Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WADE FAMILY INFO - SOUTH AFRICA

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dawn

Dawn Report 31 Jan 2014 14:09

Hi, I am new to this and would like to find out more info on the Wade family from the Eastern Cape / Ciskei, South Africa area.
Father: Harry Reginald Wade (1879-1948) place of death, married Florence Spalding (1879-1946) Date of marriage 16 Jan 1906.
Siblings: Charlotte Wade born 1907, Rupert Wade born 1909, Bertram Wade born 1913, Irene Wade born 1915, Florence Wade born 1917.

Can you please assist or guide me as to where I should start my research.

Thanks Dawn

Catherine

Catherine Report 31 Jan 2014 14:56

Are you looking for ancestors or decendants please?

Catherine

Catherine Report 31 Jan 2014 14:58

Could this be his birth?

England & Wales, FreeBMD Birth Index, 1837-1915 about Harry Reginald Wade
Name: Harry Reginald Wade
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1877
Registration District: Clifton
Inferred County: Gloucestershire
Volume: 6a
Page: 85

England, Select Births and Christenings, 1538-1975 about Harry Reginald Wade
Name: Harry Reginald Wade
Baptism Date: 22 May 1877
Baptism Place: Bristol, Gloucester, England
Father: Thomas Falkingham Wade
Mother: Wilhemina Eliza
FHL Film Number: 1596484
Reference ID: item 8 p 72

Just in case:-

1881 England Census about Thomas F. Wade
Name: Thomas F. Wade
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1826
Relationship to Head: Lodger (Head) (Lodger)
Where born: Lugwardine, Hereford, England
Civil Parish: Bristol St James and St Paul Out
County/Island: Gloucestershire
Street Address: 10 Gay St
Marital status: Widow

Registration District: Barton Regis
Sub-registration District: Ashley
ED, institution, or vessel: 2
Neighbors: View others on page
Piece: 2484
Folio: 37
Page Number: 25
Household Members:
Name Age
Jane H. Haw 73
Mary J. Haw 33
Frank Neale 18
Louisa Higgins 50

Thomas F. Wade 55
Harry R. Wade 4

Catherine

Catherine Report 31 Jan 2014 15:09

For England and Welsh bmd from 1837 you can try freebmd.org.uk
For parish records you can try familysearch.org or freereg.org.uk

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 31 Jan 2014 15:09

Put 'South Africa' in your title.............to avoid any possible confusion

And give birthplace info for the people named.

It would also be helpful if you said what you are actually hoping to find out..............

Catherine

Catherine Report 31 Jan 2014 15:40

There's a Mr.H.Wade leaving England for Cape in 1903, could this be him?

UK, Outward Passenger Lists, 1890-1960 about Mr H Wade
Name: Mr H Wade
Birth Date: abt 1879
Departure Date: 10 Oct 1903
Port of Departure: Southampton, England
Destination Port: Cape
Ship Name: Walmer Castle
Search Ship Database: Search the 'Walmer Castle' in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Shipping Line: The Union-Castle Mail Steamship Co, Ltd
Master: I J Bremner

This one is noted as being a Chemist.

You know the date of their marriage so you should know where they married. If you buy the certificate, then that will give you information on father's name and occupation which will help find or confirm any information found on his ancestors.

If you are looking for ancestors, then it will be relatively easy to help you find out more, but we will need to know the info on marriage certificate please.

Dea

Dea Report 31 Jan 2014 15:50

Hi there Dawn and welcome to the boards.

NOT a critisism here but just for future reference - you have:

Harold Wade b 1879 marrying Florence Spalding b 1879. - Marriage 1906.

Then you list Harold 'siblings as Charlotte b 1907, Rupert b 1909 etc.

'Siblings' would mean that they are brothers and sisters of Harold when they are obviously his children !

Useful to know when you are starting out as stating the wrong relationships does confuse matters when you are asking for assistance.

Dea Xxx

Dawn

Dawn Report 31 Jan 2014 19:18

Thanks to all for the info. Ì will look into the info you have posted.

The info that was passed onto me is for my ancestors on the Wade side but was also given a tree to the King family which links up somewhere along the way. I need to find the relatives in between to match up the trees. All info is written info, so not sure if all is correct. I am looking for the ancestors of Harry Reginald Wade.
There is a note that he was born in Karachee India, so I gather he must have sailed to South Africa....would I find this info on passenger lists without knowing what year and the ship name?

Thanks Dea for your note, I will check the dates and info the dates ans siblings.

Dawn

Dawn Report 31 Jan 2014 19:53

I realise my mistake pointed out by Dea, thanks.

Charlotte, Rupert, Bertram, Irene, and florence are children (not siblings) . Sorry if this was a confusion.

I have found more info (but no reference). Harry and Florence were married at St Phillips Church, Xabane, SA. This info was taken from the cover of a family Bible and from tombstones in various cemetaries but the cemetaries are not documented.

