Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Elizabeth Tweddle - died 1750s, Danby, Yorkshire

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Peter

Peter Report 13 Jan 2014 17:44

Hi there,

I have come across this probate record:

Elizabeth Tweddell, late of Commondale, Guisbrough, now of Danby. Widow. dated 8.6.1749, proved 5.7.1760 (f.408)

cousin John Langburn, Esther his wife & their sons John & William Langburn
Jacob Nevison's 3 children
David, Christopher & [blank] Morley sons of David Morley
Isabel Lawrence daughter of Joseph Lawrence
William Webster son of Thomas Webster
Joseph Lawrence of Great Ayton, Yeoman
wit: ?Geo? Metcalfe, Jonathan .....sliff, Richd Williamson

John and Esther Langburn are my direct ancestors and I am trying to find a connection to to Elizabeth through a baptism etc.

Although I've not found a marriage for John and Esther, I do know that Esther and John bought land in Danby in the 1720s when they were engaged, before they planned to marry. Esther was then Esther Fotherly, widow of John Fortherly.

From looking for an 'Esther' born in Danby c. 1690-1710 I found an Esther TWEDDLE baptised in 1702 and then a marriage of an Esther Tweddle marrying a John Fotherly in 1720 in York.

John Fotherly died 1725 and left Esther a wealthy widow and she married John Langburn soon after (son William born c. 1726 and John baptised in 1732 in Glaisdale).

So, why would John be described as a cousin of Elizabeth if Esther was a Tweddle by birth?

Hmmmm, thank you!

Peter

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 13 Jan 2014 18:10

'Cousin' was a term to describe wider relationships than we use now.

Bit confused with your post....Easily done :-D...."Esther Tweddle marrying a John Fotherly" but the probate refers to cousin John Langburn, Esther his wife"

Anyway I would suggest that "cousin John Langburn' is related to Elizabeth Tweddell in some way either by blood or marriage.

Chris

Peter

Peter Report 13 Jan 2014 18:26

Sorry, Esther Langburn was formerly Esther Fotherly,nee TWEDDLE.

I was trying to explain how I discovered that, nothing more lol. Sorry for the confusion.

So, do you now see my cousin when the will seems to show John Langburn a relative of Elizabeth Tweddle and NOT Esther Tweddle.

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 13 Jan 2014 18:55

I think that in those times, your cousin's husband would also be termed your cousin. If Esther and Elizabeth were blood cousins it's quite likely that Elizabeth would call Esther's husband her cousin as well.

However, don't forget that if Elizabeth Tweddle was a widow, her maiden name was not Tweddle. Esther Tweddle would be her husband's relative, not hers.

Peter

Peter Report 13 Jan 2014 22:39

Thank you Beverley - unless they were marrying cousins themselves to keep the wealth in the family?

Would be good to know more.

Can anyone spot anything? I am struggling!

Peter