Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Searching for ancestor through DoB?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

EmilyJade

EmilyJade Report 30 Dec 2013 19:08

I'm searching for my Great-Grandmother. She was known as Margaret Roberts until she got married and was called Spurr. I've been told she took up the name of her mother's partner, who may have been her father.

Until I get paid I can't get hold of a marriage certificate to help me to my research, is there anyway I can find her mother's maiden name through searching with her DoB?

She was born on the 29th of January 1930. I have no idea what her parents were called. She was illegitimate so this is proving difficult.

I acknowledge the marriage certificate will help, but I have her exact date of birth. Just searching with 'Margaret' through the event quarter '1' leaves me with nothing as I don't know her surname. Help?!

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 30 Dec 2013 19:13

Hello EmilyJade, do you know where she would have been born?

Did she marry as Roberts?

Can you tell us anything about her mother - might give us some clues to work back from.

EmilyJade

EmilyJade Report 30 Dec 2013 19:16

She died in Nottingham and I believe she was born there or perhaps in Derbyshire; as where live is close to both.

She married as Roberts and was always known as Roberts. She wasn't born as Roberts, that's the hard part. She changed her surname when she was young.

No idea on her mother or father. Only that she was illegitimate. Her parents may have been married, they may not.

Dea

Dea Report 30 Dec 2013 19:20

Is this the marriage please?

Marriages Mar 1948 (>99%)

Roberts Margaret Spurr Nottingham 3c 971
Spurr Arthur Roberts Nottingham 3c 971

Dea x

EmilyJade

EmilyJade Report 30 Dec 2013 19:21

Yes that's the marriage!

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 30 Dec 2013 19:26

we have already been through all of this

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1335511

EmilyJade

EmilyJade Report 30 Dec 2013 19:29

I'm asking if you can search through birth dates whilst I wait for the certificate

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 30 Dec 2013 19:37

If we could have searched on dates we would have done so when trying to help on your other thread .

Births anyway are listed in the quarters on the GRO records

I do know the frustration of wanting to find things when you are on a roll but its not fair to start another thread for the same family as helpers will be spending time going over what has already been done :-)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 30 Dec 2013 19:42

from Genes Help thread at the top of the page

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1267972

Please don't post about the same person or family twice as this can make extra work for the volunteer helpers

jax

jax Report 30 Dec 2013 19:47

Not sure why you want to purchase the marriage cert, when you have already said no father is mentioned

My gt grandmother was illigitamate....she added a father when she married...a made up one

EmilyJade

EmilyJade Report 30 Dec 2013 19:52

I was told purchasing it could show witnesses etc that would be good to look into for extra information

jax

jax Report 30 Dec 2013 19:55

You said on your other thread your grandmother has it....will she not tell you whats on it?

EmilyJade

EmilyJade Report 30 Dec 2013 19:59

I spoke to her today and she can't find it, thus I've had to send for a new one
She only remembered that there were a few witnesses names but said she was sure there was no father's name but it's worth a look
Helpless I know

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 30 Dec 2013 20:42

Searching for Margarets who were registered in Mar q 1930 in Nottinghamshire I got four results. Checking marriages using the mums maiden name with a Mr Roberts I got no results in either Notts or Derbys.

I then checked for Margarets born in Derbyshire and got six names. Checking the marriages for a Mr Roberts and using those six names I got

Nottinghamshire

Surname First name(s) Spouse District Vol Page
Marriages Sep 1938 (>99%)

Moss Mary Roberts Mansfield 7b 220
Roberts Herbert W Moss Mansfield 7b 220

And in Derbyshire

Marriages Dec 1932 (>99%)
Mason Edith A Roberts Shardlow 7b 1367
Roberts Ralph Mason Shardlow 7b 1367

Marriages Dec 1943 (>99%)

Mason Joyce E Roberts Chesterfield 7b 1660
Roberts George A Mason Chesterfield 7b 1660

These could be totally irrelevant as you don't know her surname at birth or even where she was born.

I haven't posted the relevant births as they may relate to living people but you will be able to find them on freebmd.

If it was me doing the research I would be ringing the relevant register office and asking of they would search the birth using the dob that you have to see if it was the right one. Some offices are very helpful in that way.

Chris

EmilyJade

EmilyJade Report 30 Dec 2013 20:52

Thank you so much!
That's so helpful, I'm incredibly grateful!