It is believed the offices containing the records of births etc was burned down and lost.

Is there a way of tracing cemetary records online?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 31 Jan 2014 22:38

No record of his being born in India

How did you work back to this man?

And you haven't yet added the geographical info to your title ......................

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 31 Jan 2014 23:27

Hello Dawn, I know you've been advised to add "South Africa" to your title - here's how to do it - go to your first post on this thread and click on "Edit". You then have the option to amend your post or the title of the thread - go to the title and add South Africa to the end of it.

Meanwhile, I've had a look on NASA which is the National Archives of South Africa (it is not a user friendly site). However, I found this record:

Document 1 of 8
DEPOT KAB
SOURCE 1/TSO
TYPE LEERS
VOLUME_NO 51
SYSTEM 06
REFERENCE 19/1/2/3/48
PART 1
DESCRIPTION ESTATES. EUROPEAN ESTATES. WADE, REGINALD HENRY. WADE, FLORENCE AMELIA.
STARTING 1948
ENDING 1954

It seems to be the papers following the death of Reginald Henry Wade - there could be some useful info if you're able to order a copy.

These are the contact details for enquiries:

National Archives Repository

The Head
Postal address: Private Bag X236, PRETORIA 0001
Street address: 24 Hamilton Street, Arcadia, PRETORIA
Tel: (012) 441 3200. Fax: (012) 323 5287
Fax to e-mail: 086 529 6414
E-mail: [email protected]

Website: http://www.national.archsrch.gov.za/sm300cv/smws/sm300gi?20140201012709666B3E63%26DB%3DRSAE

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 31 Jan 2014 23:29

There's also this record:

DEPOT KAB
SOURCE MOOC
TYPE LEER
VOLUME_NO 6/9/15539
SYSTEM 01
REFERENCE 6002/48
PART 1
DESCRIPTION WADE, HENRY REGINALD. ESTATE PAPERS.
STARTING 19480000
ENDING 19480000

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 1 Feb 2014 08:10

MC...that first record...DESCRIPTION ESTATES. EUROPEAN ESTATES. WADE, REGINALD HENRY. WADE, FLORENCE AMELIA.

suggests he was not South African after all...that he was European (which fits with everything posted)

Jude

Dawn

Dawn Report 1 Feb 2014 08:40

Reggie, all my info is from a typed family tree passed onto me, there is no reference as to where this info came from. I have only updated the tree with the info I was given, so trying to work from there on. Thanks for the info on the birth - India. There is a note that this information was found on the cover of a old family bible, hence the birth info of India. The marriage certificates etc were apparently burned in the offices containing the records, this is why I am trying the birth option. I may have a better chance with trying to find out more info on Florence Amelia Spaldings side...I will look into that.

MarieCeleste,I have also looked into the NASA records and found these documents. I phoned the Port Elizabeth branch but they do not handle this type of documentation, I will need to contact the Cape Town offices. I have sent them an email, hoping to hear from them soon. Thank you for your help.

Dawn

Dawn Report 1 Feb 2014 09:04

I have traced a Amelia Florence Spalding death notice and requested the transcript, will see if this can help in any way.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 1 Feb 2014 09:23

The Harry Reginald Wade that was born in Bristol was still single according to the 1911 so that doesn't fit with the info Dawn was provided:

SCHOLZ, Gustav Head Married M 31 1880 Chef De Cuisine Austria Resident
SCHOLZ, Lina Wife Married4 years F 29 1882 Germany Resident
SCHOLZ, Kitty Daughter Single F 3 1908 London W C Resident
MEUER, Heinrich Boarder Single M 23 1888 Office Clerk Germany Resident
WEISS, Karl Boarder Single M 23 1888 Pastry Cook Austria Resident
ARBORN, Elsie Servant Single F 16 1895 General Servant Domestic London
GALE, George Thomas Boarder Single M 34 1877 Company Manager Barnstaple Devon
SCHROLDER, Otto Boarder Single M 23 1888 Motor Mechanic Germany Resident
>>WADE, Harry Reginald Boarder Single M 38 1873 Accountant's Clerk Gloster W Bristol

RG number: RG14 Piece: 1225
Reference: RG14PN1225 RG78PN42 RD14 SD2 ED10 SN81
Registration District: Holborn
Sub District: Clerkenwell
Enumeration District: 10
Parish: St James and St John Clerkenwell

Address: 17 Myddelton Square County: London
.................................................................................................................

Dawn, when someone asks for help on here we never know what research they've already done (e.g. the NASA records) so we just post whatever we find.

One thing I did notice is that the NASA records both refer to him as HENRY Reginald Wade so was that his "correct" name? Many Henrys are informally known as Harry.

Dawn

Dawn Report 1 Feb 2014 09:25

I have traced a Amelia Florence Spalding death notice and requested the transcript, will see if this can help in any way.