Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The Best Family of Corfe Mullen

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Stephen

Stephen Report 1 Feb 2014 05:49

Is anyone else researching the family of Benjamin Best (1776) and Ann Bartlett (1764) who had as least 9 children in the Corfe Mullen area in Dorset.

Joshua (1804) - my great great great grandfather
Benjamin (1805)
George (1807)
Charles (24/10/1808)
Emmanuel (6/12/1810)
John (7/12/1812)
Luke (10/2/1815)
Tabitha (18/10/1818 - 1820)
Henry (1823)

I am particularly keen on anyone who has traced the family further back.

Thanks

Stephen

patchem

patchem Report 1 Feb 2014 07:37

If you want to see if anyone is tracing this family, then use the Search/Search All Member Trees tab (top right) to see who has any of your family in their trees.

You can then try to contact them by clicking on their names and sending them a message.

Not many people read these boards so it is better for you to go out and look for them, not wait for them to come to you.

Added:
Just tried it and 6 other people have Joshua, and about a dozen have Benjamin.

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 1 Feb 2014 07:38

Doesn't go further back, but good for the census and later records:

http://www.opcdorset.org/CorfeMullenFiles/CorfeMullen.htm

Flip

Flip Report 1 Feb 2014 08:05

?? - I think you may have the wrong birth date for Ann - otherwise she was rather old to be having children in 1823 - she was born around 1774 according to 1851 census. This may be Benjamin

Benjamin Best
Christening Date:21 Jul 1776
Christening Place:Durweston, Dorset, England
Father's Name:William Best
Mother's Name:Martha

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 1 Feb 2014 08:51

Marriage (Find My Past)
Day:5
Month:Apr
Year:1803
Groom Forenames:Benjamin
Groom Surname:Best
Groom notes:
Grooms parish:
Bride Forenames:Ann
Bride Surname:Bartlet
Bride notes:
Brides parish:
By licence:
Place:Corfe Mullen
Dedication:St Hubert
County:Dorset
Witnesses:Thomas WHITE & William BARTLETT
Record source:Dorset Marriages

Baptism
Day:11
Month:Mar
Year:1804
Forenames:Joshua
Surname:BEST
Parents names:son of Benjamin & Ann
Place:Corfe Mullen

Chris :)

Stephen

Stephen Report 1 Feb 2014 09:08

You are correct I mistyped Ann's birth year in my message it should have been 1774.

I'd seen that christening record for a Benjamin Best in Durweston, Dorset, but he is always referenced as being born in Lytchett, Dorset (1851 & 1861 Census) so Durweston seems to be a bit far away.

Flip

Flip Report 1 Feb 2014 09:55

i wouldn't completely rule it out - they are only 15 miles apart - and he may not have known birth place. If the family moved to Lytchett & he was brought up there he may have assumed that was pob.

Flip

Flip Report 1 Feb 2014 10:08

There is a tree on ancestry (which you could access via mundia.com if you don't subscrribe to ancestry) which has Benjamin as the son of William Best (1737-1816) and Martha Coffen (1734-1814).

Tree owner is a descendant of Charles Atwell Best (1811-1874), so how much of it is correct is anyones guess.

Stephen

Stephen Report 3 Feb 2014 19:34

I did some further research and I can see that there are quite a few trees around which matches that Durweston baptism record to the Benjamin Best in my tree and has him as the some of William Best and Martha Coffen.

However, find my past has this burial record:

Forenames:Benjamin
Surname:BEST
Day:24
Month:Aug
Year:1815
Place:Durweston

Age 39 in 1815 would match a birth year of 1776, which I think is most likely to be the Benjamin Best to match the baptism record from 1776 in Durweston.