Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Forces War Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date
Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

Sylann

Sylann Report 14 Nov 2013 18:58

Hi
I've got quite far back with my tree but hit a wall with John McAlpine
When he married in 1807 he was in the Militia in Scotland

On Forces Records their are 2 John McAlpine's
1807 & 1815

Not sure if one is mine and if the info they have is worth paying for
I was wondering if anyone has a membership for this site if they could
look up these 2 soldiers for me PLEASE

Thank you

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 14 Nov 2013 19:35

I can see the 1815 one but not the 1807.There is one in 1805 but spelt differently, he was in the Navy anyway

This is the 1815 one, no way would you know if its your man, not much info.Im afraid the records for this era are not very informative

First Name:
John

Initials:
J

Surname:
McAlpine

Nationality:
British

Serjeant

Campaign Medals:
Waterloo Medal

The Waterloo Medal was issued in 1816-17 and awarded to John McAlpine, and to anyone who had taken part in one or more of the following battles: Lingny, 16th June; Quatre Bras, 16th June; Waterloo, 18th June.

This is the first medal issued by the British Government to all soldiers present at an action and the first campaign medal awarded to the next-of-kin of men killed in action.

George

Sylann

Sylann Report 14 Nov 2013 20:14

Thanks George

It's saved me £8 He was receiving an allowance for two children in 1813, I got that from the Scottish archives But they have that many catalogues it would take ages and still I might not get anything, then theirs the traveling I live in Manchester

the other one was 1805 spelt differently but as you say he was navy

Thank you for your time

mgnv

mgnv Report 14 Nov 2013 20:36

Napoleonic War - Regimental indexes 1806 Transcription
First Name:John
Last Name:Mcalpine
Year:1807
Enlistment month:Sep
Regiment:4/1st Foot
WO25:911

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 14 Nov 2013 23:23

Did his marriage record specify his regiment?

Sylann

Sylann Report 17 Nov 2013 15:54

Sorry for delay
His marriage just said an Irregular marriage Soldier in the Berwickshire militia
The Scottish archives found that he was claiming for children under 10 from Berwickshire Militia register of declaration
1st in 1811 for one child
2nd in 1813 for 2 children

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 17 Nov 2013 17:21

There might be records, such as Muster Rolls, at the National Archives, Kew. What do you want to find out?

Sylann

Sylann Report 18 Nov 2013 17:20

Sorry again for the delay my laptop has got the funnies and keeps showing an error message

I was hoping I might be able to find out where he was born or anything
that will give me something to work on

I've got his Marriage, Think I've got all his children , got him in 1841 census aged 55 with his wife Margaret 55 and Daughter 15 in Linlithgow but it says born in Scotland but not in county for John and Margaret

All the people doing this tree have him mixed up with another John McAlpine who married Margaret Spence but he WAS born Linlithgow

Thank you for replying

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 18 Nov 2013 17:55

I don't think Militia Muster Rolls this early would give a place of birth but might be worth a look!

Sylann

Sylann Report 18 Nov 2013 17:58

Thank you