Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Waterloo Ancestor?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Peter

Peter Report 20 Jan 2014 23:32

Hi there, found this on FindMyPast:

Waterloo Medal Roll1815

Name: James Smithergall

Regiment: 7th (or QUEENS OWN) HUSSARS

Sub unit:

Fate:

Title:

I wonder if it could be an ancestor of mine? Does this mean James died?

My ancestor James Smitheringale married an Elizabeth and baptised James(1784), Henry (1787) and Ann (1789) in Langtoft, Lincolnshire.

Would there be a way of confirming?

Best wishes,

Peter

Mike *

Mike * Report 21 Jan 2014 00:00

Names are different so don't think you can assume that's him

Is this yours ?

Name:
James Smitheringale

Birth: Abt 1760 - Lincolnshire, England
Death: Jan 1855 - Lincolnshire
Parents: Smitheringale
Spouse: Elizabeth

Peter

Peter Report 21 Jan 2014 00:48

No, but where did you get that?

That COULD be him although I've never found a baptism of marriage!

Wow, I'm very interested in this!

jax

jax Report 21 Jan 2014 02:03

The only death in 1855 is this one

Parish Records Collection burial
Printer friendly version First name(s): James
Last name: SMITHERINGALE
Date of burial 13 Mar 1855
Age at death: 42
Calculated year of birth: 1813
Place of burial Langtoft
Dedication: St Michael
County: Lincolnshire
Notes:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Langtoft St Michael:
Denomination: Anglican
Coverage 1754 - 1900
Number of entries: 1,848

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Record source: National Burial Index
Data provider: Lincolnshire Family History Society

Deaths Mar 1855 (>99%)

Smitheringale James Bourn 7a 242

So what Mike has posted could come from someones ancestry tree??

Edit - Yes it does so I would ignore that

Peter

Peter Report 21 Jan 2014 16:59

Is the tree on ancestry? If so, which one? I would like to see that tree as it seems to initially pertain to my research.

With this, would still be interested in locating this medal to the individual person if more information can be gained.

Peter

jax

jax Report 21 Jan 2014 17:04

There is more than one tree with that info....which is obviously just added because it was there and not correct

Just to add there are no parents named for him on any tree or wifes surname, so dob could just be a guess like his date of death

Mike *

Mike * Report 21 Jan 2014 18:31

When I asked "is this yours" I meant was it your tree on ancestry ?

Sorry, should have said.

jax

jax Report 21 Jan 2014 18:39

Also if this man was fathering children 30 years earlier would he have fought at the Battle of Waterloo? If it is a Smitheringale with the wrong spelling....I would have thought it would more likely to be his son rather than him

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 21 Jan 2014 18:49

James Smitheringale
1760 - 1855
View tree
Born: Lincolnshire, England
Lived in: Lincolnshire, England
Died: Lincolnshire, England
immediate family members including Elizabeth and Henry

James Smitheringale
1740 - 1828
View tree
Born: Lincolnshire, England
Died: Lincolnshire, England
immediate family members including Ann and Ann

SMITHERINGALE Family Tree Matches - Family Name Search Results
www.mundia.com/au/Search/Results?surname=SMITHERINGALE&... Cached
James Smitheringale. 1835 ... Died: Lincolnshire, England. ... Father's given name Spouse's/Partner's given name Show current members only

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 21 Jan 2014 19:01

GENfair - Lincolnshire Family History Society - Parish ...
www.genfair.co.uk/product_list.php?sid=77&page=69123 Cached
Transcriptions of parish registers and bishop's transcripts for baptisms marriages and ... Lincolnshire Family History ... Baptisms 1754-1812, Marriages 1700-1837,

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 21 Jan 2014 19:12

in case of interest

SMITHERINGALE, GEORGE OWEN, Gladstone Street, 99484, Gunner, Royal Garrison Artillery. Died of wounds 22.11.17. Buried in Dozinghem Military Cemetery, Grave XV.C.13.

SMITHERINGALE, JAMES E, Gladstone Street, 7302, Private, 1st Northamptonshire Regiment. Killed in action 17.9.14 on the Aisne. 1914 Star. Commemorated on La Ferte-Sous-Jouarre Memorial.

photograph of James E Smitheringale on site

Army R-S
www.warmemorial.firstworldwarrelics.co.uk/html/army_r-s.html Cached
... Private, 7th Northamptonshire Regiment. Killed in action 27.9.15 at the Battle of ... 7th Lincolnshire Regiment ... James E Smitheringale. SNEESBY ...

