Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family tree maker 2014 advice needed -please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Familyfinder

Familyfinder Report 15 Jan 2014 22:02

Hi
I had FTM 2010 installed on my computer - and the computer went horribly wrong! Its been for a repair etc and have been told its saved on the system - but It is now windows 8 -and I can't make the 2010 disc load to open anything :(

Can anybody clever tell me what to do next. I googled and it said that 2010 FTM is not compatible with Windows 8. I looked for a 2014 programm but there are several and i don't know what to get. There is a 2014 update , a 2014 download from Ancestry.com and a 2014 deluxe. Now very confused,frustrated and worry i might write over /wipe all my research if I do the wrong thing!

Please help someone?
Thank u :-S

Dorothy

Dorothy Report 16 Jan 2014 04:56

I have windows 8 and I have both 2006 and 2011 family tree on my pc no trouble at all

Familyfinder

Familyfinder Report 16 Jan 2014 09:11

Ok - just won't load it :( - thanks

Familyfinder

Familyfinder Report 16 Jan 2014 09:31

I've contacted Ancestry.co.uk and They've told me I have to completely uninstall my FTM program and load it again :( Now have to work out how I can back it all up if I can't open it!

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 16 Jan 2014 11:22

Did you upload your tree to Ancestry ?

I have bought a new laptop with windows 7 on it . Have FTM 2006 on my old XP PC and trying to load it onto the new laptop it wasn't compatable . I bought the new FTM
and loaded that and on opening it I was given the option to load the tree back from Ancestry .

Even thought the new FTM IS different format the tree loaded back into the right places

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 16 Jan 2014 13:23

I believe the program stands alone and just uploadss the data when you open it My young grandson managed somehow to lose my data file when he was on on my PC .when i tried to open the FTM I got blank pages so the programme was there but not the data file.

Fortunately I had saved the info to a memory stick ,even though it wasnt up to date, and I managed to get the data from the stick back onto the FTM

Why not ring Ancestry gain to ask them if the FTM is blank so you can uninstall it then re install and then the data will open in it