Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Thomas Bauen - a test

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Harry

Harry Report 23 Jan 2014 19:12

Cheatinjg slightly. My son has bought a grandfather clock "Thomas Bauen, 1790?, Cheshire - apparently made by him.

Not quite ancestry I know but similar. Any help welcome.

Happy days

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 23 Jan 2014 19:20

Try googling for it

Harry

Harry Report 23 Jan 2014 19:30

Have done all that. Pretty sure it's Bauen although Bowen seems a clockmakers name.

Happy days

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 23 Jan 2014 20:01

all I could find

Richard Bowen, a London maker whose address is not known, but who was in business in the earlier half of the 17th century, was one of the first makers of a keyless watch. In the London Gazette for 10-13 January 1686, there is an advertisement, 'Lost, a watch in black shagreen studded case with a glass in it, having only one Motion and Time pointing to the Hour on the Dial Plate, the spring being wound up without a key, and it opening contrary to all other watches. R. Bowen, Londini, fecit, on the black plate.' Another watch by Bowen is said to have been given by Charles I in 1647, while at Carisbrooke, to Colonel Hammond. It is a large silver watch with two cases, the outer one chased and engraved with a border of flowers and the figure of the king praying, and the words: 'And what I sai to you I sai unto all, Watch.'

From: 'Industries: Clock and watch-making', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 2: General; Ashford, East Bedfont with Hatton, Feltham, Hampton with Hampton Wick, Hanworth, Laleham, Littleton (1911), pp. 158-165. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22169&strquery=Bowen Date accessed: 23 January 2014.

Industries - Clock and watch-making | A History of the County ...
www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22169 Cached
Sir Thomas Herbert relates in his Memoirs, ... Richard Bowen, ... He was clockmaker to George II, ...

Harry

Harry Report 23 Jan 2014 20:19

Very kind of you Ann. I've also found clock by a Thomas Bowen - why the name should be different is a mystery. My son is a bit of an expert on clocks - appeared many times on television. Wouldn't think he'd make such an elementary mistake.
Perhaps the maker had German ancestry and chose to spell that way, but he is apparently not in any clockmakers guides.

Best wishes Happy days

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 24 Jan 2014 00:42

There actually are Bauens recorded in Cheshire in the late 1600s early 1700s -- I would have thought a transcription error but since there are four different events (2 baptisms, 1 marriage and 1 burial) in a single location in Chester and one in Eccleston, it is a possibility

https://familysearch.org/search/record/results#count=20&query=%2Bsurname%3Abauen%20%2Bany_place%3A%22cheshire%20england%22

Harry

Harry Report 24 Jan 2014 11:26

Very interesting. Thank you for taking the time to help. Much appreciated.

Happy days