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 21 Jan 2014 19:17

Complete list of recipients of the Waterloo Medal, issued to all who took part in the battle. Virtually the roll call of the British regiments and corps, including the King's German Legion, who fought in the battle. Lists are arranged by regiments/corps, placed in order of precedence, and in most cases broken down into companies or troops (cavalry) within regiments and battalions, each identified by its officer commanding. In some units casualty details are given. The staff are shown separately. A truly historical record.
This medal was the first award issued to all ranks, and set a precedent for the issue of campaign medals.It was awarded to all those who served at the battles of Ligny, Quatre Bras and Waterloo 16th-18th June 1815.The battle is well-known, and a wealth of literature on the subject is available.The most sought-after awards are, as usual, those to officers and to casualties.In addition, medals to cavalry regiments are popular, especially those to the 2nd Dragoons (Royal Scots Greys),who made a famous charge during the battle.Awards to members of Colville's Division consisted of the 35th, 54th, 59th and 91st Foot.Some 39,000 of these medals were issued, 6000 were issued to Cavalry; 4000 to Guards; 16,000 to Line Regiments; and 5000 to Artillery.In addition, there was the usual contingent of supply personel, and a 6,500 strong contingent of the King's German Legion. This latter group played an important part in the battle and suffered high casualties, The medal itself was always issued in silver and is unusual in that the head of the Prince Regent is shown, whilst all other campaign awards show the head of the relevant king or queen.The reverse depicts the figure of Victory..Originally, the suspension was by a steel clip and ring, but as this was unattractive and prone to rust, many recipients had suspenders fitted privately.The naming is always in large impressed Roman capitals, with stars at the beginning and end of the naming to fill up any free space.The ribbon is of crimson, with blue edges. This roll is a list of recipients of the Waterloo Medal, issued to all who took part in the battle, including the King's German Legion. Lists are arranged by regiments/corps, placed in order of precedence, and in most cases broken down into companies or troops (cavalry) within regiments and battalions, each identified by its officer commanding. In some units casualty details are given. The staff are shown separately.
0%

Details

Product Code: 3106
ISBN: 9781843420231
Format: SB. 404pp +15p index of units and sub-units. 2001 N&MP Reprint of Original Edition Published Price £45
Shipping Time: Usually despatched within 2-5 Days
Our Price: £45.00

WATERLOO MEDAL ROLL :: Battle Of Waterloo 1815 :: Napoleonic ...
books.national-army-museum.ac.uk/waterloo-medal-roll-pr... Cached
Complete list of recipients of the Waterloo Medal, issued to all who took part in the battle. Virtually the roll call of the British regiments and corps, including

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 21 Jan 2014 19:19

Product Code: 3106
ISBN: 9781843420231
Format: SB. 404pp +15p index of units and sub-units. 2001 N&MP Reprint of Original Edition Published Price £45
Shipping Time: Usually despatched within 2-5 Days
Our Price: £45.00 January Sale Price: £36.00

Waterloo Medal Roll - Naval & Military Press
www.naval-military-press.com/waterloo-medal-roll.html Cached
Complete list of recipients of the Waterloo Medal, issued to all who took part in the battle. Virtually the roll call of the British regiments and corps, including ...

Peter

Peter Report 21 Jan 2014 20:49

Thank you for this - I link most of the 19th Century Smitheringales but struggle with a James Smitheringale who was baptising children in Langtoft, Lincs in the 1780s - one of these was a James Smitheringale who I beleive may have died in 1826 in Stickney under the name SMITHERGATE ... later, even from as recent as the 1880s the name was spelt Smitheringale/Smithergale/Smitheringate/Smitheringdale etc.

Hence the reason I think Smithergall could be linked - especially the further you go back in history.

As I say, I have most of the 19th Century lot linked but there seems to be a gap from the 1740s-1780s and then lots of them before, mainly around Linconlshire/Northampton/Cambridgeshire and some in London (which is were some of mine moved to in the 1850s).

I am on ancestry so will have a look at those trees.

Peter