Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

William Turvey Bn Bucks/Beds 1806

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

alan

alan Report 19 Jan 2014 15:13

Is anybody in Australia descended from the above man, he was transported to Australia in 1830 for 14 years?
Alan.

greyghost

greyghost Report 19 Jan 2014 15:24

Welcome to the boards Alan.

A member on here called John has a Wm Turvey b 1806, no place given.
Try "Search " top right of this page, then "Search all Members trees", input the details and his name will come up. You can then click on his name and send him a private message to see if you have a match and if so if he has any further information. Create your own message, nothing automated

It's unlikely that anyone related will just happen to find your message.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 19 Jan 2014 16:18

William Turvey William Turvey, one of 192 convicts transported on the Royal Admiral, 01 July 1830 Bucks Assizes

Royal Admiral Convict Ship 1830 - Convict Records of Australia
www.convictrecords.com.au/ships/royal-admiral/1830 Cached
... Australia in 1830 with 194 ... 01 July 1830: Suffolk Quarter Session: William Turvey: ... William Williams, one of 192 convicts transported on the Royal ...

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 19 Jan 2014 16:19

Conviction & Transportation
Sentence Severity

Sentenced to 14 years
Crime: -
Convicted at: Bucks Assizes
Sentence term: 14 years
Ship: Royal Admiral
Departure date: 1st July, 1830
Arrival date*: 1st March, 1831
Place of arrival New South Wales
Passenger manifest Travelled with 193 other convicts

Convict Records: William Turvey
www.convictrecords.com.au/convicts/turvey/william/94340 Cached
William Turvey William Turvey, one of 192 convicts transported on the Royal Admiral, ... Australian Joint Copying Project. Microfilm Roll 89, ...

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 19 Jan 2014 16:24

Surname:Turvey - Genealogy
www.werelate.org/wiki/Surname:Turvey Cached
... including the descendents of William Turvey (1). ... Australia . Four Turvey brothers from ... Frederick and Thomas, were transported to Australia in the ...

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 19 Jan 2014 17:41

From Ancestry. New South Wales-Convict Indents 1788-1842

Turvey William age 24, can read and write, married, family = 1. Native place Mabridge. Trade, Ploughman, reaps and sows. Offence fowl stealing. Tried, Aylesbury on 01/03/1830. Sentence, 14 years. Height, 5 foot 5.75 inches. Complexion, ruddy. Hair, brown. Eyes, grey.

There is also another William Turvey in Buckingham shire also born c1806. Alive and well with family on the 1841 census

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 19 Jan 2014 18:17

Also from Ancestry
Certificate of Freedom
All personal details as above except sentence looks like seven years but all dates, offence, description etc as above . Certificate date 19/03/1844. Prisoner number 30/2032.
Remarks ( exactly as written)
Small scar under each eye, small dark mole under left side of mouth. Right thumb dislocated 01/03/1830. On upper (presumably a word missing here) man woman (tattoo ?). Bottle and glass on left arm. Crucifix and two human figures on breast.
Hilda To?????? Number 41/2352 dated 02/11/1841 WB

This last reference appears on other convicts Freedom papers, I can't make out what follows Hilda could be Toleasu, maybe someone else with Worldwide Ancestry can have a look. Thought it might be the name of a boat but can't find any link.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 19 Jan 2014 18:55

the ship was The Royal Admiral if my posting is correct

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 19 Jan 2014 20:56

Hi Ann that's right he went out on the Admiral. What I can't read is on his Cerificate of Freedom in 1844. I wondered if maybe he/ they, the convicts, were sent back again and this was the name of that boat. I hope someone else can take a look at the original on Ancestry.

I found a Ticket Of Leave but although the names the same the dates and de tails don't match.

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 19 Jan 2014 21:20

Found another Ticket Of Leave , the right one.
Prisoner 30/2032. Date 02/11/1841. All same details sentence 14 years.
P. Extended for 12 months ??1845.
Allowed to remain in the district of Muswell Brook. On recommendation of
Per being of 36/1837 dated 26/12/1836. Cancelled.

Written lengthways down the side margin is.....Per the governors minute on a petition by Turvey R number 41/10726

Not sure what it all means, maybe he petitioned to be allowed to stay in Muswell Brook and the petition was cancelled. Just a stab in the dark really.

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 19 Jan 2014 21:29

Other Turvey convicts with year of arrival

Thomas Turvey
View Record
Thomas Turvey
View Record
Mary Ann Turvey
View Record
Mary Ann Turvey
View Record
William Turvey
View Record
William Turvey
View Record
Edward Turvey
View Record
William Turvey
View Record
James Turvey
View Record
Frederick Turvey
View Record
George Turvey

alan

alan Report 20 Jan 2014 17:06

Hi Wendy,Thanks for info, I just thought some one in Australia would have a census results for 1851 with his place of birth.
I had all the records about his conviction etc which I got from the record offices 25 years ago but didn't get his "Ticket of Leave" then,but it doesn't seem to show his birthplace.
Alan