tom CRADDOCK Isabel Bolton Register Office or Registrar Attended Bolton RO/196/45

Suppose I'm looking for the marr of James A higson prob in Bolton abt 1920.
Go to Ancestry's 1916-2005 GRO index:
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=8753
Enter James Higson 1920+/-5 in Lancashire
16 hits, but only 1 James A so click on his shopping basket.
Ancestry will order the m.cert for me if I want (but the cost to me is more than double ordering it myself).
They display the form they will use to place the order for you - it shows no names, so you're left to fill in a name, but it shows the other details.
So close the order form window and search again, this time with RD=Bolton vol=8c page=1334 date= Jun 1920, spouse=Higson, and up pops Mary A Morris, like it should.
[If I leave off the spouse name, I should get 4 hits, but only get 3 here - Tom Haslam's vol is mistranscribed as 8e]

The missing info on deaths is age or dob - but I can repeatedly search until I discover this.
The missing info on births is mum's maiden surname - unless the birth is illegitimate, this is rarely guessable.

If a BMD is pre-1984, so the GRO index comes in printed form, then you can take the view images link off FreeBMD's home page - that's the URL Roy gave above. It's a klunky interface, but it works eventually, and it's free.

FreeBMD has 2 incomplete quarters in 1967, as you can see from the %-age transcribed figure:
Marriages Mar 1967 (3%) ****************
Marriages Jun 1967 (3%) ****************
Marriages Sep 1967 (>99%)
Marriages Dec 1967 (>99%)

FreeBMD has completed abt half the quarters in the 1960s for Bs & Ms and all but 5 for Ds - there's nothing completed post-1970, and a handful of earlier quarters incomplete:

Births Sep 1940 (3%) **************
Births Sep 1943 (93%) ***
Births Dec 1943 (1%) **************
Births Sep 1958 (98%) *
Births Dec 1958 (0%) **************
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages Sep 1952 (81%) *******************
Marriages Dec 1952 (0%) *******************