Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Thomas Hughes 1783

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Robert

Robert Report 23 Oct 2013 22:57

The eldest son of my gx3-grandfather Thomas Hughes was Thomas Hughes, baptised 29 Jun 1783 in Llandrillo, Merionethshire.

In 1824 the elder Thomas left a will in which he bequeathed his son Thomas £170...a lot of money in those days. However he did not leave him the farm or any other property and there is good evidence that Thomas had not been in the village for some while.

The further clue is that the old guy left £10 to his grandson Thomas the son of his son Thomas, "to put him apprentice when his father thinks fit".

Thomas Hughes is such a common name that it seems a bit like looking for a needle in a haystack, but does it ring a bell with anyone that a Thomas Hughes son of Thomas, originally from a Welsh background, becomes an apprentice?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 23 Oct 2013 23:08

What are you trying to find out?

If you hope for links on GR..........look in 'search all trees'

Susan

Susan Report 24 Oct 2013 03:59

Do you have this one ..all born same place

1851 Wales Census
about Thomas Hughes Name: Thomas Hughes
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1781
Relation: Head
Where born: Llandrillo, Merionethshire, Wales
Civil Parish or Township: Garthiaen
Ecclesiastical parish: St Asaph
County/Island: Merionethshire
Registration District: Corwen
Sub-registration District: Gwyddelwern
ED, institution, or vessel: 8c
Piece: 2509
Folio: 232
Page Number: 17
Household Schedule Number: 80
Household Members: Name Age
Thomas Hughes 70 <<<<Farmer with 100 acres.....2 lab's...Widow
Robert Hughes 27 Son <<<Can't see apprentiship here
Janet Hughes 25 Dau
Jane Jones 18 <<<<Servant
Joshua Roberts 18 <<<<Servant
John Davies 15 <<<<Servant

If this is him he has done quite well for himself

Susan

Susan Report 24 Oct 2013 04:07

Same family in 1841.

1841 Wales Census
about Thomas Hughes Name: Thomas Hughes
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1781
Where born: Merionethshire, Wales

Civil Parish: Llandrillo
Hundred: Edernion
County/Island: Merionethshire

Street Address: View Image

Registration District: Corwen
Sub-registration District: Gwyddelwern
Neighbors: View others on page
Piece: 1428
Book: 20
Folio: 3
Page Number: 10
Household Members: Name Age
Thomas Hughes 60 <<<<Farmer
Robert Hughes 70
Elizabeth Hughes 40
Jennet Hughes 16
Robert Hughes 18

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 24 Oct 2013 10:48

Name: Thomas Hughes
Event Type: Baptism
Event Date: 29 Jun 1783
Event Place: Llandrillo, Merionethshire, Wales
Spouse's Name:
GS Film number: 2422650
Digital Folder Number: 004394855

Robert

Robert Report 26 Oct 2013 02:38

Hi Susan,

Thanks for your assistance here.

I was very confused by all the Hughes records in Llandrillo to begin with, but with the help of four booklets from the Clwyd Family History Society, who have carefully transcribed the parish records, I have sorted most of them out.

Thomas Hughes of Garthiaen is oddly enough not clearly related to me, even though his property is next door to Llechwedd, Garthiaen which was the farm of my great-great-great-grandfather, also Thomas Hughes.

Even today, Garthiaen or Garthian is a separate property from Llechwedd. Note that Garthiaen was also the name given to a township of Llandrillo, applying right back into the Middle Ages. Note also that Llechwedd, Garthiaen is completely different from Llechwedd Cilan.

Thomas of Garthiaen was, ironically, linked into my family tree by marrying Elizabeth Evans of Hendwr in 1820. She was a sister of Jane Evans, my gx2-grandmother and daughter of Robert Evans and his wife Jane who produced at least ten and perhaps eleven children.

Some of these farmers married rather late in life, which of course farmers often do to this day. I shouldn't talk anyway, I was 44! (Not a farmer though).

Note that the Hughes surname on our line only became fixed with Thomas Hughes (1755-1824). His father was Hugh Roberts of Llechwedd, Garthiaen, who died in 1777. Tracing back beyond him has eluded me so far as the patronymic system was then in use, and of course a handful of forenames were endessly recycled!

Any enlightenment you can bring to our tree would be most welcome. Sadly, I have nothing for you on your stated research areas, but if there is anything I can do to help you please let me know.

Robert Hughes (England).