Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sarah Isabella Weldon, Hull, Yorkshire, b.1875

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gillian

Gillian Report 15 Nov 2013 03:06

Sarah Isabella Weldon, born in Hull, Yorkshire, in 1876, was the 1st wife of my grandfather, Frank Harvey, born in Hull, 1875. They were married in Hull, on the 25th December, 1901, but according to the 1911 census record , where Frank appears as a boarder and single , it seems that they must have separated sometime between 1901 and 1911, as Sarah is not at the same house and no record can be found for a Sarah Harvey or a Sarah Weldon in 1911, anywhere in England. Sarah's father was Charles Weldon, a poultry dealer and mother was Kate Weldon.

Frank Harvey lived with my grandmother, Elizabeth Dean, ( born in 1893, Hull) from about 1912, when they had their first child and was not able to marry her because Sarah would not divorce him and it wasn't until March, 1937, that Frank and Elizabeth were married, after having had 6 children. I am assuming that it was only possible then, because Sarah must have died, given her reluctance to divorce Frank Harvey. I have tried, unsuccessfully, to find Sarah's death record and she does not appear to have remarried . I had thought that the reluctance to divorce my grandfather might have been because there was a child involved, which is why I wanted to find her in the 1911 census records.
Has anyone any ideas about where to look for the death record and census record, please ? ( My searches through Ancestry.co, Findmypast.co and Yorkshire BMD, were unsuccessful, so any help anyone can give would be very much appreciated.) My research is done only online , as I live overseas. Thank you

Gillian.

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 15 Nov 2013 04:18

There is this marriage of a Sarah I Harvey, but you would need the cert to confirm if correct one:

Marriages Sep 1927 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dalton Charles S Harvey Hull 9d 722 Scan available - click to view
Harvey Sarah I Dalton Hull 9d 722

Gillian

Gillian Report 15 Nov 2013 05:48

Hi Vanessa,

I have just checked the marriage details you gave me about Sarah I . Harvey( nee Weldon) and thought that I would cross check to see if there was a Sarah I Harvey, born in Hull . There was a Sarah I Harvey, born at West Sculcoates, Hull, in 1903, October quarter and when I found her in the 1911 census, where she was at her uncle Thomas Harvey's home, she was called Sarah Irene Harvey, aged 7, born in Hull. Th ere was a Charles Sydney Dalton born in Sculcoates, Hull, in 1900, so I would think that he married this Sarah Irene Harvey in 1927, rather than Sarah Isabella Harvey. However, even though it seems that Charles Dalton married Sarah Irene, I appreciate the time you have taken to help me with my research.

Thank you very much,

Gillian.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Nov 2013 08:37

This woman was born second half of 1876

Deaths Jun 1951 (>99%)
HARVEY Sarah I 74 Lothingland 4b 777
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Births Sep 1876 (>99%)
Weldon Sarah Isabella Hull 9d 279

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Nov 2013 08:40

This confirms who Dalton married

Death
Name: DALTON, Sarah Irene
Registration district: Bridlington
County: Yorkshire
Year of registration: 1997
Month of registration: July
Date of Birth:5 October 1903
District no: 5441
Reg no: 41A
Ent no: 026
DOR: 797

Choccy

Choccy Report 15 Nov 2013 09:50

England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858-1966

Name: Sarah Isabella Harvey
Probate Date: 18 Oct 1951
Death Date: 10 May 1951
Death Place: Lowestoft
Registry: Norwich

of 6 Princes Road, Lowestoft, widow
Administration (with Will) to Ethel Cook (wife of Herbert William Cook)
Effects - £1291 2s 6d.

Gillian

Gillian Report 16 Nov 2013 02:58

Thanks to the following members, Vanessa, Reggie and Choccy ,who have contributed information about Sarah Isabella Harvey ( nee Weldon).

With your help, it is obvious that the Sarah I. Harvey, who married Charles Dalton in Hull , in 1927, was not Sarah Isabella, but Sarah Irene and so it appears that Sarah Isabella did not remarry after separating from my grandfather, Frank Harvey.
It does seem highly probable that the death record and probate record provided by Reggie and Choccy, are the right ones and so I will send for that death record, and hope it confirms what seems to be correct.

