Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GLADYS COLE BORN 1912 DURHAM

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

jenVG

jenVG Report 15 Nov 2013 19:35

GLADYS COLE BORN Q4 1912 IN SEDGEFIELD COUNTY DURHAM WITH A MOTHER'S MAIDEN NAME OF CONNOR. Is there any way of seeing the electoral registers for that area at that time. I have had no luck with tree searches so far.
This is connected with the John William Cole thread as I want to eliminate him from having fathered a child with my relative Mary Ann Bass nee Connor.
I am reluctant to give up on this but understand if you are all yawning with boredom on this one. Thanks for reading this. I could not get it to the top of the original thread on John William Cole. Sorry

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Nov 2013 20:04

To add to your original thread, either use the 'add your reply' box, or if wanting to add to the first post, click 'edit' on the green/blue line about it.
You'd need to contact the local archive or a main Sedgefield Library who may hold historical ER.

There was no universal suffrage in 1912 meaning that a woman is unlikely to be listed unless she is a property owner. In most cases, only the male head of the household was eligible to vote......as long as he was 21 or over.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Nov 2013 22:31

Buy a copy of the birth cert for the names of the parents - worth £9.25 to put your mind at rest

The ER would have to be searched by exact address............and, as already stated, the Electoral franchise in 1912 was VERY limited

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Nov 2013 22:36

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1333751

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Nov 2013 22:37

You have added to the original thread, so not sure what your problem is...........

All you needed to do was edit the title to indicate that you had added a further request

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Nov 2013 22:50

If this is Mary Ann..............why would she be in Sedgefield in 1912?

Marriages Dec 1907 (>99%)
BASS Henry Frederick Mile End 1c 768
CONNOR Mary Ann Mile End 1c 768

1911 census

Person: BASS, Henry Frederick Address: 25 Arbour Sqr Stepney E

BASS, Henry Frederick Head Married M 25 1886 Motor Van Driver London Bethnall Green VIEW
BASS, Mary Ann Wife Married F 21 1890 Nil London Whitechapel

jenVG

jenVG Report 16 Nov 2013 10:11

I don't know. However the family of Mary Ann know for sure that she left her husband Henry Frederick(my uncle) and "ran off" with a policeman. I have a few Arbour Square policemen/neighbours and have been checking each one. According to his probate, he was eventually back with his family and left his estate to his stepdaughter.(Gladys Darnell on the 1911 census) I was just checking all births with Cole - and mmn Connor. A long shot. Yes - I will have to get the cert. or give up on this line of enquiry. Thanks for your interest in all this once again. regards
jennifer

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 16 Nov 2013 10:17

One small point.............

The stepdaughter was the Executor of his Will...........not the legatee

jenVG

jenVG Report 16 Nov 2013 11:37

Thanks for that.