Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

South African look ups?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tawny

Tawny Report 6 Dec 2013 23:38

Can anyone on site do look ups for South Africa? As this involves possible living relations (1934) I would rather not post the details on the open forum.

Tawny

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 7 Dec 2013 01:59

Not very much is accessible for South Africa ...

a site that will show deaths and divorces up to a certain point (and I'm afraid I don't know what that is) is

http://www.national.archsrch.gov.za/sm300cv/smws/sm300dl

click on

All Archives Repositories and National Registers of non-public records

and then search for names

The site is horribly temperamental in my experience, including just now. I did find divorce records in the 1970s though, after that it just kept giving me error messages.

Tawny

Tawny Report 7 Dec 2013 08:09

Thank you. I will try the site and see what I find

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 7 Dec 2013 10:17

this is an easy free site - www.familysearch.org - and it covers the world

Tawny

Tawny Report 7 Dec 2013 13:48

Thank you will check that site too.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 7 Dec 2013 16:52

I had never investigated what familysearch has for SA ... here is a listing

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/list#page=1&countryId=1927115

Records seem to be kept by province/state as they are in Australia, Canada and the US, so it could be hit and miss.

I did a simple search for Smith, marriage, South Africa, and got 5,334 results :-)

Then I did a search for the name of a branch of one of my families that I know ended up in SA and sure enough, there are marriages in the 1930s and 1940s ... I had found the relevant divorces earlier at the national archives site (well before familysearch had all these records available) back when I just suspected that was where the family went.

More there than I had realised so it is certainly good to know, thanks AnnCardiff for pointing that out.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 8 Dec 2013 12:45

my pleasure :-D