Since Sarah's maternal grandmother, Eliza Willman, was born in south Lincolnshire, perhaps Sarah moved south from Hull to live with relatives, after her separation and ended up in Suffolk .

Thanks again for your help.

Gillian.

:-)

Choccy

Choccy Report 16 Nov 2013 06:33

It is possible that Frank Harvey just wanted to 'put his house in order' before his death at the end of the year, and did/did not know whether Sarah was still alive.

England & Wales, Marriage Index, 1916-2005

Name: Frank Harvey
Spouse Surname: Dean
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1937
Registration District: Hull
Inferred County: Yorkshire East Riding
Volume Number: 9d
Page Number: 562

England & Wales, Death Index, 1916-2007

Name: Frank Harvey
Birth Date: abt 1875
Date of Registration: Dec 1937
Age at Death: 62
Registration District: Hull
Inferred County: Yorkshire East Riding
Volume: 9d
Page: 235

Gillian

Gillian Report 16 Nov 2013 08:05

Hi, Choccy,

Yes, I suppose you could be right and that it is possible that Frank knew that Sarah was alive ( if it was the case). Sarah might, in the end, have given up and let Frank have a divorce, but no one in the family seems to know and I had assumed that Sarah must have died before 1937 because my grandparents hadn't married until then and so I didn't search beyond 1937 for Sarah's death. Anyway, I will send for her death certificate and see if that clears it up.

I am still searching for her in the 1911 census, but it might have been because she didn't take part, as I have heard something about the suffragette movement and their civil disobedience regarding that. Sarah might have been a suffragette

Thanks for your help,

Gillian..

Gillian

Gillian Report 6 Dec 2013 04:25

Hi, Vanessa, Choccy and Reggie,

I just thought that I would thank you all once again for the time you took to help with my query about Sarah Isabella Harvey. ( nee Weldon). I have just received her death certificate and it confirms that she was the former wife of my grand father Frank Harvey. She is recorded as being the widow of Frank Harvey, horse carter journeyman ( which is what he was when she married him in 1901). She is actually correctly described as his widow, though he evidently married my grandmother, Elizabeth Dean in 1937, when he was not, as described on the marriage certificate, a widower and was not apparently divorced from first wife, Sarah. Unless, of course, Sarah did divorce him, but chose to regard herself still, as his widow, for appearances sake. I appreciate your help, as I never would have thought to search for Sarah beyond 1937, thinking that she must have died, for my grandparents to be in a position of being able legimately to marry at last. just to make absolutely sure that there was no other Sarah Isabella married to a Frank Harvey between 1901 and 1951, i did a search and only 7 records turned up, including their marriage in 1901 in hull and there were no others anywhere, only Sarahs, Sarah Elizabeth , Sarah A and Sarah J. and they didn't necessarily marry Frank, as there were others in the lists for marriages taking place on particular dates.

I am still searching for Sarah in 1911, but I don't hold out much hope of finding her, because I have tried everywhere and nothing turns up, so she might not have participated in the census. ( Or gone by a completely different name!)

Gillian.

mgnv

mgnv Report 7 Dec 2013 19:08

I think her birth was rego'ed in the Myton subdistrict of Hull RD.

Here's Reggie's GRO hit with a couple of other names from the same page:

Births Sep 1876 (>99%)
Hill Charles Hull 9d 279
Weldon Sarah Isabella Hull 9d 279
Warrener James Thomas Hull 9d 279
etc

and these are from YorksBMD:

Yorkshire Birth indexes for the years: 1876
Surname Forename(s) Sub-District Registers At Mother's Maiden Name Reference
HILL Charles Myton Hull MYT/106/242
WELDON Sarah J Myton Hull MYT/106/243
WARRENER James T Myton Hull MYT/106/244

[I've contacted YorksBMD to ask them to check their transcription]

Gillian

Gillian Report 8 Dec 2013 06:57

Hi Mgnv,

The Yorkshire BMD birth index for Sarah J Weldon appears to be incorrect, as there is no other Sarah Weldon born in 1876 apart from Sarah Isabella. I hope that they correct this, since you say that you have pointed it out to them. Finally I have discovered what happened to Sarah after she and my grandfather separated, so now I have to find out where she was in 1911!

Thanks for sending the information.

Gillian.